Obese in the gym?

Replies

• A comrade in fitness is a comrade in fitness, regardless. Unless you use the Powerplates, then be gone from my gym.
  • AlessisMore
    AlessisMore Posts: 179 Member
    Don't even think twice about it. Just go. Getting fit is one of the most empowering things you can do for yourself. You'll look back and wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    I used to be terrified of going to the gym. I was so worried that everyone would be laughing at me for being so much bigger than them. It would depress me and I would end up stop trying altogether.

Now, I honestly don't care. The gym I go to is a local YMCA, it's a huge complex and always busy, even in the mornings. Everyone's doing their own thing. I always make a point to look people in the eye and smile when I go by. I'm there, I'm trying. It doesn't matter how I look at the gym! We're all there doing the same thing, we're just all at different places on the journey.

To make it fun, I have a collection of geeky t-shirts I wear to the gym, including one of these tr401atk-w484h484z1-41347-working-off-my-adipose.jpg

My gym bag is a Tardis!

Just go and have fun, if you're ready. Try not to worry about everyone else! :)

Where did you get this shirt? It's awesome!!!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    I was also terrified to start the gym. I walked for the first three months of my journey, lost 43 pounds and signed up on Nov 1st, I almost threw up with nerves in the parking lot before going in to get a membership. It was all for nothing! As soon as I walked in, I was comfortable. The first step is always the hardest!! I love the gym now. I go everyday. The gym staff is always nice to me. I'm still pretty big at 213 pounds. But I bust my *kitten* off like anyone else and feel amazing when I leave. You can do it!!! It's nowhere as bad as you think it will be.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    I do! I just started going to the gym at the local YMCA. People are very nice and supportive (to my surprise). Just do it!

Here read this: http://flintland.blogspot.ca/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

It should say "Hey fat guys and gals" but you'll get the meaning. :wink:
  • xero2099
    xero2099 Posts: 49 Member
    I was 340 When I started, stepping inside is the first step
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    If I leave one comment here .. it is that the people that really impress me the most at the gym are the visibly overweight people. First I know it is hard to just go there .. as I felt self conscious when I started going to the gym. I was only considered "overweight" at the time.

It is easier to do things with less weight to carry around and it is these people that are doing more work .. and honestly the hardest things for me are anything where I really have to move my body. Doing weights, working on the machines and doing cardio are not as hard as actually moving what God gave me. So .. huge credit for making that step.

So .. first of all, go to the gym .. you will feel so much better and who cares what anyone else thinks. You will be there for yourself and not to impress others.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    I used to be terrified of going to the gym. I was so worried that everyone would be laughing at me for being so much bigger than them. It would depress me and I would end up stop trying altogether.

Now, I honestly don't care. The gym I go to is a local YMCA, it's a huge complex and always busy, even in the mornings. Everyone's doing their own thing. I always make a point to look people in the eye and smile when I go by. I'm there, I'm trying. It doesn't matter how I look at the gym! We're all there doing the same thing, we're just all at different places on the journey.

To make it fun, I have a collection of geeky t-shirts I wear to the gym, including one of these tr401atk-w484h484z1-41347-working-off-my-adipose.jpg

My gym bag is a Tardis!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: - this is awesome!!
  • toofatandy
    toofatandy Posts: 74 Member
    You are a skinny person in a fat body.

So why not hit the gym, and begin living as if the body and self are of the same proportion.
    Because one day they will be.

I am obese and fairly old. I gym 4 days a week and have started the fitness trainers course.
  • chumbasmumba
    chumbasmumba Posts: 6 Member
    I would recommend Curves if there is one near you. Go in and ask for a 1 week free trial explaining that you do not want to commit until you have had a few visits to see if it s right for you. Curves is great because it is only 30 minutes and the machines use your own weight as resistance. You don't have to set them up or count reps or track anything. the awesome thing about weight training is it builds muscle and muscle burns calories for you all day long. I joined Curves 5 months ago and I have lost 30 pounds and 26 inches. I started MFP after Christmas to stay on track. Hope this helps!
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    As title, is anywhere here reaaaally overweight and still goes to the gym? I've been on MFP for 4 weeks now, and lost 10lb in those 4 weeks just through calorie counting. I've been reading (and reading and reading) about weight lifting, and it's something I'd like to do, but I'm terrified to go into the gym. I've only recently dropped below 300lb, but I am getting a little fitter (better able to walk up stairs and generally walk around!)

I'm not sure if I should just start a routine at home and wait until I've lost more weight before hitting the gym. Tbh, the whole idea of the gym terrifies me.

Is there anybody here who is really overweight and goes to the gym?

Good job! Great 4wk consistency! And congrats on your 10lb loss!
    Actually I am medically obese. I went to the YMCA early today because there are fewer people early on Saturdays; and I wore all black which made me feel less hugeness.
    My Y seems to have fewer body builders (who I find intimidating) than some other gyms. This Y community draws a family crowd, and lots of retired people.
    My goal is to use weight machines every other day, and cardio on the elliptical every day.
    Good luck with your activities, whatever you choose.
  • WhoHa42
    WhoHa42 Posts: 1,270 Member
    No one is going to judge you, I've found that it' actually the opposite. Overweight people are encouraged.

If you have a lot of medical problems though like high blood pressure, prediabetes, or anything like that I'd get checked out by a doctor before doing any vigorous exercise.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Ask for a 1 week trial, give the gym a go, and if you don't feel comfortable, look for another gym.

As a regular gym go-er, when I see an obese person at the gym I just want to wish them the best.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    How about going for a walk instead of going to the gym - works for me just fine!

Because the OP specified wanting to try weight lifting. :-)

The first time I joined a gym I was at least 100 pounds overweight and horribly out of shape. Someone told me to start out at 10 minutes on the elliptical - I made it for 5 minutes, and just barely. Every day I went 1 minute longer until I could use it for 20 minutes. I was bright red & sucking wind. My cousin stopped once to ask if I was okay because I apparently looked that alarming. I didn't pay attention to anybody else, and am pretty sure nobody else was paying attention to me either.

I started lifting weights a year ago. I did hire a personal trainer, and I still work out with him three times a week. Best thing I ever did.
  • At 350lbs, I went to a a CERTAIN gym off hours, signed up, got a tour was feeling pretty good about myself. THEN I went during peak time and it was WALL to WALL people, crazy pressure, and I fell NOTHING but self conscioius judgement comparisons (I KNOW MY OWN ISSUES OF WHAT PEOPLE ARE THINKING) and I fought through the emotions a few times; but just couldn't maintain, the emotional battle was too hard.

A couple years later, same weight I joined a gym with a friend, they had a smaller, more private women's only section with treadmill, bikes, elliptical, and weight machines. Went at a variety of times before signing up (guest passes are the way to go), SO MUCH BETTER atmosphere. Not to mention they have lots of group activities (which I love), wallyball, yoga, spin classes, zumba, etc.

ALL that being said... GO VISIT them. Walk around, envision yourself feeling comfortable there, EVEN IN THE LOCKER ROOM. Tell yourself you BELONG there. You will be a paying customer like EVERYBODY ELSE, which gives you a RIGHT to be there NO MATTER WHAT YOUR BODY looks like. (Think Pretty Woman.) And if you FEEL comfortable in the space and with the people you see working out (more attitude than body shape) then THAT Is your gym.

Don't make it about convenience or money, make your GYM choice about where you KNOW you will get your workouts accomplished.

The others are right... you will be AMAZED to see how many of us BIG PEOPLE are getting our butts out there and GETTING IT DONE!!! But there are plenty of nice looking fit people too, don't think they are judging you, just enjoy the EYE CANDY and whisper to yourself... I'm gonna be my OWN brand of HOTNESS, if I stick with it!!!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    I have nothing but tons of respect for anyone that is obese or overweight and is going to the gym, and it's sad that anyone has to feel self-conscious about being there, when being there is truly one of the best things they could be doing.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    I signed up when 303lbs and started swimming, walking on the treadmill and using the elliptical (on a low setting). I'm 93lbs down, run 4 times a week (I'm training for a half marathon!) and love the gym now. Just go for it, no one who's there for their own fitness, whatever level that may be, will judge you badly. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    You can do stuff at home & you don't need any equipment. In fact your weight at the present time is more than enough. Body-weight exercises are fantastic. You are your own gym.
  • kethra
    kethra Posts: 85 Member

My gym bag is a Tardis!

Where did you get this shirt? It's awesome!!!

Glad you like it! Here's the link

http://www.lookhuman.com/design/41347-working-off-my-adipose ^_^
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    The gym is for getting fit! I plan on going as soon as I have a car