Infrared saunas + saunas and detox safe?

Hi all,
I was watching a program the other day and they mentioned that one of the methods the biggest loser contestant used in her final months was an infrared sauna to help speed up her metabolism. I'd never heard of it before. Anyone try it? Also, is it safe to use a sauna if you are doing a detox?

Replies

• bump
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    all i can see that doing it dehydrating you. making you sweat a lot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Hi all,
    I was watching a program the other day and they mentioned that one of the methods the biggest loser contestant used in her final months was an infrared sauna to help speed up her metabolism. I'd never heard of it before. Anyone try it? Also, is it safe to use a sauna if you are doing a detox?

It does not speed up metabolism. All it will do is make you sweat and therefore dehydrated.

Also, unless you're in a hospital chugging charcoal solutions you're not doing a detox. The entire concept of a dietary detox is intellectually bankrupt. It's a scam, and it's pointless, and it's harmful. Stop doing the detox. Go eat real food, right now.
  • jonnythan
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Like detoxing off of drugs or alcohol, getting your vitals taken regularly and on medication kind of detox? I'd definitely say consult your doctor first.
  • The only reason I ask about the detox is I have recently visited a naturapath doctor to find alternative ways to treat my endometriosis. He has suggested I go on numerous vitamins, a detox kit, and a 21day detox diet.
    While I am willing to try the vitamins and detox kit after a lot of though I have decided to NOT do the detox diet. I already eat pretty clean and the thought of torturing myself for 21days is not something I'm willing to do. I feel like my hands are tied in some ways. If I treat it the conventional way I am on more hormones which aren't working and just creating side effects, in surgery etc.. If i go the naturopaths route I will be doing things I'm not even sure are proven to work. I'm desperate at this point. While doing the detox kit I was just curious if it's safe to use the sauna at the gym while i do it. I've never done one before but the doctor says it is very gentle.
  • jonnythan
    The only reason I ask about the detox is I have recently visited a naturapath

Yeah, stop there. Don't go to a "naturopath" for advice on medical issues or diet. They are not trained or educated for that. They are not trained or educated for much of anything, really. The term "naturopath" is not regulated and doesn't actually mean anything.

The advice this person is giving you is bad. Period. I'm sorry. Megadoses of vitamins will do nothing, and a "detox kit" and "detox diet" are simply scams.

And stop referring to this person as a "doctor." (S)he is not a doctor.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • The only reason I ask about the detox is I have recently visited a naturapath

Yeah, stop there. Don't go to a "naturopath" for advice on medical issues or diet. They are not trained or educated for that. They are not trained or educated for much of anything, really. The term "naturopath" is not regulated and doesn't actually mean anything.

The advice this person is giving you is bad. Period. I'm sorry. Megadoses of vitamins will do nothing, and a "detox kit" and "detox diet" are simply scams.

Believe me I'm not one to reach for the naturopath easily..I have have doubts of their effectiveness..BUT unless you can suggest another type of therapy or treatment that is going to help keep my endometriosis from worsening and keeping me out of surgery then I feel this advise is not helpful. I'm not trying to be rude but I've been to the traditional gyno doctors and tried more birth control pills, progesterone etc..then I can count and none of that has helped. I'm two years from my last surgery and my pain is back. Gyno's suggestions...IUD (no thank you..way too many scary things going on with them), a male hormone that may cause me to grow facial hair, a lupron shot that will put me in menopause (and at my age to stay on that long term has disadvantages), a hysterectomy( which isn't proven to keep my pain away for good) etc.. It's a gamble to try the naturopath but at this point I don't feel i have anything to loose.
  • jonnythan
    I understand you're desperate. But, believe me, giving your money and trust to an uneducated quack is not the way forward.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    In... for people who believe that "The Biggest Loser" is credible, that detoxes speed up metabolism, and infrared waves.

ircat.gif
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Hi all,
    I never know what someone means when they talk about a detox. It's really a vague term, if you think about it. Usually, these things are really harsh. I have often talked with people about these things, usually in the form of a PM. Not that I am against it, just that without more specifics, it's hard to discuss it. Also lots of reactive people in the discussion thread.
  • MinMin97
    The only reason I ask about the detox is I have recently visited a naturapath

Believe me I'm not one to reach for the naturopath easily..I have have doubts of their effectiveness..BUT unless you can suggest another type of therapy or treatment that is going to help keep my endometriosis from worsening and keeping me out of surgery then I feel this advise is not helpful. I'm not trying to be rude but I've been to the traditional gyno doctors and tried more birth control pills, progesterone etc..then I can count and none of that has helped. I'm two years from my last surgery and my pain is back. Gyno's suggestions...IUD (no thank you..way too many scary things going on with them), a male hormone that may cause me to grow facial hair, a lupron shot that will put me in menopause (and at my age to stay on that long term has disadvantages), a hysterectomy( which isn't proven to keep my pain away for good) etc.. It's a gamble to try the naturopath but at this point I don't feel i have anything to loose.
    I can totally relate to the desire to use healing methods other than what is offered by doctors! I appreciate a doctor's ability to diagnose, but their approach to healing is not usually helpful for me.
  • MinMin97
    I understand you're desperate. But, believe me, giving your money and trust to an uneducated quack is not the way forward.
    I am doubting that you are making her feel "understood."
  • Hi all,
    I never know what someone means when they talk about a detox. It's really a vague term, if you think about it. Usually, these things are really harsh. I have often talked with people about these things, usually in the form of a PM. Not that I am against it, just that without more specifics, it's hard to discuss it. Also lots of reactive people in the discussion thread.

The detox that was recommended to me was basically made of three components..You add 30drops of each to a litre of water and sip throughout the day slowly. It isn't like a colon cleanse. It's suppose to target specific organs. It's the detox kit by heel. It not suppose to create multiple bowel movements etc... I am eating throughout as I would normally do.
  • My question about the infrared sauna was just an innocent question. I really was doubtful of it's effectiveness but I was curious to hear if anyone had tried it before. I don't watch the biggest loser and only saw info on the sauna on a tv program.
  • jonnythan
    I am doubting that you are making her feel "understood."

I'm good at information and analysis, not diplomacy.
  • MinMin97
    Hi all,

The detox that was recommended to me was basically made of three components..You add 30drops of each to a litre of water and sip throughout the day slowly. It isn't like a colon cleanse. It's suppose to target specific organs. It's the detox kit by heel. It not suppose to create multiple bowel movements etc... I am eating throughout as I would normally do.
    If you enjoy a sauna, then take one. But IMO anything you do that ends up being harsh is unnecessary. Especially if you are already logging your food and exercising.
  • jonnythan
    Hi all,

It's snake oil.