Heavy lifters: dead lifting vs squats

Options

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Superior for what? They both work different muscle groups.

Right, whole body vs whole body! :)
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Fred Hatfield- 1014 squat. Something silly like a 766 lb dead lift.

Those are probably equipped numbers. I think the squat gear adds a lot more for squats than it does to DL. I wonder how Fred's raw numbers compare? They might be closer to each other.

I do think biomechanics matter when it comes to squat vs. DL numbers. Not sure which build is better for which, but I bet there is a study somewhere that does.

If memory serves Hatfield hit that squat back when I was in high school (a long time ago) so well before the current generation of gear. I'll bet he didn't get a big boost out of the gear. Seems like he was working on establishing a squat record and not a deadlift or total record so the disparity may be more related to a squat focus.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fred Hatfield- 1014 squat. Something silly like a 766 lb dead lift.

Those are probably equipped numbers. I think the squat gear adds a lot more for squats than it does to DL. I wonder how Fred's raw numbers compare? They might be closer to each other.

I do think biomechanics matter when it comes to squat vs. DL numbers. Not sure which build is better for which, but I bet there is a study somewhere that does.

If memory serves Hatfield hit that squat back when I was in high school (a long time ago) so well before the current generation of gear. I'll bet he didn't get a big boost out of the gear. Seems like he was working on establishing a squat record and not a deadlift or total record so the disparity may be more related to a squat focus.

I dunno- I have just recently learned of Hatfield and doctor squat- so I'm wildly amused- but haven' researched much- did anyone watch the video? can you see what happened?
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I dunno- I have just recently learned of Hatfield and doctor squat- so I'm wildly amused- but haven' researched much- did anyone watch the video? can you see what happened?

This is the vid of Hatfield's big squat. I had forgotten he was "old" at the time (45, and I just turned 45 so there goes my excuses... ;) ). I think they actually showed it on abc wide world of sports or a similar big network sports program back in the day. You don't see powerlifting on tv any more...
  • JoRocka
    Options

This is the vid of Hatfield's big squat. I had forgotten he was "old" at the time (45, and I just turned 45 so there goes my excuses... ;) ). I think they actually showed it on abc wide world of sports or a similar big network sports program back in the day. You don't see powerlifting on tv any more...

yeah it's just not a thing- unless it's for Olympics- but still- no one wants to watch big guys lift stuff any more- it's like on late night TV LOL.

shame.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Yeah my biceps are huge from doing squats.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

Get a lot of bicep work doing deads? Bicep tendon, maybe.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do both
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    According to Mark Rippetoe:

"The back squat is literally the only exercise in the entire repertoire of weighted human movement that allows the direct training of the complex movement pattern known as hip drive......and that is one of the things that makes the squat the best exercise you can do with barbells and, by extension, the best strength exercise there is."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

They act as a stabilizer.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like squats and soo does my Butt!!!! lol
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
    Deadlifts do more for your back than squats, squats do more for your legs than deads.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Haha superior.... Squats are amazing.. do barbell squats for a week and see the difference in firmness and lift! Deadlifts are great too, they work multiple muscle groups.. I can't pick one and will always have these basic moves in my lifting routine.

Someone mentioned lunges.. hate lunges with a passion. Got a better booty just doing barbell squats!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I personally think apples are far to superior to oranges.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    why all the lunges hate?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Meh I just don't like them. Apples/oranges kinda thing.. I will do lunges from time to time but I'd much rather squat like its hot
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    why all the lunges hate?

Ahh... they are painful to do... duh!!

Legs day today. Going to focus on deads today. Its going to be awesome make all that noise in the gym.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I like deadlifts because I like having a PR that starts with a 2 instead of a 1. :bigsmile: I like squats because I still find them technically challenging, so I really have to focus on form to make sure I am doing them correctly.

Just "learned" clean squats, which were really fun! Had to be very focused on technique, so was doing lower weights (up to 75 pounds).
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Ok so I want to know which is superior, deadlifting or squatting coz I seem to prefer deadlifting to squats as I am able to deadlift heavier than squats. Anybody knows which is better?

"superior" in what respect? both are great exercises, both are great foundation building exercises that are designed to engage many muscle groups. if you can define "superior" it will help me to better respond.

thanks...