"Unclean" IIFYM Success Stories and Pics please?

Options

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting, and this is in no way disparaging everyone's success, as I truly believe that whatever works for you to get to your goals is what you should do, but scanning profiles of a lot of the posters, it seems that there is a pretty narrow demographic of people who have had success with the IIFYM idea. While there are people on the outside of the ranges, it seems that most are men in their mid to late 20's to early 30's. For women, its around the same range but maybe extended a bit as there are a few women in their early 40's who have had success.

Maybe this is the general cross section of age here on MFP in general, I'm not sure, but I found the rather narrow age range, especially in men, interesting. Thinking back on when I was that age, I could eat pretty much anything and not worry about it, it wasn't til I was in my 40's that things caught up with me. It makes me curious to see if this will continue to work for you in 20 years.

Personally, I found eating this way worked for me for about a year. I began my weight loss journey about 2 years ago at age 49. I was 280lbs and lost 50lbs doing nothing but portion control and exercise. Then I hit a long stall where I was losing and gaining the same 5lbs over and over. Last August I started cutting back on my carbs, and that's when the scale started moving again, where I'm now 7lbs from my goal weight of 200. That doesn't mean I don't eat ice cream or what I want, if the carbs are there for that day, I'll have some treats. I suppose I follow an IIFYM plan, just with a different macro setup than is typical.

Anyway, you all are doing great, keep it up, it's inspiring for me to see the success you've all had!

Yes, you are IIFYM. You aren't ruling out any food or food group... You just fit your macros.

There are plenty of people outside of the noted demographic (me for one, also almost everyone on my FL) who are also successful on IIFYM. I don't post less-clothed shots because I'm a little bashful & it's too cold right now. :blushing:
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Love this.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    What are the IIFYM people setting their macros to, out of curiosity?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What are the IIFYM people setting their macros to, out of curiosity?

Standard recommendations are (assuming weight loss as goal)

Protein somewhere between 1 and 1.4 grams per lb of lean body mass
    Fat somewhere between 0.3 and 0.35 grams per lb of total body mass
    Carbs... the rest.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    What I find interesting, and this is in no way disparaging everyone's success, as I truly believe that whatever works for you to get to your goals is what you should do, but scanning profiles of a lot of the posters, it seems that there is a pretty narrow demographic of people who have had success with the IIFYM idea. While there are people on the outside of the ranges, it seems that most are men in their mid to late 20's to early 30's. For women, its around the same range but maybe extended a bit as there are a few women in their early 40's who have had success.

Maybe this is the general cross section of age here on MFP in general, I'm not sure, but I found the rather narrow age range, especially in men, interesting. Thinking back on when I was that age, I could eat pretty much anything and not worry about it, it wasn't til I was in my 40's that things caught up with me. It makes me curious to see if this will continue to work for you in 20 years.

Personally, I found eating this way worked for me for about a year. I began my weight loss journey about 2 years ago at age 49. I was 280lbs and lost 50lbs doing nothing but portion control and exercise. Then I hit a long stall where I was losing and gaining the same 5lbs over and over. Last August I started cutting back on my carbs, and that's when the scale started moving again, where I'm now 7lbs from my goal weight of 200. That doesn't mean I don't eat ice cream or what I want, if the carbs are there for that day, I'll have some treats. I suppose I follow an IIFYM plan, just with a different macro setup than is typical.

Anyway, you all are doing great, keep it up, it's inspiring for me to see the success you've all had!

FWIW I'm 45, and I have had some pretty good results with IIFYM.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    9848f843019186759c3762ce89ccbb73-d21vevo.jpg

Just consider that your body's systems understands chemical compounds and their constituents, and *knows* what to do with them. Your body does NOT know anything about the names we give to these items. Give your body the nutrients it needs and don't stress.

Also, to another poster, FWIW, I'll be 40 in 9 days and was obese for two decades. A medical condition and/or personal preference are the only logical reasons to avoid any foods.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The reason that age range dominates on the boards is because that age range more or less dominates the internet and technology sector in general. IIFYM is very much a grassroots, spread-on-the-internet kind of thing. There are no big corporate or celebrity interests behind it and so it has no traction in the mainstream media or diet industries.

On top of that it is also a you can't really do this easily without apps thing.

You don't have to use MFP, there are other options; but you've got to be tech savvy to some degree. You can get by with simply using the 'net, but stepping up your game to a smartphone makes it a lot easier. Trying to do it pen and paper would be be impossible for all but the most driven.

So IIFYM has a strong crossover with the my smartphone is a tool demographic.

IIFYM is not a dietary control mechanism for those with ATG (acute technological grandpaism).
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The reason that age range dominates on the boards is because that age range more or less dominates the internet and technology sector in general. IIFYM is very much a grassroots, spread-on-the-internet kind of thing. There are no big corporate or celebrity interests behind it and so it has no traction in the mainstream media or diet industries.

On top of that it is also a you can't really do this easily without apps thing.

You don't have to use MFP, there are other options; but you've got to be tech savvy to some degree. You can get by with simply using the 'net, but stepping up your game to a smartphone makes it a lot easier. Trying to do it pen and paper would be be impossible for all but the most driven.

So IIFYM has a strong crossover with the my smartphone is a tool demographic.

IIFYM is not a dietary control mechanism for those with ATG (acute technological grandpaism).

lol
  • jeannieela
    Options
    Thank you so much, have learned quite a bit here reading everyones post! I started doing herbalife 2 weeks ago and have managed to lose 5lbs on it but the week before i lost 5lbs just exercising and eating healthy (I even had a #1 from Mcdonalds).

I was looking at my food diary from the past few days and my fiber intake is between 6 and 10 grams per day which explains why im not using the bathroom (TMI, sorry) My daily calories were 1200 and i was eating only 800 cal/da 45G carb, 90 protein and 73g of fat. I also work out 6 days a week for 1.5 hrs each day (just started 4 weeks ago) Im 155lbs and 5'6 Now i changed to 1600 cal/day 155 protein 105 carb and 62 fat.

I will stay like this and see what happens, i looking to lose the extra 20 lbs i put on the past 2 years :-)

Thanks again
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Tagging this thread for a before after pic after 20 week prep for first bb comp using flexible dieting :smile:
  • JonasLifts
    JonasLifts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello guys i have a question please answer i have been on the IIFYM been eating 80% clean and have like 8 sweets before hitting weights my weight on the scale is going down fast but not seen alot of visual change is this normal? :)))
  • PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I have followed IIFYM since starting dieting.

My success thread from last year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

I don't have many before pics:

cea21870-1296-4b91-9623-f289f8b87912_zpsae467229.jpg

Some 'after' pics:

110958e8-8d0c-4e0c-a9f8-0eea483ade3c_zps36b8cb8f.jpg

54d80132-44e7-42ac-9b5b-3981bbcb5cab_zpsc3138642.jpg

eb3bc9d9-f01d-4e81-a785-1b4917bc3ace_zpse23c4a90.jpg

05ed838d-6604-445c-80ec-162c08af3c85_zpsc853ce23.jpg

Um. I hope you don't mind my saying so, but holy cow, you look awesome. And thank you for sharing, because it is so nice to see that, hey, you don't have to give up everything you love to be in great shape!

• PharmGirl522
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The thing about eating clean is that it's not just for your weight loss- processed foods contribute to heart disease, diabetes, cancer, bone disease, so much! You can be skinny and still be at risk for all of those things by eating a highly processed, unnatural diet.

yes, you can be skinny and still be at risk for all of those things...but living a sedentary lifestyle vs a relatively active lifestyle would be a greater contributing factor than whether or not you had a couple slices of pizza for dinner.

don't get me wrong, I believe in having a well balanced and nutrient dense diet...but you clean eaters and your fear mongering are unbelievable.

AMEN to that.

• PharmGirl522
    Options
    By all means, continue eating your processed foods. Diet yourself to death, but don't say nobody warned you.

6ttwx.jpg

I love this.

How do you know someone eats clean?

Don't worry, they'll f-ing TELL YOU.

Clean eaters, in my experience, go into the same category as anti-vaxxers and fundamentalist religious nuts. When they start in, I just nod and smile, all the while letting their foolishness go in one ear and straight out the other.

• KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I have followed IIFYM since starting dieting.

My success thread from last year:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

I don't have many before pics:

cea21870-1296-4b91-9623-f289f8b87912_zpsae467229.jpg

Some 'after' pics:

110958e8-8d0c-4e0c-a9f8-0eea483ade3c_zps36b8cb8f.jpg

54d80132-44e7-42ac-9b5b-3981bbcb5cab_zpsc3138642.jpg

eb3bc9d9-f01d-4e81-a785-1b4917bc3ace_zpse23c4a90.jpg

05ed838d-6604-445c-80ec-162c08af3c85_zpsc853ce23.jpg

Inspiration!!! Amazing
  • fifisha
    fifisha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi , I have been using MF for a while now and altered my macros to iifym suggested grams. I have not been loosing weight but just maintaining even though I am now eating more than before.
    I do exercise atleast 3 times a week, this could be home exercise or running etc, I don't lift weight, do I need to?? It seems like most of the users above are lifting?

Response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MK
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mufida wrote: »
    Hi , I have been using MF for a while now and altered my macros to iifym suggested grams. I have not been loosing weight but just maintaining even though I am now eating more than before.
    I do exercise atleast 3 times a week, this could be home exercise or running etc, I don't lift weight, do I need to?? It seems like most of the users above are lifting?

Response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MK

You don't HAVE to lift weights to lose weight but it does greatly enhance body composition. Also, adding muscle will cause you to burn more calories at rest because muscle requires more energy to maintain than fat does.

How long has it been since you adjusted your intake goals? If it's only been a week or two then you may just need to give it a little more time. If it's been several weeks and you're not losing weight then you simply need to adjust your calorie goals (by reducing carbs since fat and protein goals are based on needs determined by your bodyweight). Nothing wrong with making tweaks here and there (after all, internet calculators can only give suggestions for a starting point anyway). IIFYM can certainly have room for trial and error until you figure out what numbers work for you.

ETA: please don't think I'm downplaying the awesomeness of weight lifting. I just meant that it's not absolutely necessary for simple weight loss. However, I think it's a total game changer when it comes to overall fitness goals (was for me). Lifting takes the game from "weighing less" to "looking better."
  • fifisha
    fifisha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response carlos_421: I have been on iifym for about 3 months now. currently on 1350 calories, carbs: 135 protein: 101 and fats :45( even though my calorie intake should be 1515: Carbs: 169 Protein: 98 and fats: 49), but i do eat back my calories burned during exercise. the reason for reducing calories was just incase I didn't get to exercise for the week, I therefore stick to 1350 calories.

But i think i might change it since I am not getting any weightloss and up my calories to 1515( as per iifym calc) and eat back half of my calories burned( as the above is based on no exercise/desk job couch potato option.

It still seems alot though 1515 eeekkk!! will give it a try for a couple of weeks and readjust if still no results.

Thanks,

Mk
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    jonnythan wrote: »

I guess I'll put the pictures here since others are as well:

Comparison-6-13_small.png

lipids.png

sugar.png

Comp.png

Awesome!!! Love the graphs as well.