How do you stay patient when not seeing results??

Options

Replies

• asprettyasme
    Options
    There is more to be grateful for than just losing weight. You seemed a little stressed, start focusing on something else so you can get your mind off of losing weight. For example, try progress pictures, try measuring your body, try seeing how strong you got since you started working out and depending on what workouts you are doing, try paying attention to how flexible you are getting. You are improving but not in the area you want to improve in. If you are really working out and giving it your all then be patient. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was you. It took 9 months for you to get made and 2 people. So give yourself some time and be grateful for what you are improving in.

P.S. Muscles weights more than fat so that can be one of the reasons why u are not losing weight.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Even if you don't even lose a pound your body is still changing from exercise.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    If you are fairly overweight, you can eat at a deficit and gain muscle. When I first started, I lost 20 inches in a few weeks, without losing any weight. Still eating at a deficit, and still gaining visible muscle. I would probably gain muscle faster if I was not eating at a deficit, but I still have a good bit of fat to lose.
  • _rachel_k
    _rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    How do you manage to only eat 2oz of chicken? That is like one chicken finger from most restaurants. Honestly, I would start you are 1700 calories 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. But you have to measure and weigh all your foods and log for one more to do a true analysis.

Also, do you have any medical issues? Pcos, hypothyroidism, etc?

I don't know how I manage to eat 2 oz of chicken, but I do! All the other snacks I eat make it not so bad

At the moment I am 1800 calories and 40% carbs and 30% fat and protein.

I am also waiting for results from blood work to test my thyroid.

I will respond to everyone else in a different post
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    GuitarJerry: If the 5 week comment was for me, 5 weeks is because that's how long each phase of T25 lasts.

asprettyasme: I am pretty stressed but it's not because the scale isn't moving, it's because the scale isn't moving AND my clothes are just as tight as they were before. Not much else to focus on.

When it comes to muscle gain, I gain in my biceps fairly easily (either that or I lose fat there first) but until I get fat off me, I can't really say for sure what muscle gain I have....... if any
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I would try lowering your calories for a couple weeks to see what happens.
  • MsStang02
    MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For ME, it is not just about seeing results. It is how I FEEL. There were days when I felt like crap, seeing no results, not change on the scale, or in my clothes. BUT I noticed a clarity in my skin. A smoothing of cellulite. Healthier nails and hair. Just to FEEL GOOD was enough to get through those days and keep my patience.
  • Rachelc1992
    Rachelc1992 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it took me 2 weeks to lose 1 kg, then nothing for 2 months! But I was losing inches. Finally it's moving again. Just don't give up, keep exercising and logging. You'll get there!
    And rant on here every week when it doesn't go down, that's what I did. Also put up statuses when you do go over your food so you can remind yourself, actually you haven't been perfect, maybe it's that?
  • Skykilr1
    Skykilr1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    According to my scale I'm having a stall for 3-4 weeks. Only lost 1 lb. In the mean time I've lost 2-3 inches in my waist and 2 inch in my chest. I went from XXL to an already loose XL shirt, while not "losing" weight. So don't worry about the scale. It's probably the worst (weigh) way to measure your progress. Just keep doing what your supposed to be doing.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I would try lowering your calories for a couple weeks to see what happens.

I started the first couple weeks at 1500 and then upped to 1800. Neither produced better results

Skykilr1: I haven't checked my measurements since feb 2 but aim fairly. Retain if I have inch loss it is so minimal I could chalk it up to measuring wrong
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I got out of the mindset that I was trying to lose weight and there was some kind of schedule it had to happen on. I resolved myself to make better choices for every meal, every day, from now on. All the other stuff will come if I keep a caloric deficit and exercise.Some months have been good and others marginal. I stay positive because I know I am doing the right thing.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How do you manage to only eat 2oz of chicken? That is like one chicken finger from most restaurants. Honestly, I would start you are 1700 calories 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats. But you have to measure and weigh all your foods and log for one more to do a true analysis.

Also, do you have any medical issues? Pcos, hypothyroidism, etc?

I don't know how I manage to eat 2 oz of chicken, but I do! All the other snacks I eat make it not so bad

At the moment I am 1800 calories and 40% carbs and 30% fat and protein.

I am also waiting for results from blood work to test my thyroid.

I will respond to everyone else in a different post

Keep us posted on the blood work. If the results come back negative, there are a few other things that you can try. Each should be done for 4-6 weeks before switching. Here is what I would try in order:

1. Go low carb (it's possible there might be some insulin sensitivity, which isn't all that uncommon.
    2. If that doesn't work, restore to basic macros and go gluten free - Again, possible intolerance which doesn't show up on many test. You can get tested for celiac but this is a viable option until further test are needed. This is actually how my wife discover she had an intolerance. With further research, there has been some linkages between my dysautonomia (more specifically Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) and gluten sensitivities.
    3. If that doesn't work go lactose free.

Now, I understand this can be a long process, but for many people who dont want to dumb a ton of money into exploratory procedures, it's well worth it. The main thing is only cutting one thing out at once so you can pinpoint. When you cut multiple things as once, you assume it's all 2 or 3 things which make long term sustainment difficult. When you do these, you have to be committed though. It truly is the only way to figure it out. For example, going gluten free 6 days a week and then eating it again the last day, defeats the purpose.

What I would recommend is to research the next approach a week or two out. And follow up after each approach to provide findings. Additionally, I would start calories around 1500-1600, merely because even with hypothyroidism, it allows many women to lose weight still... some have to go a bit lower.

Now one last question, have you recently done long term suppression of calories? Or what is your recent (year or two) of diet history. Is there any periods with extreme low calories? This can affect results. For example, people who recover from HCG diets can take long periods of time to correct hormones and get a body to a point where it will lose weight again. One person I worked with took about months for that to happen after 4 phases of HCG... it was brutal.
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    I will keep you posted with my blood work results

I attempted paleo 2012-2013 (6 months) with very little exercise and no results (minus my initial 12 lbs in 3 weeks). The thought of going low carb or lactose free frightens me because even after 6 months of paleo I thought about grains and chips and breads all the time and it made me sad

When I first started losing weight (gosh, 2010 or 2011??) I did 1300 calories (chicken breast salad twice a day) and cardio (elliptical) 5 days a week and since then I found my will power isn't as great as it used to be but I did lose weight. Then in 2011 I had a PT and she pushed me hard and I saw some change but not enough. My PT even accused me of cheating on my diet!

I am now back at square 1 with my weight loss. Anything I accomplished is long gone

My bf lent my his Arnold Schwarzenegger encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding so I could try the workouts in it
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Nothing worth having comes easy.
  • Just_Bella
    Options
    I didn't read any responses.

I have been plateaued scale wise for over a year! Why don't I give up? Because if I do then I will never achieve anything. The scale may not be moving but my body is changing I know it in my clothes and I see it in the mirror. I know because each week I am adding more weight to my lifts. I know because I can go farther without getting tired. The measure of progress is not only reflected by a number on a scale.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to go back and 'examine' everything I did. There are a few things you have control over when watching what you eat: 1) Portion size - go back to measuring cups for a few days. Get used to what a 1cup serving and a 1/2 cup serving look like again. 2) What are you eating? Are you favoring or avoiding certain food groups? Have you consumed a crazy amount of sodium? 3) How am I exercising? Have I been doing the same thing day after day for the entire time? Have I been able to make progress?

A few weeks ago, for some reason I went back and read the directions for using MFP. I noticed that the recommended calories included exercise and that the goal calories were NET calories (after exercise was subtracted). Well, I started making sure my NET calories ended up around 1200 like it said. Poof! I lost 4 lbs. I supposedly learned my lesson years ago about reading the directions. Guess I forgot about that temporarily. Oops.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I will keep you posted with my blood work results

I attempted paleo 2012-2013 (6 months) with very little exercise and no results (minus my initial 12 lbs in 3 weeks). The thought of going low carb or lactose free frightens me because even after 6 months of paleo I thought about grains and chips and breads all the time and it made me sad

When I first started losing weight (gosh, 2010 or 2011??) I did 1300 calories (chicken breast salad twice a day) and cardio (elliptical) 5 days a week and since then I found my will power isn't as great as it used to be but I did lose weight. Then in 2011 I had a PT and she pushed me hard and I saw some change but not enough. My PT even accused me of cheating on my diet!

I am now back at square 1 with my weight loss. Anything I accomplished is long gone

My bf lent my his Arnold Schwarzenegger encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding so I could try the workouts in it

When you went paleo, where you tracking calories and macronutrients? I know things might be scary or tough, but at some point you have to realize whats more important to you... this is what my wife had to realize. It's been a year since she went gluten free and still misses it. And occasionally, she will try to sneak some and pay for it (major GI issues). It is definitely tough though because we are limited from going to certain restaurants.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I had some periods of a few weeks where nothing would happen and then suddenly I'd drop a few pounds all at once. I'm pretty patient about stuff like this by nature, and I don't feel rushed. For me, this was a permanent lifestyle change, not a short-term, temporary effort with a set deadline. I had the rest of my life to accomplish my goal so there was no feeling of needing to hurry. (That was almost 3 years ago and I've been on maintenance ever since.) :flowerforyou:
  • _rachel_k
    Options
    When you went paleo, where you tracking calories and macronutrients? I know things might be scary or tough, but at some point you have to realize whats more important to you... this is what my wife had to realize. It's been a year since she went gluten free and still misses it. And occasionally, she will try to sneak some and pay for it (major GI issues). It is definitely tough though because we are limited from going to certain restaurants.

My cousin was helping me with meal planning. I never focused on macros but I tried to keep a 1500 calorie diet. I'm trying really hard to stay away from chips and if I need something I have been eating gluten free pretzels (only a serving but it's usually in the evening) and instead of bread or wraps I have a rice blend at lunch. I have recently introduced steel cut oats at breakfast (by recent I mean Thursday last week)