How do you stay patient when not seeing results??

Options
My lack of results in 5 weeks is incredibly stressful (which probably doesn't help) I probably have to go to the dr to get my thyroid checked because other than enjoying a few too many carbs in a day I haven't lost weight eating 1600 or 1900 calories a day and personal trainers say now that I'm up to 2000 calories I'll lose weight but I would hate to have to waste another 5 weeks of T25 waiting for weight to come off and it doesn't

How do you tell yourself everything will be ok??

Replies

• losinglbslovinglife
    Options
    have you taken measurements? you may not be losing weight as such but you could be burning fat & gaining muscle.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    have you taken measurements? you may not be losing weight as such but you could be burning fat & gaining muscle.

This.
    I haven't lost anything in MONTHS (going to the doctor next week), but have toned and lost inches overall.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

No. You can't gain muscle at a deficit.

You might be retaining water and be losing inches though. Or you're not logging properly and eating more than you think. Do you weigh your food?

To answer your question though - I stay patient because there's really no other option.
  • lfabbric
    lfabbric Posts: 17 Member
    Options

People new to weight training can gain muscle with a deficit. But you are looking at about .5 lbs a week. Usually lower.

The best thing to do is review your food and start measuring. Keep your daily cals constant for a few weeks - such as 1800. If you notice nothing after two weeks, then reduce to 1700 a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

People new to weight training can gain muscle with a deficit. But you are looking at about .5 lbs a week. Usually lower.

The best thing to do is review your food and start measuring. Keep your daily cals constant for a few weeks - such as 1800. If you notice nothing after two weeks, then reduce to 1700 a day.

Well if you need more confirmation that she isn't gaining mass, she is doing T25 which is a cardio program.

With that said, if the OP is only doing T25, 1900 calories is going to probably be too much. That is insanity levels which is 2x as long and much harder. The other question is, does the OP use a food scale?
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do use a food scale, even if it's for a spoonful of greek yogurt.

My BMR is 1600ish so I know I shouldn't eat below that, but TDEE -25% gives me 1900ish. I was eating between 1400 and 1600 calories for the first 3 weeks (I was at 1400 but focusing on macros and decided to go up to 1600 and focus more on calories).

I haven't taken measurements but if I lost inches in the past 5 weeks they are very minimal (I have one pair of jeans. I wear them to work every day, they still fit as tight as the day I started wearing them)
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would put your TDEE at 20% or even 15%. I found when I finally stopped looking for faster, more aggressive results, the weight is starting to come off more.

Make sure you're drinking enough water and getting enough sleep as well!

In the meantime, maybe do check with your doctor to rule out any medical condition(s), once you know that...you will know that it's time to tweak your exercise/food.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I do use a food scale, even if it's for a spoonful of greek yogurt.

My BMR is 1600ish so I know I shouldn't eat below that, but TDEE -25% gives me 1900ish. I was eating between 1400 and 1600 calories for the first 3 weeks (I was at 1400 but focusing on macros and decided to go up to 1600 and focus more on calories).

I haven't taken measurements but if I lost inches in the past 5 weeks they are very minimal (I have one pair of jeans. I wear them to work every day, they still fit as tight as the day I started wearing them)

Can you post your stats?I suspect we are over counting activity level on T25. Also, can you open your food diary? it's hard to analyze without data.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale in the closet. Do not touch it for 4 weeks. Then get back on it.

Also, measure. Waist, hips, legs, arms. Any inches lost will be progress!!
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    psulemon: I'm 5'6, 192 (as of this morning) lbs and 30 years old. I have made my diary public but will put it back to Friends Only before the end of the day. I don't log everyday (because I eat the same things that weigh the same day after day because it's easy)

karmasays: I figured TDEE -25% was going to be close enough to what I was eating so my body wouldn't want to go "MINE".

mschicagocubs: I tried getting my bf to take my scale (if I have it at home, I'll find it and use it) and he won't! If I want to stop using it I will have to take it to work I guess lol
  • roniredd
    Options
    No other choice but to stay patient. It's a way of life.
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Giving up is only going to make me fatter. Staying the course will at least halt weight gain and will eventually turn into loss.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Because the alternative would be giving up and there is NO WAY I'm doing that after putting in 4 years of hard work to get where I'm at. Sometimes you just have to chalk it up to your body doing its thing and it will catch up eventually. I won't bother chiming in on the goal setting, etc as that's already being covered and hopefully you'll get some good info.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    1600 is a good calorie range to be at. But know that 5 weeks isn't *that* long in teh grande scheme of things. I'm totally in with the above posters - take measurements!!

I didn't look at your diary, but aim to keep carbs at about 50% or less of your calorie intake. Up the protien to at least 100g per day (if not more), consume more water, watch the sodium and stay focused.

You will see results,, but it does take time!!! We've all been discouraged!! You'll get there!!! Patience and consistency is key!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 186 right now and to lose about .5 to 1 lb a week I eat 1600-1800 calories a day, but I also go for at least 1 - 50 mile bike ride a week, lift 3 times a week and do 2 other bike sessions on a typical week. You also need to log everything.

Also there are weeks I don't lose anything, weight fluctuates and you need to understand that and be patient.
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why are the trainers telling you you have to eat more?

Same question for me. I super do not understand how people think they will lose weight if they eat more than they are currently eating which hasn't resulted in weight loss. Makes zero sense.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I curse and stick with it. Results will show eventually.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...I haven't lost weight eating 1600 or 1900 calories a day...

Your diary shows 2 days of 2000 calories and then a whole lot of unlogged days.

Bottom line: you're eating too much for your activity level.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ...I haven't lost weight eating 1600 or 1900 calories a day...

Your diary shows 2 days of 2000 calories and then a whole lot of unlogged days.

Bottom line: you're eating too much for your activity level.

This... even though you say you eat the same thing daily, it's very easy to miscount if you aren't logging. Also, my TDEE calculations have you around 2200 calories, so it's possible you are near maintenance.