Awesomeness! Bumping to bookmark.
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I am so confused on this whole calorie thing. I was given 1200 cals and was doing fine with it losing 5 pounds and then nothing the scale isn't moving. I spoke with a friend who is very into fitness and told me for my lifestyle 1200 is way to low. I up'd my activity level and now I'm given 1410 cals. My question now is how do I know that the new number is enough? Any advice? I have 6 short weeks until my anniversary and I want to be down 15-20 total by then...

In six weeks 15-20 is losing weight too fast. Maybe 8-10 but that's still very ambitious. Eat 1410 plus your exercise calories or at least half of them since MFP and machines really overestimates your burn. Set your macros at 40/30/30 for fat loss and muscle maintenance, start lifting heavy objects. You may be able to lose a lot of inches in six weeks if you do something like P90X or 30 Day Shred. But everyone is different. I added 30 Day Shred because the weather has been so bad and in doing in a few days a week I have lost several inches but the scale has really moved, I would much rather lose inches anyway.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Awesome article, wish I would have known this when I started.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Think of all the potential that is thrown out the window when women deprive themselves of food on their quest to be thin. What great things could women accomplish if we weren’t ****ing dieting all the time?!

Fantastic blog post! Thanks for sharing.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I think one of the main problems with the "1200 calorie" diet is MFP - that's where I first came across it. I simply inputted my information and goal to lose 1.5-2lbs a week and MFP automatically set to 1200 calories. I know it will automatically do that to ensure I don't eat less than that, as less than 1200 calories is considered unhealthy. But for women who want to lose weight quickly, MFP tells them to eat 1200 calories. I think MFP needs to take more responsibility in educating users on what their weight loss goals should be. e.g. weight loss of <20lbs = 0.5lb loss goal per week, weight loss of 30-40+lbs = 2lb loss goal per week, etc, as well as warn people if their weight loss goals per week are not healthy based on CW and GW. The only warnings they give are when you eat less than 1200 calories and they warn you you're not eating enough. Ironically, if you do eat over your 1200 calorie goal you're in the 'red'. Can't win!

Agreed, 100%.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU. I get so disheartened reading some of the replies in the "how many calories are you eating" posts. Here I am shooting for 2000 a day and sometimes having to budget my calories so I don't overeat. I know for a fact that I'd be completely miserable at 1200 a day. I'm losing with what I do now, so I don't see a need to punish myself. I know there are a lot of people who feel great eating 1200 a day, and good for them, that's great! But I don't want people to think that it's the end-all be-all magic number for weight loss. It's just not.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've come across this article too. Pretty good although unlike most women I don't have an issue gaining/maintaining muscle.
    I did 1200 cals for a week and I felt so sad. Lost a few pounds though but ultimately its not worth it I'd rather have a chocolate muffin when I feel like it.
  • felineeyes37
    Options
    Good read
  • felineeyes37
    Options
    I have eaten 1200 calories for the past year, and I have done cardio four days a week for the past six months.

I dunno, I think it's working for me.

Wow really...?? Cause I just took a quick random peek at your Diary and went as far back as June last year and I saw quite a few entries that was way over 1200 calories..... even a few way over 2000 cals.... so yeah, thats weird. Just sayin.
  • auddii
    Options
    Why would you call her out like that? I went to see your profile and it says your a Christian! That's weird....just saying!
    And the news this morning was about the backlash of the persecution of Christians in the Central African Republic, and the Christians have taken to lynching and murdering Muslims. What exactly is your point in this discussion?
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I love this!! I didnt truly start really losing until I upped my cals from 1200 and started REALLY intentionally exercising. I do some cardio, but mainly do circuit training, crossfit style bootcamp, and HIIT training!! I too wish I would have learned all this years ago!!
  • dare2love81
    Options
    THANK YOU. I get so disheartened reading some of the replies in the "how many calories are you eating" posts. Here I am shooting for 2000 a day and sometimes having to budget my calories so I don't overeat. I know for a fact that I'd be completely miserable at 1200 a day. I'm losing with what I do now, so I don't see a need to punish myself. I know there are a lot of people who feel great eating 1200 a day, and good for them, that's great! But I don't want people to think that it's the end-all be-all magic number for weight loss. It's just not.

Exactly! While it works for some people, the majority of us out there trying to lose weight do not need to drop that low. I mean, sure, I could, and I'd probably lose weight faster, but I enjoy eating, and I don't particularly enjoy feeling hungry all the time. Heck, I do some pretty intense workouts and if I eat anything less than 2,000 calories for more than maybe a day, I get crazy fatigued and crabby. Not a good situation.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    wtf_zps504ed2e1.gif.... yeah:noway: ... acording to this"scoby" scale im

You Daily Calorie Requirements

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1328
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1594
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1275

so 1200 not realy that bad for me.. was going to say more... but dont have time to stirpot_zps5634c54c.gif
  • auddii
    Options
    wtf_zps504ed2e1.gif.... yeah:noway: ... acording to this"scoby" scale im

You Daily Calorie Requirements

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1328
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1594
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1275

so 1200 not realy that bad for me.. was going to say more... but dont have time to stirpot_zps5634c54c.gif
    There's a difference between arbitrarily picking 1200 because it's what all the magazines say and finding out your actual caloric needs and basing your cut off of that number.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I think it's subjective - I've realised (by calorie counting out of pure curiousity) that quite often if I completely cut out snacking and just eat three meals a day my calorie intake does end up around or below 1200 calories...

If it does, you're not doing what you should, and unless you are weighing absolutely everything you eat, it's pretty unlikely you are accurate. and no, I'm not talking about measuring with measuring cups, I'm talking about weighing with a food scale.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Why would you call her out like that? I went to see your profile and it says your a Christian! That's weird....just saying!
    And the news this morning was about the backlash of the persecution of Christians in the Central African Republic, and the Christians have taken to lynching and murdering Muslims. What exactly is your point in this discussion?

Wow, she went there...... nah, this needs a new thread, not hijacking this one.
  • auddii
    Options
    So, I shared this link on FB, and a friend reshared with "Yes! Calories don't matter, just EXERCISE".

I... uh... ah... SMH.
  • dare2love81
    Options
    So, I shared this link on FB, and a friend reshared with "Yes! Calories don't matter, just EXERCISE".

I... uh... ah... SMH.

Well...you tried. LOL. :flowerforyou: