Eating back calories lost from exercise - is it needed?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The Harris–Benedict equations revised by Roza and Shizgal...

...assume relatively normal levels of body fat and significantly over-estimate BMR for individuals who, like the OP, are obese.

To the OP: there's no need to make this so complicated. Just pick a number - 1200, 1500, 1800, whatever - and stick to it, logging everything diligently. Your body will tell you if you are in the right caloric neighbourhood - if weight comes off too fast, up your calories, if it comes off to slow, check your logging or reduce your calories.

Keep it simple!

:drinker:
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    No, people on here are so rude and jump at any chance to twist peoples words.
  • ambergaelle
    ambergaelle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am beyond overwhelmed by the whole concept right now.... my MFP goal is at 1200 calories a day for mostly sedentary person. i want to lose no more and no less than 2lbs a week because thats what i heard was "healthy"... i recently started doing cicuit training (Jillian Michaels... and i do it the easy way cauz i srsly suck) and cardio 30 min 5 times a week.... I ve changed my diet to more "clean options" and left out the unhealthy stuff i was addicted to. i prepped my meals and becaue i eat healthy stuff instead of 800 cal a portion stuff i actually feel super full each day after all my meals... i actually struggle to get to 1200 because i dont want to go towards unhealthy more calorific foods. (like a bowl of pasta)... I ususally add a protein bar to the addition to get close to 1200... I dont feel too tired or low or ill but i also def dont feel hungry so I dont eat my 400-500 calories burnt back... sometimes that makes my net is as low as 500... does that mean i wont be losing weight... i just started 2 weeks ago.
    here are my stats.
    5'7
    163 lbs
    goal weight is 133
    i have 40% BF
    26 year old
    female

someone please tell me what to do.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I think it depence only on yourself. I don't eat mine, sometimes just half of them. See how you feel when you start eating half of them, if you start gaining weight stop eating them, etc :)
  • EszterNZ
    Options
    At first I didn't eat them back. I got a heart rate monitor so I could accurately track how much I was burning each work out, because if i'm going to eat it back, i need to know how much I've actually used up, rather than guestimating :)
    Since I've gotten fitter and exercise more (i workout every day now, and more intense stuff), I usually eat back most of it, or if not, there might be 100-150 calories left.
    I really think it depends on how you feel though. Nourish your body if it wants it! Just choose the right things to eat after a workout..e.g. not fast food, and as long as you track your intake, and output accurately you cant really go wrong! :)

Good luck!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To add to my message above:

Right now I'm not eating them back.

I don't use measuring cups/spoons to help me manage portions, but I know that unless I get a digital food scale, measuring cups and spoons can be off by any number of calories unless I carefully "level' the cup or spoon every time I get a portion.

OP: You had mentioned not having any experience with structured diets in the past. I've had way too much, and my experience is:

Eat less, move more, I lose weight.

Eat too little, eventually I will binge and gain everything back.

Just take small steps and a year from now you'll be amazed by where you are!
  • emboslice94
    Options
    Depending on how you've calculated your calorie intake, it may already be included. If that's how you do it, then just eat the 1500, BUT if you're especially hungry after a workout and sticking to the calories isn't working, eat something. Judge by how you feel. I find that on leg day, I eat more than on arm days.