Females trying to lose weight...READ THIS

Options

Replies

• VCYoga
    VCYoga Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MFP set my goal to be 1200 and to be honest sometimes I eat 1200 and sometimes I eat 1500, sometimes more!. I just try to listen to my body. For example, a day where I missed a work out, I probably won't be as hungry, so I might only have 1200 calories, but since my diet is often packed with fruits and veggies that is often enough! If I'm still hungry, I eat more! I never refuse my body food when it's hungry. It's been working pretty well for me. :) I try to think of my daily caloric intake as more of a range, and try to think of it that balances out over the course of a week. If I eat 1200 one day and 1800 another day, that averages out pretty nicely. Honestly, it just depends on if I'm very hungry that day or not. But I always eat more on workout days hehe. :)

+1
    I dont always have to be under the 1200 set for me.
  • minlyn22
    minlyn22 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump - for reading later... Thanks!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....
    I eat 1200cals... below and above.. but I generally only get about 30mins of cardio (3-5days a week) and work a desk job 5 days a week.
    Am i considered inactive?
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....
    I eat 1200cals... below and above.. but I generally only get about 30mins of cardio (3-5days a week) and work a desk job 5 days a week.

Nope. Sedentary is strictly for people who don't ever exercise, period. And are restricted to bed rest. Most people who aren't on bed rest are at the very least considered to be "lightly active".
  • Nessiechickie
    Options
    Just wondering....

Nope. Sedentary is strictly for people who don't ever exercise, period. And are restricted to bed rest. Most people who aren't on bed rest are at the very least considered to be "lightly active".

So then what If I eat my calories back,
    say my calories are set at 1200 and work off 450 calories... but i eat my calories back and so I have had 1600cals in the day....... is that still wrong? as in what this post is saying? I'm a bit confused lol

Thanks for the help :flowerforyou:
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Brill!
  • Redhead_23
    Options
    The people who do "fine" on 1,200 a day also log "cleaning, cooking and standing as exercise.". I stuck to 1,200 for a week once. Lost 3 pounds. I spent the next week non stop bingeng and gained 5 back. Lovely.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....

say my calories are set at 1200 and work off 450 calories... but i eat my calories back and so I have had 1600cals in the day....... is that still wrong? as in what this post is saying? I'm a bit confused lol

No, that's fine. Usually when people say they eat 1200 calories, we assume they mean they gross 1200 calories. You're actually "eating" 1600 calories, but you net around 1200 because you exercise. Which is good because you're fueling your workouts.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Just wondering....

Nope, you're doing it right. The post is saying people who only eat 1,200 calories (or less) and then go try to exercise even more calories off, are doing more harm than they're realizing. So, yes, eat your exercise calories back.
  • Nessiechickie
    Options
    Just wondering....

No, that's fine. Usually when people say they eat 1200 calories, we assume they mean they gross 1200 calories. You're actually "eating" 1600 calories, but you net around 1200 because you exercise. Which is good because you're fueling your workouts.
    Okay thanks just making sure. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Great article. Thanks for sharing!!!
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    15 months, 113 pounds lost, 5'11" and less than 1300 calories a day (because I need to eat up to my calories so i'm over 1200 but under 1300) and I don't add in my exercise calories (of which i lift 4 days a week on top of sports and cardio) and it was RECOMMENDED BY MY DOCTOR AND A NUTRITIONIST (who i meet with every 3 months). So different things work for different people. And just because it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't work.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    1200 did work great for me but as soon as i lost a couple of stone i wanted to start exercising and added a couple of hundred cals as recomended the weight started to pile back on.

after hearing about the Cambridge diet where people are eating around 400 cals a day for 3 weeks then bingeing out for a week and starving themselves again for 3 weeks , i really dont think 1200 cal diets are that bad to be honest. its sufficient enough to keep your body and organs functioning without exercise isnt it?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    wtf_zps504ed2e1.gif.... yeah:noway: ... acording to this"scoby" scale im

You Daily Calorie Requirements

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1328
    Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE) 1594
    Daily calories based on goal in step 6 1275

so 1200 not realy that bad for me.. was going to say more... but dont have time to stirpot_zps5634c54c.gif

From those numbers I'm guessing you chose tdee-20% for your daily calorie allowance, with less than 50lb to lose you could cut this to 15% or even 10% cut so it's not so aggresive
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    1200 did work great for me but as soon as i lost a couple of stone i wanted to start exercising and added a couple of hundred cals as recomended the weight started to pile back on.

after hearing about the Cambridge diet where people are eating around 400 cals a day for 3 weeks then bingeing out for a week and starving themselves again for 3 weeks , i really dont think 1200 cal diets are that bad to be honest. its sufficient enough to keep your body and organs functioning without exercise isnt it?

Well no, not really, your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to function and there aren't many people who's BMR are 1200 or below
  • williamsbr
    Options
    Can I just say how great it is to finally raise my caloric intake goal. I was as 1150 which was ridiculous and unable to attain, and recently raised to 1300, I feel so much better and feel like I can workout harder. We will see what the scale says but regardless it feels much more sustainable. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So nice to read an article that doesn't make me angry!!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    A friend posted this article on my FB page last night. I don't have access to FB at work, I have seen alot of posts today in regards to this topic exactly, and for the life of me I couldn't find this stinkin article to post in these threads. Thank you for posting this, and please dont be upset that I quoted your quote in a few threads. :flowerforyou:
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My diary says I eat 1200, but that's mostly a guide line for sure! I do not weigh my fruit, I kinda measure my veg and meat...and I definitely sneak a piece of cheese while I'm cooking without entering it. I think if I was really good about all that stuff, I'd probably be closer to 1500/1700. I started at 217 and am at 199 I am not normally hungry. I am only lightly active because I have multiple sclerosis. But I try to be super active on the weekend with my dog...and then normally on the weekend, I have wine. I don't know, I like it as a guideline, but then, I'm not anal but everything little thing. I'm down 18 lbs and my energy is up, also...sleeping better. So I'm pretty stoked about that.
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options

Well no, not really, your BMR is the amount of calories your body needs to function and there aren't many people who's BMR are 1200 or below

oh right! well maybe i was given the wrong info. Im no expert ;)