How does everyone manage to eat enough protein?

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Double scoops of whey protein once or twice a day really helps. Love whey.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, your protein at breakfast and lunch is usually pretty low. Add greek yogurt, lean meats, etc. to your earlier meals and it will become easier. It will also help you feel full longer and reduce the number of "healthy snacks" you seem to be consuming every day. Since you're already taking a protein supplement, can't add anything there. Lastly, depending on what your fitness goals are, you may be able to reduce the protein intake to .6 gram/lb or so. Hope it helps and good luck!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you seem to be a grazer, yes?

So, maybe a couple of tweaks to your day could really add a punch of protein.

Switch out oatmeal in the AM for eggs or greek yogurt.

Switch out the ham at lunch for turkey breast or roast beef.

Switch out some of your higher carb snack type foods for nuts, or quinoa, or a protein shake.

Those three minor changes could give you a big bang for your buck!
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    120g is "so much," but 100g is easy? ;)
    It's that extra 20g that I struggle with - crazy I know!
  • hazeljordan1974
    hazeljordan1974 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you seem to be a grazer, yes?

So, maybe a couple of tweaks to your day could really add a punch of protein.

Switch out oatmeal in the AM for eggs or greek yogurt.

Switch out the ham at lunch for turkey breast or roast beef.

Switch out some of your higher carb snack type foods for nuts, or quinoa, or a protein shake.

Those three minor changes could give you a big bang for your buck!
    I am a grazer to the extreme! I think you're right, more protein will help with that - I think the Greek yogurt is going to help a great deal.

Thank you again everyone.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It involves milk, yoghurt, cheese, eggs and meat!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It involves milk, yoghurt, cheese, eggs and meat!

Frank Merino, vegan calisthenics and bodybuilder, would not agree.

It's more about hitting the right amount than where it comes from.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    it definitely take some planning. I love starchy stuff sometimes so I used to buy those refrigerated lenders bagels. now I discovered the same brand makes egg bagels which are 8 grams of protein per bagel instead of 2 grams like the regular ones. Its not a great amount of protein, but it sure helps when you really have a starch fix lol
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ever since I discovered eggwhites, I've been set! I have a veggie omelet a few times a week, and then I'm pretty much set for my protein goal!
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I struggled so much when I started doing IIFYM!

I aim for 1g of protein for every 1lb I weigh (145lbs) and found it really hard at the beginning but slowly over the weeks I've built my level up and now I'm frequently over that number.

I have a protein shake for breakfast (it's fast and I mix it with cold coffee to speed things even more!)

Lunch is salad with protein: cottage cheese, chicken, turkey, egg, ham...

If I go to the gym I have another small protein shake after my workout.

Dinner is usually meat (beef, turkey, chicken) or salmon with veggies and either mashed potatoes or couscous or pasta.

If I'm hungry between meals I also snack on pre-cooked roast turkey chunks.

Build it in to your routine slowly and it will get easier :)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't eat much red meat, but still get it quite easily, mostly from:
    salmon
    1 cup of cottage cheese or 1 cup of plain greek yogurt at breakfast
    Beans and lentils

Also, try these protein pancakes. I make a triple batch in the blender, cook them all up, and then eat them throughout the week. I dip them in greek yogurt mixed with a little bit of maple syrup. About 30 grams of protein:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/227994799856840723/
  • ash_37
    ash_37 Posts: 35
    Options
    Isnt greek yogurt really fattening? Im looking for ways to also increase my protein intake but im not quite sure about the yoghurt.although I love it, can I really eat a whole glass or 2?
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Isnt greek yogurt really fattening? Im looking for ways to also increase my protein intake but im not quite sure about the yoghurt.although I love it, can I really eat a whole glass or 2?

Greek yogurt is extremely low fat and high protein. The carbs are about the same as regular yogurt. Most greek yogurt you find in grocery stores is nonfat completely, but some of the tastier varieties are 2% (like 3g fat/19g carb/12g protein)
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This is something I really struggle with as I am vegetarian (no fish either) and I am not a big egg fan, in addition I am currently cutting back on processed food and sugars, so Greek yoghurt doesn't normally have sugar in right? I am dubious about whey protein (the cutting back on processed crap thing) as I don't always know what's in it. I am in the UK can anyone recommend a good brand?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    2,261 calories? I am guessing you do a lot of exercise.

Why?? That's 1000 calories under my normal TDEE... so explain how that is a lot???

OP: I eat around 160 per day. chicken, eggs, cheese, yogurt, tuna, cottage cheese, milk, tofu, tempeh, turkey, pork, quinoa, some nuts and beans, protein powders, occasional protein bars, I cant' eat shrimp but if you can they are an awesome source,

Greek yogurt is healthy fat, you need healthy fat in your diet and it's low in fat anyway.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This is something I really struggle with as I am vegetarian (no fish either) and I am not a big egg fan, in addition I am currently cutting back on processed food and sugars, so Greek yoghurt doesn't normally have sugar in right? I am dubious about whey protein (the cutting back on processed crap thing) as I don't always know what's in it. I am in the UK can anyone recommend a good brand?

Im from the UK and Im a pescatarian so I eat a lot of greek yoghurt! Fage Total and Chobani are good brands
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Greek yogurt is extremely low fat and high protein. The carbs are about the same as regular yogurt. Most greek yogurt you find in grocery stores is nonfat completely, but some of the tastier varieties are 2% (like 3g fat/19g carb/12g protein)

to add that no food is "fattening"...dietary fat doesn't make you fat...over consumption of energy (calories) makes you fat. Dietary fat is a very essential macro-nutrient.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I see people with this problem and I wonder, how can I stop going OVER my protein. I go over every single day, I guess cause I don't eat too many different foods, and I don't eat that MUCH, so I need to look at distributing my food better also.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I see people with this problem and I wonder, how can I stop going OVER my protein. I go over every single day, I guess cause I don't eat too many different foods, and I don't eat that MUCH, so I need to look at distributing my food better also.
    MFP sets protein pretty low, im always 'over' by a good 30g but it still fits into my carb:fat:protein ratio

my protein sources are usually egg whites, greek yogurt, and chicken or fish. sometimes quest bars as well :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you know Cabot makes a whole milk- 10% fat plain yogurt (I add vanilla protein to it with my fruit is' 240 with 40 g protein- WINNING- like protein dessert!)
    anyway- I actually prefer the low fat version of it- I've tried both- and I'm all about "go fats" but for some reason it tastes more bitter and just- meh- not my thing. I was shocked- everyone says how much better it is with fat in it - but I was really apathetic about it.