Some friends who won't like my under-calorie status?

Whenever I report my status for having a calorie deficit, invariably a few well meaning friends will like my status.

Like on a day where my goal is 3730 cals and I only hit like 2500 cals.

FACEPALM!!!

Its "diet bias"

I feel a victim of it too when my calorie tracker at the bottom doesn't show my weight to go properly because it just assumes everyone is losing weight by default. Its broken if you try to show weight you need to gain.

And even if it were to work its worded as needing to lose -15lbs lol.

Replies

• knot_enough
    knot_enough Posts: 176 Member
    tsk tsk. weight says nothing about body composition
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    people "like" my status when it automatically says YAY YOU"VE BEEN HERE FOR 5 DAYS IN A ROW.

I log in way more than that- it just resets it all the time. whatever - it is what it is.

totally irrelevant. it means nothing. Just eat more ice cream.
  • I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

• totally irrelevant. it means nothing. Just eat more ice cream.

Ice cream means everything!! *eats more ice cream*
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am trying to lose weight, but I never like anyone's under goal status.

I REALLY REALLY wish MFP would change it to something like a "was within 5% of goal" status.

In the meantime, I just never close out my diary. If I do, you can bet I have a had a rough day and just really need to have a way of saying to myself "That's it, you can't have any more. Your diary is closed. Go to bed."
  • Yeah I wish they would change it too. It shouldn't be congratulating people for being under goal.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    I do sometimes like under goal statuses, but I check diaries first. Don't want to be inadvertently supporting someone to eat 800 calories or anything
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

Or meet the 1200 then exercise 400 of that away, netting 800
  • I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

Yup skerdoodles!!! Makes me wanna poke my eyes out sometimes...
  • I do sometimes like under goal statuses, but I check diaries first. Don't want to be inadvertently supporting someone to eat 800 calories or anything

And when you check out the diary and you see that everything was either measured with measuring cups or estimated... I cut them some slack then too.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I do sometimes like under goal statuses, but I check diaries first. Don't want to be inadvertently supporting someone to eat 800 calories or anything
    Same here.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Just to play the devil's advocate....

I usually leave some calories on the table to make up for overestimating exercise and underestimating food. And, of course, I have days when I'm way over.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I don't really know how you would even notice that.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I REALLY REALLY wish MFP would change it to something like a "was within 5% of goal" status.
    This times a million!!
    OR a goal "range" so we have two numbers and can aim for somewhere in between, this way I don't have to be under or over...I can be just right.
  • nikki0753
    nikki0753 Posts: 383 Member
    Whenever I report my status for having a calorie deficit, invariably a few well meaning friends will like my status.

Like on a day where my goal is 3730 cals and I only hit like 2500 cals.

FACEPALM!!!

Its "diet bias"

I feel a victim of it too when my calorie tracker at the bottom doesn't show my weight to go properly because it just assumes everyone is losing weight by default. Its broken if you try to show weight you need to gain.

And even if it were to work its worded as needing to lose -15lbs lol.

yeah i find theres not much support on here for gainers at all!
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

I get the frustration with people severely limiting their intake. I get that. But you don't "exercise" food away. I think that kind of thinking is inaccurate at best, disordered at worst.

ETA: I also have issue with the program encouraging you to "eat your deficit" if you've exercised. You don't automatically eat more if you're active on a given day, if you're attempting to cut.

I get the frustration with people severely limiting their intake. I get that. But you don't "exercise" food away. I think that kind of thinking is inaccurate at best, disordered at worst.

*facepalm*

ETA: I also have issue with the program encouraging you to "eat your deficit" if you've exercised. You don't automatically eat more if you're active on a given day, if you're attempting to cut.

*double handed facepalm*
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Your facepalming doesn't indicate knowledge, hon.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member

So.... just how do you believe the whole "calories" thing works anyway?