Obese in the gym?

Replies

• juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    I do! I got a trainer to help me learn how to exercise, how to use machines and weights and my own body. When I go to the gym without my trainer, I do the things she's taught me and I just do my thing. It seems to me that everyone is just doing their thing. I've even had words of encouragement from others working out. At first I was apprehensive because of my size and my workout clothes, but I quickly realized leaving the gym sweaty and feeling high from my workout far out weighs my fears.
  • kathywygant
    kathywygant Posts: 8 Member
    When I go to the gym & see obese folks there, I say "good for you! keep it up." When I first started I felt very self-conscious, but discovered that while you might catch someone looking your way, people are generally too involved in their own workout to be judgmental. I've also decided that "I don't know other people's story." - which means that when I see that fit person kicking *kitten*, maybe they were obese when they got here & rocked their workouts; or when I see that person lifting very little weight when they look capable of doing more, maybe they're rehabbing an injury. So go ahead & hit the gym - Shop around & find the one you feel most comfortable with - & I wish you much success. : )
  • 1). Go to the mall.

2) Find the store that puts letters on shirts.

3). Have shirt made that says:

So what, I'm effing trying.

4) Wear it loud. Wear it proud.

^This^
  • I've been the biggest person at the gym. Thing to remember is that most people are there for themselves exclusively and so they are not even going to notice or care, and most like many responses here, people there are going to see you (i notice people just naturally look at each other especially if it's a new person... we are all curious and not judging) and go "yeah, good for that person," not "omg why is that person here." So, no reason to be self-conscious. Yes people look at other people but that happens when walking down the street, no different. Less people will be judgmental at the gym than other environments because most are there for self-improvement and many were right where you are now so they totally understand.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I was 290 when I started on MFP. Was going to the gym from the beginning. Was never an issue.
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    A lot of folks have mentioned the Y. I think that's a great place to start. The rates are reasonable so you don't spend a lot of money while you're figuring out what you like, don't like (i.e. swimming, weight-lifting, treadmills, elliptical, etc.). Then, once you've tried it all out and figure out what you like best and would like to focus on more, you can start looking for a different gym that's more in tune with your goals; maybe you find you hate swimming and want a place with more weight lift focus or whatever and, by then, you'll likely have lost a little weight and lifted your self-confidence level and won't feel so shy about going in. The Y is also chock-full of diversity making you a lot less self-conscious. 80 year old men hittin' up the pool. Obese women doin' water aerobics classes, middle-aged pudgy men jogging on treadmills, slightly over-weight moms doin' yoga, younger kids always on the basketball court, and the super-buff lifting free weights. If you can imagine it, it's there and no one cares. The Y also promotes a certain standard of actions; they don't tolerate behavior that's not respectable and respectful to others. For me, it was a great place to start at and not feel so self-conscious and I found numerous people there that were more than willing to help me along my journey.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I was right around 250 when I started, my lifting buddy hasn't lost a pound, so he's still in the 275-280 range. Nothing wrong with being overweight and going to the gym, we all have to start somewhere.

Rigger
  • Go to the gym if that's what you desire..we all start somewhere! It's hard to take that first step and even to this day I am still one of the largest in the gym at my hour (women that is). I workout in the weight area with all the men too. You just have to focus on why you are there and try and forget those around you. I really doubt anyone is judging you..although I know how your mind can make you believe that ,as i've felt that way many times. If anything I've had numerous people(skinny) say I inspire them which feels great. :) Put some weights in my hands and let me do my thing and I feel like a badass..I could care less what they think! lol So go,be proud and have a great workout.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    I. Go to the Y. I weigh 262. For what it is worth, my water fitness class has a mixture of all sizes, ages and men and women. One of the instructors told me that if I can handle that class, I can do other classes.

I will be using some of the weights and machines.
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    I think you'll find that most people who are super fit have struggled with weight at one time or another. As such, most people at the gym will be supportive and encouraging. Don't be afraid to go. Be proud that you are there!
  • bettyjoburdett
    bettyjoburdett Posts: 120 Member
    I am obese, 60 yrs. old and decided to join Planet Fitness. I have only been one time but I noticed that everyone was so involved with what they were doing that no one paid me any attention. The only complaint I have is that the staff look about 15 years old and only help or pay attention to the skinny, young people. I figured out the 30 min. circuit myself, did it, felt good about me and left smiling (and sweaty):bigsmile:
  • 1). Go to the mall.

2) Find the store that puts letters on shirts.

3). Have shirt made that says:

So what, I'm effing trying.

4) Wear it loud. Wear it proud.

^^^ Love this :drinker:
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    Love this!
  • pusheen12
    pusheen12 Posts: 192 Member
    If you want to go to the gym...GO! Who cares what anyone thinks...I don't. When I go it is for me, for my life, for my health. Sitting at home won't get you to your goals, (unless you can work out the same at home.) The gym I use is at a college rec center. The majority of people there are college students, I'm 50. Do I look out of place? Probably, but who really cares? These aren't my friends. (The reality is some have been quite sweet to the old gal huffing and puffing away beside them.) Most people are in their own "zone" anyways when working out. I have heard of people who have been treated poorly at the gym. If this happens you will just have to stay strong and ignore it. Put in your earbuds and do your thing gf. One day they will look at you and be jealous! Ha!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Never weighed more than 200lbs but don't pay attention to others in the gym or assume what they think. A lot of people aren't even looking at you
  • I started out at 320 in the gym and I don't even really care anymore. I am 297 now and there are even bigger people than me. We are just people trying to get healthy. If people stare or are rude they are the ones with the problem. People stereotype obese as lazy and people who don't ever exercise...so how can you be those things if you are working out? Just go for you and don't mind the other people. Go with friends if you can. Bring some music to tune people out.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    If people notice you at all, all they will think is "rock on!" The gym is probably the last place anyone will think badly of you for trying to get into better shape.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    There have been guys in the 400s at my gym, and the general attitude towards them is "good on ya". My gym puts peoples before and after photos in the front to inspire people too.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    You have nothing to worry about, my concerns were exactly the same as yours and they were completely unfounded.
    As a matter of fact I can't even get anyone to notice me at the gym I attend, it's gotten to the point that I'll actually initiate a conversation (very brief) just to break the odd sort of tension that seems to be in the air. I truly don't understand what people are thinking, most of the people whom I see are in much better physical shape than I'm in and they act like it's the end of the world to make eye contact. When you make eye contact with someone even accidentally just be polite and smile or nod or say have a great workout and go on with your business!
    In retrospect they might be/have been just as nervous as I was.
  • SouthGaPeach
    SouthGaPeach Posts: 43 Member
    Everyone who goes to the gym had to start somewhere! People dontbwalk in the gym the first day skinny and buff. Its hard work. Keep that in mind. Everyone has a first day! You can order some great workout videos on Amazon for cheap (I like Jillian Michaels). Feel free to add me for support or if you would like me to share how I lost my weight. Good luck and keep your head up!

while I weigh less than the OP, my first day at the gym was this past Monday. you are definitely right about the not walking in skinny and buff. it does take hard work but it is also nice to be able to look at those around me and say "that's where I want to be". In my opinion though, OP, if you feel comfortable, Go for it! and trust me, your confidence will build.