Options

Replies

• JenniValentine1
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :)
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have seen this before and for me it has great meaning because that "fat girl" could be me. I joined a gym and I am not feeling afraid anymore.

Thanks for re-posting!! :flowerforyou:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Heh.
  • chelseybell92
    Options
    Wow. This topic was such a great affirmation for me.

I rarely run. But today I decided to do some intervals on the treadmill at the gym, and ran really hard during a few of them. I felt so self-conscious because I was breathing loudly and shakily (a big part of the reason I never run), and I knew it was because I'm overweight. Today I told myself I'd do it anyway even if I felt like people were staring or something.

Then I come home to this topic. Totally made my day. :) Thank you for this.
  • lauriebeakley1
    Options
    I just cried my eyes out, Slim Fast bar in hand! I'm not running yet because walking at 2.5mph on the treadmill is a bit of a task for me right now but that is up from the 2.0 mph I was doing a month ago. I exercise at home because I need that privacy, too. I think I'm going to print that out & read it often as a motivator. Thank you for sharing that. It's something I needed right at this very moment.

:flowerforyou:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Heh.

This isn't quite the response you got, if I recall correctly.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Heh.

werent there pitchforks?
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Heh.

werent there pitchforks?

And fire!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Yes it's been posted before, and thank you for posting it again. I hope this gets posted regularly.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Heh.

werent there pitchforks?

And fire!

Be patient. It's still early
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Heh.

werent there pitchforks?

And fire!

And something about mean spirited fat shaming and certain people actually being women, if I recall it correctly
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like it but I find it incredibly condescending. YMMV.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I agree.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

I think it's mean spirited masquerading as inspiring. But, you take what you can from where you can.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

I think it's mean spirited masquerading as inspiring. But, you take what you can from where you can.

I think if you're the type of person that is willing to stand in the mirror and call yourself names, or has a tendency to be sarcastic or engage in trash talk, then this is inspiring. I am, so it is. To me.

If you are the type of person that prefers a more overtly positive self talk, and prefers overtly supportive motivation, then it probably does come off as condescending as hell.

Just my 2 cents.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options

I think if you're the type of person that is willing to stand in the mirror and call yourself names, or has a tendency to be sarcastic or engage in trash talk, then this is inspiring. I am, so it is. To me.

If you are the type of person that prefers a more overtly positive self talk, and prefers overtly supportive motivation, then it probably does come off as condescending as hell.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm actually that first type. But I won't take it from anyone else. Lol. Perhaps I'm an anomaly.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Just my 2 cents.

I'm actually that first type. But I won't take it from anyone else. Lol. Perhaps I'm an anomaly.

Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm just wrong . . .

It wouldn't be the first time!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    bump
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The word "fat" is just a descriptor.
  • Jackie_Paper
    Jackie_Paper Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    All I see this as is "hey fatty, I sure do respect you now that you've decided to try and not be a fatty anymore"