Lost 10 lbs and decided it was time to sabatoge it all!

Options
So last week at this time I was approaching my 10lb mark from the first of the year. It has been a long time since I lost 10 lbs. That is 10lbs of the 90 lbs I want to lose. So Thursday I hit the 10 lb mark, I looked in the mirror and I couldn't tell you where the 10lbs was, then Friday the depression of my weight set in, and the eating commenced. Most of the weekend too. I'm trying to get back on track today but I have been so mad at myself for allowing it to happen. The first weekend my boyfriend (who is so supportive of me) has been out of town all year and I fall off.

What is everyones trick for getting back on when you have fallen off? I so want to lose the weight this time and keep it off!!!

Replies

• notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My #1 trick is to just get over it!

Focusing on the regret and shame of "falling off the wagon" will only depress you. Try to focus instead on your goals and accomplishments. A 10lb loss is wonderful, it is a major milestone so you need to own it!

I find that the best way to keep myself in check and to keep those off days to a minimum is to make sure that I am tracking every single calorie, even on the days I go way over. Keep your diary public so you aren't able to hide anything and make sure to track every meal, snack, and indulgence.
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Pick yourself up, brush off and start again! It's worth it. :flowerforyou:
    I have been losing the same 5 pounds out of 20 again and again.
    This time I am determined to lose all the 20 lbs.
    I am losing weight for my 30th bday! :)
  • Livestrongalways
    Options
    I know how you feel :( I started last month and have had a few bad days aswell, but that doesn't mean that you have failed so please don't look at it like that, just learn from it :) when I have days like that I eat until I feel guilty then stop when I think about my reasons for doing this in the first place :) a few days aren't going to set you back much just start again and recognize the reasons it started in the first place, also do you have many supportive friends on here? Asking as I wouldn't have survived my binges without having my fit friends on this, they have been there to keep me motivated and tell me what I need to hear, I do hope you get to where you want to be but remember only you can do it! No-one has a magic wand to help you only support and cheer you all the way :D best of luck x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The weekend is over. Today you have a decision to make. Are you going to work towards weight loss or not? It's totally up to you. What do you want?
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I think you need to remember that just because you do not see the difference yet, it does not mean it isn't happening. You strayed this weekend because you let yourself get upset over a lack of visual change. Did you take a picture at start and compare it to the 10lb loss? You might not see any drastic changes for a while. That doesn't mean they are not happening.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    The weekend is over. Today you have a decision to make. Are you going to work towards weight loss or not? It's totally up to you. What do you want?

This!!!! :wink:
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Measuring is key for me, the scale hates me!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Just climb back on the wagon. Write out your goals. Break them into manageable, forward-looking chunks. Don't be unrealistic and change a bunch all at once and make it easy to fail. Baby steps. Slow and steady.

And forgive yourself. Been there, done that. Better to get back to it 3 days in rather than 3 years into a downslide!

Brainstorm and write out plans of action for when you are facing tough times. Go over them again. And again. Be proactive about the planning so when stress and temptations occur, you've already gone over and determined how you're going to handle it. And have the fall back plan of how you're going to handle it if you fail (hint - it includes forgiving yourself and just getting right back into the right swing of things).

Take pictures and measurements once a month, weigh weekly, and never let it get you down if there aren't dramatic changes or if you fluctuate a bit here and there. If you are accurately weighing and measuring your food and eating at a deficit, you will start seeing differences eventually.
  • _jessicamarie_
    _jessicamarie_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to Weight Watchers meetings, I had a leader who once said "If you trip down a couple stairs, you don't throw yourself down the rest of the staircase." It cracked me up and really resonated with me. So if you have one meal or one day or one weekend that's a failure, just stop and regain your balance and then keep going! Don't throw away all your progress because of one slip up. It happens!
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 55lbs and even with pictures I can't see any differences to when I started and I've got about the same again to go. Really drains your motivation but if you give up early on you're never going to see any changes at all.
  • kaihunter45
    kaihunter45 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have worked really hard to change the mindset that you going through right now. I have finally taught myself that the past is the past and what matters is right now, this minute. So if you can't use this past weekend to motivate yourself, then forget about it and start with a clean slate from this very minute. I hit a plateau at around 55 lbs down and I am working to get past that and not let everything I've done go. Who knows, maybe this time will be the time. I'm driven by a TV commercial for stopping smoking....It doesn't matter how many times your try to quit smoking. Just so you keep trying to quit. And I've adopted that mindset to losing weight.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite inspirational quotes is....."Look up....get up.....and don't ever give up."

You can keep looking in the rear view mirror at what happened....or you can look ahead, be proud of what you have accomplished and get to work again. Losing weight is hard, but so is being overweight. Which one will choose to work on?? We can not make that decision for you, but we can encourage you to keep moving forward and keep working on being the person you want to be for yourself.

My hope for you is that you get up....and don't ever give up.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    10 pounds is great. Even if you overate this weekend your weight is still less than when you started, so think about whether you want to go forward and continue losing or whether you want to go back to where you were and keep gaining weight from there (unless you were eating at maintenance at that point).
  • When I used to go to Weight Watchers meetings, I had a leader who once said "If you trip down a couple stairs, you don't throw yourself down the rest of the staircase." It cracked me up and really resonated with me. So if you have one meal or one day or one weekend that's a failure, just stop and regain your balance and then keep going! Don't throw away all your progress because of one slip up. It happens!

LOVE THIS!!! Someone else posted last week that giving up on your plan or goals is like slashing your other 3 tires because of a flat! This stuck with me, especially the past weekend when I ate movie popcorn which put me over my cals ALOT! Today I got right back on plan and refuse to let myself quit. I've done that my whole life. Now I will use these 2 visuals to guide me on my journey, I think of how stupid it would be to toss myself down a staircase, or slash my tires and as the above poster mentioned...its funny to envision that and puts things in perspective. Hope this helps!
  • nmcguier
    nmcguier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    With what everyone is saying, a minor setback does not undo your progress. Realistically you did not eat an extra 30,000 calories over the weekend so you aren't back to square 1. Pick yourself up, brush off the crumbs, and start the week with a new attitude. As a side note, if you are tall and/or have a large body frame you might not be able to see results in the mirror until you lose 20 or 30lbs. The bigger your structure, the more surface area over which lbs can hide. It's frustrating, but hey, you know you're losing the weight.
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Gaining back 10lbs in 2-3 days seems very unlikely. Can you provide a list of the things you ate?
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Forget it, tomorrow's a new day. Just go one day at a time & forget the scale, just tell yourself each morning, "Today I'm going to eat well & burn some calories." Get through that day & do the same thing the next morning.........
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it took years to become over weight you won't lose it overnight

if you really want it-you will do what it takes! Period!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just move on and get it back together. We are all guilty of making excuses for why we fail, start bucking that system.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The good news is that much of that 10 pounds of weight loss probably wasn't fat anyhow. That's supported by the fact that you gained it all back in 2-3 days, which would be almost certainly impossible.

How much of a daily deficit are you at? Or if you don't know the answer to that question, what is you daily calorie limit? A frequent cause of "falling off the wagon" is trying to eat too few calories.

This process takes a while...certainly longer than 5.5 weeks. Assuming your deficit was too high (which is admittedly just an assumption), adjust your daily calories to a more moderate deficit and set your sights on a longer-term goal. You'll find it's a lot easier to do when your deficit is more reasonable too.

Best of luck.