Low Cal Pasta or Pasta Replacement?

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    When I want a low calorie spaghetti - I take a half block of ramen noodles, cook it, drain it and add marinara sauce and 4 oz of baked chicken.

Ramen noodles have per gram or ounce a lot more calories than any kind of plain italian style pasta......I would eat pasta any time over Ramen if I wanted to keep calories down.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the deal with " low cal replacements " for pasta.
    In my book there is no replacement for pasta, even though I would eat many of the things mentioned here. But I would not accept that they are just as good as a plate of lets say spaghetti.
    Also, I eat ( because of age and height ) 1200 calories and regularly eat pasta ( always 100grs uncooked ) and feel quite satisfied with the amount. I assume, since about 85% of the MFP members eat more than 1200 calories, that there is no need for most people to have to " replace " pasta with something else.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    In my book there is no replacement for pasta, even though I would eat many of the things mentioned here. But I would not accept that they are just as good as a plate of lets say spaghetti.
    Also, I eat ( because of age and height ) 1200 calories and regularly eat pasta ( always 100grs uncooked ) and feel quite satisfied with the amount. I assume, since about 85% of the MFP members eat more than 1200 calories, that there is no need for most people to have to " replace " pasta with something else.

If I put a plate of squash or zucchini noodles in front of my family here in Italy---they would shoot me. As they would if I gave them cool whip instead of gelato(ice cream)---wait that's another thread!
  • gusto80
    Options
    Those "miracle" noodles are by far the nastiest thing I have ever put in my mouth. I don't see how anyone can eat them ! The texture is terrible. The smell was the least of my worries when it came to those "noodles"!!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ... Check out blogs like inspiralized.com for inspiration, they have great recipes! ...

Thank you so much for the link! I hadn't seen that one!
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I'm with the just eat pasta mindset! I find giant cous cous goes quite far, recommended serving is only 40g dry weight, which is somewhere around 150 kcal, and I find cooked of with sauce and veggies with a piece of meat it's a satisfactory portion. I also used to get a noodle soup from a lunch place near where I used to work that contained 'glass noodles' which were very low kcal. Not sure what they are though.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Hmmm...two servings of dry spaghetti is 112g dry and has 400 calories, 84 carbs, and only 14 grams of protein.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian. I can't cut out pasta from my diet. I always make my own sauces so I know how to keep that low cal, but what about the noodles? I like whole-wheat and even asian noodles but whole wheat isn't low-cal and asian noodles aren't always the right texture.

When I make lasagna I like to use thinly sliced zucchini or eggplant to replace noodles. I even have an eggplant-noodle manicotti recipe. But I don't know how to replace pasta in baked ziti or spaghetti.

Any ideas for low-calorie pasta or pasta replacements?

One of my favorite meals is baked spaghetti squash with meat sauce. I would not say it is a replacement for pasta... nothing can really replace it. That said, as a stand alone meal it is quite nice.

One spaghetti squash halved deseeded, brushed with olive oil and baked at 400 degrees for an hour.
    One pound grass fed beef browned and then simmered in 2 cups of marinara sauce.
    When the squash is done, take a fork and scrape the insides a bit to loosen it up and pour in your meat sauce.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just portion control and use whole wheat pasta.. I've also grown quite fond of quinoa. The quinoa is not quite the same, but it can take many different flavorings well.
  • mkemmis73
    mkemmis73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried "Miracle Noodles?" They're made from mushrooms I think. I saw them at Walmart in the produce section.

MIR001_Xl.jpg

I've used these and love them. I even have my husband who doesn't like anything that is good for you hooked on them. You have to rinse them really good before using them, (and I do mean really good)but they are the perfect noodle replacement!
  • snowflake954
    Options

Hmmm...two servings of dry spaghetti is 112g dry and has 400 calories, 84 carbs, and only 14 grams of protein.

A normal singular serving of pasta is 100g dry---356cal,72.2 carbs, and "only" 12 grams of protein. May I suggest that you put your protein in your sauce? :bigsmile:
  • Greytfish
    Options

A normal singular serving of pasta is 100g dry---356cal,72.2 carbs, and "only" 12 grams of protein. May I suggest that you put your protein in your sauce? :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: So as to add another 240 calories and only 21 grams of protein per 4 ounces of gorund beef?

Because clearly, the goal is to have 1/3 to 1/2 of your daily calories while having about 1/4 of your daily protein, without even factoring in the tomato or cream or oil base to the sauce. Plenty of room to squeeze in a bunch of veggies and protein....
    :wink:
  • snowflake954
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: So as to add another 240 calories and only 21 grams of protein per 4 ounces of gorund beef?

Because clearly, the goal is to have 1/3 to 1/2 of your daily calories while having about 1/4 of your daily protein, without even factoring in the tomato or cream or oil base to the sauce. Plenty of room to squeeze in a bunch of veggies and protein....
    [/quot

Who said ground beef? There are other proteins you know---try beans. Also use 50g dry pasta. It's a big enough portion for me, and I have a recipe I use often without oil. Works.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Note that wholewheat/brown tends to have MORE calories, not less.

Crap. I didn't even think to look. Been whining about how little pasta you can actually eat. Once again made the mistake of buying something "healthy" without checking what the regular stuff had.

Those zero calorie things look good to me, but not for a tomato sauce. I'm seeing more of a chicken noodle soup thing. Might be good.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options

That's how I feel. I mean, I don't eat pasta every day but when I do, it's the real thing. I just make sure to measure a proper portion size, which I find is definitely enough (I was severely overestimating prior to getting a scale), and fit it in my deficit...I did it yesterday, in fact. I make meat sauce and freeze it for a quick dinner every once in a while.
  • Greytfish
    Options

Who said ground beef? There are other proteins you know---try beans. Also use 50g dry pasta. It's a big enough portion for me, and I have a recipe I use often without oil. Works.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are plenty of options for proteins. I just went with what was common, because that's what most people here will use. Personally, I wouldn't use ground beef in any sauce. I would use a meat with good flavor, like prosciutto or a nice cured ham or suasage. Maybe soma pancetta or some bacon if the fridge was pretty bare. It would not be enough to meet protein needs, so there would be a meat course as usual.

In any event, beans are even more inappropriate for a pasta dish/sauce than replacing Pasta with spaghetti sauce. The word abomination comes to mind. :noway: To say nothing of how that would be well over the carb limit for the day for another minimal amount of protein once vegetables are factored in.
  • snowflake954
    Options

There are plenty of options for proteins. I just went with what was common, because that's what most people here will use. Personally, I wouldn't use ground beef in any sauce. I would use a meat with good flavor, like prosciutto or a nice cured ham or suasage. Maybe soma pancetta or some bacon if the fridge was pretty bare. It would not be enough to meet protein needs, so there would be a meat course as usual.

In any event, beans are even more inappropriate for a pasta dish/sauce than replacing Pasta with spaghetti sauce. The word abomination comes to mind. :noway: To say nothing of how that would be well over the carb limit for the day for another minimal amount of protein once vegetables are factored in.

Listen up. I don't know what your problem with carbs is, but it's not the devil, and I fit them in very nicely (and tastefully too). For your information, my "pasta fagioli" -pasta with beans is fought over by my 3 grown (skinny) Italian sons. Ignorance is bliss. :blushing:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    Options

Listen up. I don't know what your problem with carbs is, but it's not the devil, and I fit them in very nicely (and tastefully too). For your information, my "pasta fagioli" -pasta with beans is fought over by my 3 grown (skinny) Italian sons. Ignorance is bliss. :blushing:
    Don't worry about it, just keep feeding your family your traditional Italian foods and don't worry about people with no idea about food.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I steam a bag of frozen green beans and use that as a substitute for pasta. I also julienne zucchini and use spaghetti squash. I have a wheat intolerance so I have to find substitutes, although I must agree, if I could have my way, there is no substitute for the real thing....
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If you can, get a vegetable spiralizer, and turn zucchini into zucchini noodles! I got mine for about 40 bucks, which seems kind of steep, but I am totally obsessed with mine and use it almost every single day. Zucchini noodles make a quick and easy substitute for pasta.

If you don't want to get a spiralizer, try getting a julienne peeler. It looks like a vegetable peeler but it has "teeth" to make long strands. You can use it on squashes and carrots!

This!!!! ^^^ I bought a julienne peeler I think for less than $10 and it works perfectly. I love the zucchini noodles. And if you still want a bit of pasta, mix the zucchini noodles with a half a serving of spaghetti.