How does everyone manage to eat enough protein?

Options
I am really, really trying hard to up my protein to 0.8g per lb of body weight and it is just so hard! I had a 3 egg salmon omelette this evening, I am trying to find other sources of protein too - does anyone have any tips or snacks that I can include in my day?

My diary is open for everyone - I know I have a jelly bean addiction, I am really trying to knock that on the head but it is just really difficult to do.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    The majority of my protein comes from chicken breast and eggs. Chicken breast contains around 20g of protein per 100g. Then I make up the rest with food like cheese, beans and fish. You can always buy whey protein, which is convenient.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I fail a lot at it. But honestly if you're not losing weight anymore, you don't have to eat as much protein (unless you're trying to bulk, then... yeah lol).

I eat a whole lot of chicken. Shrimp is great too. Fish. Steak. Greek yogurt. Cheese. Eggs. Protein bars. Mostly if I don't have 10g of protein in all my snacks I pretty much fail at my goal... so I don't eat fruit much at all, bread not too often either (or it has to be whole grains with at least 5g of protein) and I don't eat oatmeal as much as I should either (and when I do I put protein powder in it).

With a goal like yours I'd never be able to reach 146g I think, I'd probably just eat the extra calories in junk LOL. Typically I'd rather use my non protein calories on sweets too.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I get between 100g (bad day) up to around 170g. You really have to focus your meals around protein. I use eggs, bacon, deli ham, chicken, pork, beef, fish, etc. I'm not a beans fan so I stick to the animal products. Sometimes I use whey protein.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time as well and have been googling non stop for ways to sneak in protein.
    I found this website.

http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable

Hopefully it helps you. :)
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I have 1/2 cup every morning, unless I'm making a protein pancake (egg whites and oats). Lunch is usually an egg white omelet, and I have some kind of meat or fish at dinner.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I've started making a breakfast smoothie that include half a cup of plain greek yogurt and a scoop of protein powder. I end up getting 38g just for breakfast. Then 5 oz of chicken at lunch and a couple eggs for dinner... it gets me close, but still not all the way there. Protein is hard!
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I've incorporated high protein bars into my diet, I choose ones that have 20g per bar. I still don't reach my goal, but I'm getting closer. Also eating more greek yogurt. I'm not a big meat fan but I do eat turkey and chicken from time to time which helps. Also chickpeas, beans, almonds will give you some decent protein.

I'm not a vegetarian but since I'm not crazy about eating meat every day, I like these options:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/protein-for-vegetarians-00412000078915/

I haven't tried this "seitan" stuff but may soon.
  • gamagem
    gamagem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 cups of Greek yogurt a day, 4 oz of chicken for lunch, whey protein powder after working out and some sort of meat/bean/fish for dinner and usually hit around 135g a day.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Take a look at my diary if you like, it's open. I generally get 175+ grams a day. Try replacing your breakfast oatmeal with greek yogurt to start with - that will get you 15-20 more grams right there! :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I have a protein bar every day for breakfast. At lunch, I have some kind of protein (egg, tuna, chicken). I also have a cup of greek yogurt everyday... some days in a smoothie... some days just eaten out of the cup. Also, on workout days I have a protein shake... and finally of course we always have a lean protein for dinner. If I'm a little short, sometimes I'll add peanut butter with my apple or a glass of milk, frozen yogurt for dessert.. something like that. I don't ALWAYS hit my goal for the day but I get pretty close for the week.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Sub two of your eggs for 4-5 servings of eggwhites.

Chicken.Tuna. Whey protein powder.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, if you want to see how I mix it up. I have yogurt, sometimes twice a day - once with cereal and once in a protein shake. I also eat a protein bar most days. Lunch has protein - a slice of cheese or cut up chicken. And dinner is protein, too - tonite it's a steak sandwich. Tomorrow it will probably be fresh fish. Even snacks have some protein - nuts in my trail mix.

Jelly beans are OK. Everyone needs a little fun. I wouldn't suggest eating a 5 lb bag each day, but live a little!
  • areinafierce
    Options
    So basically if I am unable to meet my protein goals, add more chicken and greek yogurt to my diet- is what Im getting from the responses... And whey protein powder? Good tips! But I hate greek yogurt, so Ill be upping the protein in bars and whey... LOL
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every morning...one whole egg and 3 servings of egg whites from a carton...calories are the same as 2 whole eggs, but I'm like triple the protein. I have my eggs with Greek yogurt

I eat some kind of meat, poultry, or fish at lunch and dinner.

I regularly consume legumes and lentils

I regularly consume other vegetable sources of protein like quinoa

I snack on nuts and the like

I supplement with whey as necessary
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, protein bars, fish, chicken, pork, beef, cottage cheese
  • Ralys
    Ralys Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's .8g per lb of LBM, not bodyweight. You probably don't need much more than 90-100 grams of protein.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Eggs, full fat cottage cheese, brick cheddar, and lots of meat.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    8 ozs of chicken on my lunch sandwich. at least 12 ozs of protein at dinner.