Some friends who won't like my under-calorie status?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't really know how you would even notice that.

Yeah, I don't really care. People like my status when it says I'm under my calorie goal all the time even though I've been in maintenance for a long time, and now I'm trying to gain a bit. It doesn't matter. I've got so many friends, and they do too, they don't know who's doing what ,they're just trying to be supportive. I don't worry about it. It's not all me.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

Or meet the 1200 then exercise 400 of that away, netting 800

I get the frustration with people severely limiting their intake. I get that. But you don't "exercise" food away. I think that kind of thinking is inaccurate at best, disordered at worst.

ETA: I also have issue with the program encouraging you to "eat your deficit" if you've exercised. You don't automatically eat more if you're active on a given day, if you're attempting to cut.

So.... just how do you believe the whole "calories" thing works anyway?

I would try to explain it to her but apparently my facepalming disqualifies me as being intelligent enough to. Plus. I ain't got time for this. I gotta go eat more ice cream.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I especially find it irritating when someone has a 1200 calorie goal and then they are under goal and people congratulate them for being under.... Like no guys!! What you're doing is wrong!! *facepalm*

I get the frustration with people severely limiting their intake. I get that. But you don't "exercise" food away. I think that kind of thinking is inaccurate at best, disordered at worst.

ETA: I also have issue with the program encouraging you to "eat your deficit" if you've exercised. You don't automatically eat more if you're active on a given day, if you're attempting to cut.
    Yeah you do, if you're doing it the MFP way rather than TDEE. 800 calories net is not enough, it isn't about eating as little calories as possible and working as much of it off as possible, otherwise we could all just stop eating and we would magially look like fitness models. Food is a very important part of the equation.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

I would try to explain it to her but apparently my facepalming disqualifies me as being intelligent enough to. Plus. I ain't got time for this. I gotta go eat more ice cream.

Intelligence isn't measured only by knowledge, either. My statement made no assumptions about your intellect. Please don't take disagreement as a personal attack.

The vast majority of people on here (from what I've observed) underestimate the amount of calories they consume, and overestimate their exercise caloric expenditure. The site itself overestimates exercise expenditures. Encouraging users to "eat their deficit" for those trying to drop weight is counterproductive, particularly given the parameters I have observed.
    I'm sure for those who accurately track and weigh and measure their foods, and also who track their expenditures accurately, being aware of the deficit helps monitor their additional needs if they are trying to maintain, cut, or especially bulk. But that said, you're not going to "erase" having eaten a 2500 calorie meal laden with trans-fats by running long enough to burn 2500 calories. What I object to is the mentality that leads to, where one can "trade" eating for exercise.

I'll ETA for those who apparently overlooked that I also disapprove of such a low net calorie goal to begin with.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    The example you just gave.... So in the unlikely event of me burning off about the same amount of food I ate that day, that's OK in your opinion? It's not really any different to sitting around all day but eating nothing. Neither I would recommend. But then I like to keep my muscles while cutting, and actually put on weight while bulking

ETA: yeah you said that, but then completely contradicted it with everything else got said
  • Sarah4fitness
    Options
    Of course not. I also eat/exercise to preserve muscle while burning fat. Point is, it's unlikely, as you said, to burn off all one's daily calories UNLESS one is eating too few to being with ANYWAY. For where it's possible, I agree it's a bad idea. But I also doubt most MFP users are capable of doing that, or would want to, unless they're using mfp to aid their food/health disorder, which (it should go without saying) isn't the point of the tool or of my posts.
  • tegalicious
    Options

Intelligence isn't measured only by knowledge, either. My statement made no assumptions about your intellect. Please don't take disagreement as a personal attack.

The vast majority of people on here (from what I've observed) underestimate the amount of calories they consume, and overestimate their exercise caloric expenditure. The site itself overestimates exercise expenditures. Encouraging users to "eat their deficit" for those trying to drop weight is counterproductive, particularly given the parameters I have observed.
    I'm sure for those who accurately track and weigh and measure their foods, and also who track their expenditures accurately, being aware of the deficit helps monitor their additional needs if they are trying to maintain, cut, or especially bulk. But that said, you're not going to "erase" having eaten a 2500 calorie meal laden with trans-fats by running long enough to burn 2500 calories. What I object to is the mentality that leads to, where one can "trade" eating for exercise.

I'll ETA for those who apparently overlooked that I also disapprove of such a low net calorie goal to begin with.

No worries. I wasn't offended, just having a little fun. And I did make the comment that when I look at diaries I check to see if someone is estimating their intake and I don't get on them for eating under 1200 calories when it is obvious they are probably eating more than they think they are. Plus I pay attention to their weight loss numbers. If they are eating under goal but only losing a pound a week when they should be losing two, then I know their estimates for intake and outtake aren't as accurate as they could be. But I also don't like it when people get congratulations for being under. Comments like "way to be under" disturb me when someone already has the lowest calorie goal for healthy weight loss. And really we have taken this into a whole different direction than the op intended. This wasn't meant to be another 1200 calories debate thread.
  • obsidianwings
    Options

No worries. I wasn't offended, just having a little fun. And I did make the comment that when I look at diaries I check to see if someone is estimating their intake and I don't get on them for eating under 1200 calories when it is obvious they are probably eating more than they think they are. Plus I pay attention to their weight loss numbers. If they are eating under goal but only losing a pound a week when they should be losing two, then I know their estimates for intake and outtake aren't as accurate as they could be. But I also don't like it when people get congratulations for being under. Comments like "way to be under" disturb me when someone already has the lowest calorie goal for healthy weight loss. And really we have taken this into a whole different direction than the op intended. This wasn't meant to be another 1200 calories debate thread.
    Yep, this
  • Sarah4fitness
    Options

Yep, this

:red face: So we're all on the same page then. Sorry for the hijack!!!
    /hijack
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    LOL yep pretty much :P
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious you guys hijacked, since it's nutellabrah's thread and he's pretty famous for hijacking threads with craziness.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Hey now, i've seen people liking statuses or commenting "Good Job!" when people are eating 500 cals a day. I really don't think people are actually looking at your diary, bro.

There are like "Oh, you logged? Thats cool, have an upvote"
  • Jillian11905
    Jillian11905 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am ALWAYS under caloric goal on the days I exercise. My goal is 1200 and when I exercise it could easily go up to 2000 calories. Of course I am going to try to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories because my goal is to lose. So when it says I didn't eat enough calories, it's making me wonder should I eat what I burned??? LOL

If I do an hour of Zumba then it's like I need to eat a thousand more calories so I won't be under my caloric goal...It's actually quite confusing.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I disabled all that stuff because I found it annoying. Now, nothing I update gets posted so no one can "like" it.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think people just like it because a lot of people would rather be a bit under than over, plus for me if I'm 50-100 calories under I figure it helps make up for any possible miscalculations. That said, I'm rarely under by much. I see no problem if someone likes that I'm 10 calories under, just as I don't mind if people like when I'm a bit over. Now, I'm at 1750 calories and eat back most if not all exercise calories, if I were at like 1400 and people were saying way to be under I might be a bit annoyed... But I don't mind when I get to the end of the day a few hundred under, it just means I get to eat more yummy stuff. I think the fact that it's in red when you go over is seen negatively and makes people feel guilty. So far I don't, as even when I'm over I've been losing. I usually look at diaries before liking, if they're way under I don't like it.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I feel like I am ALWAYS under caloric goal on the days I exercise. My goal is 1200 and when I exercise it could easily go up to 2000 calories. Of course I am going to try to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories because my goal is to lose. So when it says I didn't eat enough calories, it's making me wonder should I eat what I burned??? LOL

If I do an hour of Zumba then it's like I need to eat a thousand more calories so I won't be under my caloric goal...It's actually quite confusing.
    If you are going by MFPS estimates you would be right to not eat them all back. It's only an estimate, and it's often over
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just to play the devil's advocate....

I usually leave some calories on the table to make up for overestimating exercise and underestimating food. And, of course, I have days when I'm way over.

Yep, this here, too. I ALWAYS assume that I am eating more than I have estimated and that I have burned less calories than I think. I've seen people do the opposite and then wonder why their weight never changes....
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I am in a Lupus lab trial for systematic Lupus and on the days when I receive treatment and maybe the day after I have to force myself to eat. When I write a note like " Feeling bad and queasy all day, am hungry, but won't eat, because I'll throw up " I still get " WTG, isn't it great to be under ? " , or " congratulations for your consistency ".....consistency in what.....throwing up ? Due to age and a height of 4'11.5" ( measured yesterday ! ) I do usually eat 1200 calories.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i think you all should drink more whiskey
    then you would not whine as much.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    people "like" my status when it automatically says YAY YOU"VE BEEN HERE FOR 5 DAYS IN A ROW.

I log in way more than that- it just resets it all the time. whatever - it is what it is.

totally irrelevant. it means nothing. Just eat more ice cream.
    Somewhat off topic, but you can turn that off. Then it doesn't alert your friends at all whether you've logged in 5 days or 486 days.