Low Cal Pasta or Pasta Replacement?

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Hi,

With a strong Italian background myself, I couldn't bring myself to give up pasta either, so I didn't. I switched to whole wheat pasta, and I cook just a small portion for the meal.

My Mrs has gone the fake pasta route, using the konjac substitute: http://www.blukoo.com/eat-water-slim-pasta-spaghetti.html
    She uses the konjac rice substitute as well: http://www.blukoo.com/eat-water-slim-rice.html
    while I've taken the small portion of brown rice path.

Makes for extra pots to clean, but we're both happy with our selections.

Tell your missus to try cauliflower rice - having tried the Konjac noodles, I can imagine the rice is not that great. Cauliflower blasted in the processor is actually quite nice with Indian - Chinese, not so much.

Thanks, we'll have a look.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is great, a little sweet though. Just bake the squash, let cool, separate the squash strands and use like pasta. I wouldn't recommend freezing the leftovers, the get too soft and mushy.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    italian too..

here is what I do ….make room in my diary and eat the real pasta…Almas whole wheat linguine is pretty good ..when I make lasagna I use the barilla thin sheets…

Don't restrict the things you love, learn to eat them in moderation ...

This. If I want Italian food, I want Italian food. I can't stuff myself, but I'm having the real deal. Some things just can not be duplicated with cauliflower or fake noodles. Moderation is the shiz.

All of this X 1,000.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's no substitute for good pasta. Just learn to portion control it, and enjoy it in moderation!

agreed...

Seriously agree. There is no food I fear anymore, it's just a matter of portion control and for me maybe a little extra time at the gym. As a rule, pasta meals aren't a suprise for/to me so I can plan the rest of my day to accommodate for the pasta if I need to.

Don't fear the pasta, respect it. Same goes for Pizza, Ice Cream, Bread, Potatoes or whatever else you "can't" have because you are "on a diet"

Food isn't just fuel, it's to be enjoyed, when you can do it in a controlled, sane manner, you've cracked the code and can get on with the rest of your life.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Fiber gourmet sells pasta in lots of shapes (penne, spaghetti, etc), it is a bit pricy, but full of fiber and only 120 calories per serving. Then again "real" pasta only has 200 calories per serving........

Although I will agree with the others, just save room in your diary for pasta :D
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    I tried the "Eat Water" slim fettucine yesterday...

Never again.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,894 Member
    Options
    italian too..

here is what I do ….make room in my diary and eat the real pasta…Almas whole wheat linguine is pretty good ..when I make lasagna I use the barilla thin sheets…

This. Replacing Italian pasta with a vegetable or anything else is grounds for being tossed out a window. j/k
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do you have counter-examples?
    It's worth taking before-cooking examples, but overall, you seem to be right.
    Most examples I've found tend to agree the White has a few more calories.

Here's one that says the opposite:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/healthy-alternatives-white-pasta-or-whole-wheat-pasta/
    >>However, whole wheat pasta does have nine more calories per serving than white pasta.<<
    I'm sure that was about my experience when looking at it before.

Note that brown rice is arguably 'less healthy' for you than white. It has an 'antinutrient' in the bit that is removed for white rice which binds to various other nutrients and stops them being absorbed by the body.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I was going to try those miracle noodles, but then I read on the package "Rinse to remove authentic odor" and just knew I couldn't deal with that.
    Hardly any smell on the ones I had and just a slightly 'earthy' smell at that, not rotting sewage or anything!
  • nalm5150
    nalm5150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a good sub....I've even combined pasta AND spaghetti squash when making a dish like mac and cheese. And spaghetti squash is good alone in a cheesy casserole, adding spinach, onions, garlic, or other vegetables.

There is probably more than one way to prepare the squash, but this is the way I prepare it. I cut it in half length-wise. I cook each half by placing it meat side down on a dinner plate and cooked each in the microwave for about 20 minutes(until it softens). After it cools a bit, Use a fork to scrape the meat(squash) from the skin. It is very stringy.....hence spaghetti squash, unlike the texture of other squashes. I hope you find this helpful....half of a squash with sauce and a protein is usually more than enough to serve my husband and I. leftover portions can be frozen.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is a good sub....I've even combined pasta AND spaghetti squash when making a dish like mac and cheese. And spaghetti squash is good alone in a cheesy casserole, adding spinach, onions, garlic, or other vegetables.

There is probably more than one way to prepare the squash, but this is the way I prepare it. I cut it in half length-wise. I cook each half by placing it meat side down on a dinner plate and cooked each in the microwave for about 20 minutes(until it softens). After it cools a bit, Use a fork to scrape the meat(squash) from the skin. It is very stringy.....hence spaghetti squash, unlike the texture of other squashes. I hope you find this helpful....half of a squash with sauce and a protein is usually more than enough to serve my husband and I. leftover portions can be frozen.

It may be faster in the microwave, but you get more flavor out of it in the oven. We cut them in half, spray some olive oil on the halves, then season with salt and pepper. We then throw them in the over for about 45 minutes turning them over halfway through. Just remember to not over cook them. They start turning mushy the longer you cook them. They should be stringy and tender crisp when you run a fork through them. They are slightly sweet, but lets be honest, all we really do is use them as a vehicle for the sauce.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was going to try those miracle noodles, but then I read on the package "Rinse to remove authentic odor" and just knew I couldn't deal with that.
    Hardly any smell on the ones I had and just a slightly 'earthy' smell at that, not rotting sewage or anything!

Thanks for heads up - I am going to give em a try. Def in something more asian than as a pasta sub though.
  • Greytfish
    Options

You'll get the same flavor if you microwave to cook and then pop in the oven for just a few minutes. Saves time and fuel costs if those are concerns.
    It may be faster in the microwave, but you get more flavor out of it in the oven. We cut them in half, spray some olive oil on the halves, then season with salt and pepper. We then throw them in the over for about 45 minutes turning them over halfway through. Just remember to not over cook them. They start turning mushy the longer you cook them. They should be stringy and tender crisp when you run a fork through them. They are slightly sweet, but lets be honest, all we really do is use them as a vehicle for the sauce.
  • happydayworking
    Options
    italian too..

I couldn't agree more!
  • nalm5150
    nalm5150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have had an AMAZING weight loss...keep up the good work.....you're one of those MFP people that inspire us all...:smile: .thanks for the tip about the squash....! Our electric rate is so high around here I was trying to conserve energy by using the microwave oven. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • flatlndr
    Options
    Do you have counter-examples?
    It's worth taking before-cooking examples, but overall, you seem to be right.
    Most examples I've found tend to agree the White has a few more calories.

Here's one that says the opposite:
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/healthy-alternatives-white-pasta-or-whole-wheat-pasta/
    >>However, whole wheat pasta does have nine more calories per serving than white pasta.<<
    I'm sure that was about my experience when looking at it before.

Note that brown rice is arguably 'less healthy' for you than white. It has an 'antinutrient' in the bit that is removed for white rice which binds to various other nutrients and stops them being absorbed by the body.

Hey geebusuk,

I never heard of an "antinutrient" before. Had to go on a search. Found some interesting info, and some statements that align with what you've noted ... that some nutrients get slightly blocked, but in the big picture, it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
    I'll have to do some more digging/reading. Thanks for the insights.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Last time I wrote about it I dug out the proper word for the component that does this, but been rather busy today, didn't remember and no time to go ambling around google!
  • flatlndr
    Options
    Last time I wrote about it I dug out the proper word for the component that does this, but been rather busy today, didn't remember and no time to go ambling around google!

"Phytic acid", perhaps?

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/should-you-soak-your-grains?page=1
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Hurg - being Italian the topic gives me goosebumps and certain answers appall me!
    Pasta is pasta - the is no replacement and no substitute - eat it, track it eat / plan the remaining macros / calories accordingly!
  • blueskiesnatw
    Options
    They're completely utterly different! When spaghetti squash is cooked the flesh turns into strands like spaghetti, without any work at all. Butternut squash wouldn't do that on its own! I bought spaghetti squash from tesco, also sell it in Waitrose, although I'm in London so probably have more choice!

Can somebody describe to me how I would cook spaghetti squash to be pasta-like. I've never made it before.

Here you go, with pictures!

http://homecooking.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/ss/spagsquashsbs.htm

Thanks for this!! I keep reading about spaghetti squash and had no clue - is this like what we (UK)call a "butternut squash"?