Am I the only one who HATES comments on my loss?

Options
I can't stand when people comment on my weight loss. Or ask about what I'm eating etc.

I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me so much. I really feel like it's none of their business. I feel embarreshed if they mention my weight, and almost angry if they ask what I'm eating, like I'm being judged or held accountable to them or something.

Anyone else feel like this?

EDIT: In real life. People who know me.

Replies

• animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    No, and I think most people think they're being encouraging so put a warning on your profile that you don't like it, I ask people what they're eating because I want to lose weight too, I'm not interrogating people. Out of curiosity what did you expect on a weight and fitness site except for people who you've invited to be friends who may have similar goals to comment on your losses and diet?

Edit sorry thought you meant on MFP
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Disable it from posting on the feed then!
  • sjg2205
    sjg2205 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel like this also. I'm not talking about this site as mentioned by "animatorswear", I'm referring to mainly comments by other friends and work colleagues.
    I have always considered myself to be overweight but a few years ago I lost 5tone but was still technically "overweight". During the period I was losing weight, colleagues used to meet me in the corridor and say "here's skinny" or "look how loose your clothes are" etc etc. I know they were trying to be encouraging but I could see others including strangers looking at me. I felt they were saying "skinny?? - she's still fat".
    The attention made me feel more self-conscious than I had been when overweight.
    Unfortunately I put the weight back on, hence I'm now using this site. Hopefully I will be able to handle the comments better this time.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't mean on here, I meant in real life - I don't mind people clicking 'like' etc. here, because they don't know me.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Sorry hun wrong end of the stick, yeah that sucks
  • amblight
    Options
    I feel like this also. I'm not talking about this site as mentioned by "animatorswear", I'm referring to mainly comments by other friends and work colleagues.
    I have always considered myself to be overweight but a few years ago I lost 5tone but was still technically "overweight". During the period I was losing weight, colleagues used to meet me in the corridor and say "here's skinny" or "look how loose your clothes are" etc etc. I know they were trying to be encouraging but I could see others including strangers looking at me. I felt they were saying "skinny?? - she's still fat".
    The attention made me feel more self-conscious than I had been when overweight.
    Unfortunately I put the weight back on, hence I'm now using this site. Hopefully I will be able to handle the comments better this time.

Luckily the people who comment the most on me, don't do it as publicly! I would die!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am sure you don't have to explain your daily food intake just tell people you are tracking calories and it works and maybe they should try it. I recommended MFP to my boss (someone I actually like at work lol) he is diabetic and could really benefit from tracking his food.

edit - also most of the weight I have gained has been in the past 16 yrs of working where I do - they have seen the weight gain over the years and I am more than happy for them to see and acknowledge the weight come off :ohwell:
  • lambchoplewis1
    lambchoplewis1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Funny that I don't like the comments either. I don't look at others and wish they would not look at me. I am afraid that if I gain some back, they will be talking behind my back saying " see, I knew she couldn't keep it off". I don't notice peoples clothes etc. I think it is judgmental and it doesn't matter in either weight direction.
  • LeanneHarrington3
    LeanneHarrington3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For me (in real life) I think people telling me I look good or whatever is a bit like them saying "You looked ****e before".
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't mind it being mentioned in passing but I don't enjoy it when somebody makes a big production about it and starts drilling me; that feels a little invasive. So yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from.
  • Noamsh
    Noamsh Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the kind of comment. When I see people I haven't seen in awhile and they're complimenting me on how good I look, it makes me really proud of myself.
    But when people who I see all the time tell me things like "' you look good now, you've lost enough, stop dieting already", when I turn them down to go eat or something because I don't have calories that day, it pisses me off. It's not any of their goddamn business how much I eat, what I eat and when.
    It all depends on the context.
  • amblight
    Options
    For me (in real life) I think people telling me I look good or whatever is a bit like them saying "You looked ****e before".

That's what I very often feel too! Here the other day my brother found a year old pic of me, and just raised his brows in a disapproving way and said 'well, it's good you've lost weight now!'
  • amblight
    Options
    I don't mind it being mentioned in passing but I don't enjoy it when somebody makes a big production about it and starts drilling me; that feels a little invasive. So yeah, I completely understand where you are coming from.

When I'm visiting my mom, every time I get up from a chair she goes "Oh, don't sit back down, I want to keep looking at you properly!" etc. And it's even worse if my grandma is around, she will clap on my stomach, and keep asking about how many carbs I'm eating.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Family are the worst, they say and do weird stuff. I think that you just have to get used to it and brush it off. I don't like when people say I am getting skinny. I'm not skinny. I am fit.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people comment on my weight loss. Or ask about what I'm eating etc.

I can't quite put my finger on why it bothers me so much. I really feel like it's none of their business. I feel embarreshed if they mention my weight, and almost angry if they ask what I'm eating, like I'm being judged or held accountable to them or something.

Anyone else feel like this?

It s called communication/conversation, and getting uptight and angry about something so trivial is more to do with your problems than anything they have said.

Be nice , chill or see a shrink !!
  • Roberta__F
    Options
    I know what you mean. As a woman, you just always get so many unsolicited comments about your looks. Whether it's positive or negative, it makes me feel uncomfortable, too. Like it's my duty to look a certain way.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can't stand when people comment on my weight loss. Or ask about what I'm eating etc. Anyone else feel like this?

I liked it at first. Then it got old.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ironically, most people want the comments and don't get them. There are a million posts on here in RE to "when will people notice?"

I always comment that generally speaking people don't comment on weight, even if it is to say, "wow...you look great."...because most people end up thinking that same thing..."like so I just was a big fat *kitten* before."

I think you're in the minority OP...all the way around.

I for one dig it...nobody really says anything about my weight loss anymore, that was all said and done about 9 months ago. Now people tend to comment on my physique in RE to major changes in my body composition, muscles, etc...I work hard for it so I certainly don't mind talking about it or trying to get my friends into the gym either.
  • Spewze72
    Spewze72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like to think the best of people...so if someone asks "Have you lost weight?", I like to think that THEY feel they are paying me a compliment by noticing. I don't automatically assume they thought I looked like crap before. I know I did, still do...long way to go!!

Mind you...I confess that there are a couple of people I know very well (both slim) but only see once every few weeks, who always, 100%, ask me approvingly if I've lost weight, even though it's obvious that I haven't, or actually I've put it on. I try to accept it as a way of them saying "you look nice today", but a nasty little part of me thinks they're just being disingenuous and might as well say nothing. Can't do right for doing wrong, eh!!
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's appropriate to comment on someone's weight or diet in "real life". On MFP it's different because you are more open about what is going on and what your goals are. In day to day life you don't know what is going on for someone behind the scenes so it's more respectful not to comment unless you know them extremely well. I'm with the OP on this one. Just my two cents.