Eating 1200 calories and exercising , but losing very slowly

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I was eating back my exercise calories too and found that my weight loss was slow. As soon as I stuck to my 1200 calorie limit, regardless of exercise, the weight loss got faster. Also, try to do at least 45 mins of cardio (tred mill, stair climber, eliptical) at least 5-6 days a week. Its best to mix it up (different one each day) so you body doesn't "get used" to the same routine. Keep it guessing so it works harder. If your not a runner, you can go at a good walking pace but increase the incline to 7% or more. Not sure how much water your drinking, that helped me too. I drink about 80 oz in a 24 hr period.

Keep up the good work...you'll reach your goal and when you do, you will be so proud of yourself. :)

Blessings,
    Candice

Just NO. Please. NO.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Stop the 1200 calorie insanity!!!!!!!!!! It is a myth that 1200 is the magic number! You all need to calculate your TDEE and BMR...if you don't know what those are...do your research right this second! You are doing so much harm to your bodies not fueling them properly. Do not try to be the biggest loser. That is a contest not LIFE! 1 or 1.5 lbs a week is totally healthy.... 1/2 a lb a week is great....some weeks you won't lose, some you will see a "gain" ...take pictures and measurements. QUIT HARMING YOUR BODIES FOR THE SAKE OF A SMALLER JEAN SIZE!!!!!!!!!
  • Sara__Beth
    Sara__Beth Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem, whenever I first started trying to lose weight and eat healthy. I was monitoring my intake and walking 3-5 days a week for AT LEAST 30 minutes each time. I kept this up for about a month and a half without losing ANY weight and obviously I became very frustrated. Then I heard about green coffee bean and thought, ah that's cool, until someone I know also recommended it to me. I purchased a bottle from Walmart called PurelyInspired green coffee bean. It was about $9 for 60 tablets. Instructions say that you should take two tablets before a big meal twice a day but I've only been taking one tablet before two meals a day and I've seen results already. I've only been taking them about a week and already I've lost a few pounds. I'd definitely recommend giving them a try.
  • tawalker791
    tawalker791 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I did the TDEE calculator, and when it did my macros, because I would need 209 grams of protein and a bunch of fat bc of my weight, it left me with only 20 grams of carbs for the whole day?! That doesn't even seem healthy! Anybody have any thoughts on that? And why are the suggested macros so different than mfp's? Ugh
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I was eating back my exercise calories too and found that my weight loss was slow. As soon as I stuck to my 1200 calorie limit, regardless of exercise, the weight loss got faster. Also, try to do at least 45 mins of cardio (tred mill, stair climber, eliptical) at least 5-6 days a week. Its best to mix it up (different one each day) so you body doesn't "get used" to the same routine. Keep it guessing so it works harder. If your not a runner, you can go at a good walking pace but increase the incline to 7% or more. Not sure how much water your drinking, that helped me too. I drink about 80 oz in a 24 hr period.

Keep up the good work...you'll reach your goal and when you do, you will be so proud of yourself. :)

Blessings,
    Candice

Just NO. Please. NO.
    Quoted for truth. Unless you're under a doctor's care, going under 1200 net calories is not a recipe for long-term success.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Blessings,
    Candice

Quick weight loss should not be anyone's goal. Quick weight loss = fat+muscle mass

If you want to lose mainly fat, if you want to lower your body fat % ......be pateint. Not everyone is large enough to lose 1 or 2 pounds every week.

Within 15 pounds of goal.......1/2 pound a week is good progress.

cardio, cardio, and more cardio will not help you keep existing muscle mass either......:flowerforyou:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have my settings in mfp to lose 2 lb per week. And my exercise has been a mix of strength and cardio. I am not nursing, so Im not burning any extra calories there. Maybe I will just try 1350 this week under the "lose 1.5 lb per week" mfp setting and just see if it changes....guess I should just experiment lol

Strength and cardio is a good combo!!!! Keep up the good work! You got this!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Whenever I exercise, I wear a Polar watch/HRM to calculate calories burned. I do log every tiny thing into my diary.

Your diary isn't open.

If you want help, you need to give us some basic information, otherwise we're all just pissing in the wind.
  • howeyd2211
    Options
    Oh, one other thing I just thought of....as nasty as it sounds...monitor your bathroom visits, as it is another indicator your body will give you. Darker urine is your body expelling toxins,etc. Lighter urine, you are getting enough water for your body to flush out toxins,etc. And (cover your eyes/ears for those who are squeamish) your bowel movements should be ...ummm...how do I say this....well, all of my very fit friends have large movements...daily! I know I'm on the right path when my poop makes half a track around the bowl and is solid :embarassed: If not, your not providing your body with enough and might be in starvation mode.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I am into my 11th month of losing weight (see ticker below). It did not happen overnight.

Like others have said....slow and steady wins the race.

Edited because I can't spell.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would venture a guess that because you went from eating prepackaged food, to "eating clean" (assuming that means cooking for yourself) that you are eating more than you think. Make sure you weigh and measure everything.
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

That's such a good post!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Even 1lb/week for your weight is still awesome! Slow and steady wins!!!
  • init2fitit
    init2fitit Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I did the TDEE calculator, and when it did my macros, because I would need 209 grams of protein and a bunch of fat bc of my weight, it left me with only 20 grams of carbs for the whole day?! That doesn't even seem healthy! Anybody have any thoughts on that? And why are the suggested macros so different than mfp's? Ugh

This is because your protein is being calculated by your body weight and not lean body mass.
    Please attempt to get a good reading on your body fat % and LBM, and try to eat 1g of protein for every pound of lbm and that should get you closer to where you need to be.

Also, you can fiddle with the amounts of each macro that you get, for example, mine is 40/30/30 with carbs being the most.
  • tawalker791
    Options
    That makes much more sense! Lol
  • tawalker791
    Options
    Bump
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing I just thought of....as nasty as it sounds...monitor your bathroom visits, as it is another indicator your body will give you. Darker urine is your body expelling toxins,etc. Lighter urine, you are getting enough water for your body to flush out toxins,etc. And (cover your eyes/ears for those who are squeamish) your bowel movements should be ...ummm...how do I say this....well, all of my very fit friends have large movements...daily! I know I'm on the right path when my poop makes half a track around the bowl and is solid :embarassed: If not, your not providing your body with enough and might be in starvation mode.

Whatever you do, don't listen to this lady.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Bump

Still no diary....
  • tawalker791
    Options
    I changed it to public! Didn't realize it was private lol. I also found out my BMR and TDEE and also changed my macros to fit my lean body mass and such, so I am going to up my calories to 1500 this week. Will change my diet to fit my macros (which I did today) and will try this new way for me!