Working out 6 hrs a day?????

Options
124»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There are physique competitors out there who do this. They don't do it all the time.

This lady did it to win $250,000. She said she got overzealous. To me, that's a clear indication she isn't still working out 6 hours a day.

Not to mention, she's in maintenance mode now which requires a lot less. The weight has all already been shed. $250K, and from an elite national swimming athletic background - she obviously was the right candidate to win the prize as she was no stranger to hard physical work to achieve goals.

Professional cyclists put in 2 - 6 hours a day on the bike - year round. Nobody bats an eye.

And they probably eat more.

Yes, but they are not trying to drop weight. When they are (say after a weight gain in the off racing season), they do long, slow endurance hours with a strict caloric deficit to drop the weight - just as Rachel did. When they are in racing season doing those big hours, they can eat up to 8000 Calories a day and still look like camp survivors...

P.S. There is already a huge thread on this (Rachel's win of the Biggest Loser) in the Success Stories forum...if anyone is interested.

Just so I'm straight here, we're advocating a net of ~0 calories per day as long as we're trying to win a weight loss contest (that many in the mainstream look at as the roadmap to success) because as stated before, they believe it's reality and how weight loss should be done.
  • _xsomedayx_
    Options
    Hypergymnasia or sports anorexia is a real thing, even if not ICD10 classified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Future triad.

Oh! I was wondering if anyone would say that! I knew it by the name 'anorexia athletica' though. But whatever's really happening with her, I hope she's okay. I hope she doesn't have to deal with the problems that come with being at the other end of the unhealthy weight spectrum and that she can go forth and live a happy, healthy life.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    Poor Rachel. She went from being obese, to being skinny, with what sounds like a eating disorder.

http://emag.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Rachel-Frederickson-Biggest-Loser-Emag.jpg
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Just so I'm straight here, we're advocating a net of ~0 calories per day as long as we're trying to win a weight loss contest (that many in the mainstream look at as the roadmap to success) because as stated before, they believe it's reality and how weight loss should be done.

I'm not sure "we" are advocating anything. ;-)

Losing weight - no matter what method is used - takes work. A lot of hard work in fact filled with discipline, a fair to huge amount of suffering, and a very firm grasp that avoids anything associated with denial. If it was a job interview, most would fail the interview from the get go as not being worthy candidates.

Whether Rachel - or others - lose weight slowly, or dramatically - weight is lost. I was advocating her chosen method of cutting weight from the time she left the show to coming back for the final weigh in to win. She used a method of endurance cardio, a calorie deficit and yes it resulted in her body feeding on her upper body muscle. Hey - welcome to the world of endurance runners and endurance cyclists who don't require upper body muscle and use that method to get to competitive weight year in and year out. Nobody is - pardon the pun - up in arms about their bodies. Why are they with Rachel's who used the same tactics? It also resluted in the $250K prize for doing her homework and trimming the way a typical endurance athelte trims. Her leg muscles still look quite good which is an indication of the lower body cardio work she was doing all those hours to bag the prize.

Athletes, in an attempt to not alter their performance, try not to lose more than 1 to 1.5 pounds per week. Then again, most athletes don't allow themselves to get so overweight that requires a massive amount of weight loss to begin with, but it is not unheard of for endurance runners and cyclists to put on 10 pounds in the "off-season" and the need to trim that for the next competitive season.

Ballerinas who want to work do it (and weigh less than Rachel)...

12437631994_82537a02ac_z.jpg

12376139013_fbd210319f.jpg

Marathoners do it...

12369980034_975a68ee49_z.jpg

12392407463_187e168b35_z.jpg

Cyclists do it...

12369690363_54e53c3d5b.jpg
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/12369690363/[/url]

12369682985_2eca9e512c.jpg

12375115284_ea71a0e6a9.jpg

TV and Movie Stars do it...

12459563093_312a054639.jpg

12423789735_6e03c6a75d.jpg

Rachel did it...

12391503843_a7588ae885.jpg
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    http://outsethealth.blogspot.com/2012/11/athletica-nervosa-a-disorders-of-excessive-exercise.html <--- sounds like

I did read something in the article that made me laugh

" Athletica Nervosa sufferers also often steal the opportunity to exercise, even when they're working in the office. Try watching your friends at the office, is there anyone who secretly hiding to exercise? :) "

I laugh because I have a long drive to/from work and I'm currently doing the 30 day burpee challenge so yesterday I shut my office door and did a bunch of burpees while I was waiting on OS patches to apply to the server I'm setting up.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Just because it was 6 hours doesn't mean it was high intesity. But mayne she worked 2 hours every couple of hours. I know someone who shed 40lbs in 2 months from 2 hours, got checked and was healthy and has maintained it for 3 years. If it worked and she's healthy with what HER doctor said, I cant judge. At the end of the day smoking and obesity are just as a bad but we have no right to shove our opinions on her body and lifestyle down on her throat.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU I dont get how people dont understand rachael worked out like an athlwte and that she has the body of distance runner. The only thing that makes her look thin is she has more muscle than fat on her arms. If she was bordering anorexic her legs wouldnt be so muscular. The only thing I dont agree with is her calories she could've eaten at least 2000. I think she's just scared of the number, coming from experiance its hard enough eating 1400 day. I dont judge her for doing fast but I hope she eats more. Im just happy she was able to get where she wants to be, hopefully she can maintain a healthy lifestyle, than peoples ideal of what body she should have.

Sorry I was replying to the person who posted athletes weigh less than her but ot didnt quote.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people are so suprised by this. If I were going up for winning $250K, I would do everything I could to win too. It was a compitition, not a beauty pagent. There is a reason why the name of the game is "Biggest Loser" and not "Healthiest Loser".
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who considers these types of shows to be cautionary tales instead of inspirational?

Nope. Not the only one.
    Hypergymnasia or sports anorexia is a real thing, even if not ICD10 classified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergymnasia

Future triad.

^This. It's scary to think that yeah, she lost the weight and won a bunch of money, but how comforting is that if she's walking away with health issues and a disorder.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So, she lost a f***-tonne of weight for 250 large. Good on her.

She probably saw it like a competitive sport, got into a winner's mindset and did what was necessary to bring home the big one.

Immediately after it was over and she stopped training so much, she would have put 10 lbs on just from replenishing glycogen, etc.

I just don't see what the big deal is. If you want this kind of mindless consumerist pap, the media corporations will provide. Welcome to your culture - enjoy!
  • wow really. A lot of people tend to believe that as much as I workout a day i will loose weight. Big NO NO it's all about what you eat 80 percent of the time. If you cut the carbs, dairy, sugar, salt you will loose 10-15 in a month or so trust me
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    wow really. A lot of people tend to believe that as much as I workout a day i will loose weight. Big NO NO it's all about what you eat 80 percent of the time. If you cut the carbs, dairy, sugar, salt you will loose 10-15 in a month or so trust me

It can be quite a bit more complicated than that. In terms of Rachel who indeed has an endurance athlete's body (she was a competitive swimmer before gaining the weight), her body type fits into one of the standard endurance athlete prototypes (swimmer, nordic skier, runner, cyclist, triathlete). These athletes actually increase their carbs (but the complex variety) rather than cutting carbs to drop weight and fuel the system.

There is a great book that deals with all of the issues that endurance athletes face and how so many fuel their systems incorrectly which might result in getting their weight down, but their performance suffers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934030996

12564252183_a86b3108e9.jpg

That being said, Rachel cut her weight, but was not concerned with competitive athletic performance as her prize was on the $250K and rightly so.