Runtastic makes no sense

Options
2»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The point is that you should burn the same amount of calories whether you walk/speed walk or run 9miles. The calorie burn is the same for the distance.

It absolutely is NOT! Walking and running are much different biomechanical motions, and running a distance burns a LOT more than walking the same distance.

I think my point is that at a certain point the speed you are moving is no longer a walking speed and I'd like the app to recognize that and adjust.

That's an entirely different point than your earlier "the point is".... :drinker:

Send an email to the developers. It's an easy thing to add.
  • colburncrew
    colburncrew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too have had issues with Runtastic having accurate calorie burn. Solution I have used is that I have my Polar H7 HRM synced to both my Runtastic app and my Polar RS400 watch. When the app receives an accurate HR then it is far more accurate in calorie burn measurements. Otherwise, the app has to "guesstimate" based on general averages.

I always compare the data on my RS400 watch which was set to my specific HR data from fitness tests I had done. When the HRM is synced with Runtastic it much more closely reflects actual calorie burn, but I still sometimes have to go back and manually adjust based on the data from my Polar watch.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    calories burned is not just about distance...it's about the speed in which you covered that distance, your weight etc.

If I walk 1 mile vs run 1 mile yes those are going to be different calories burned.
    Table A: Calories Burned Per 1-Mile Walk vs 1-Mile Run For A 156-lb Subject

Walking 88.9 calories a mile vs Running 112.5 calories per mile
    Walking 4.78 cal a min vs running 11.25 calories per min

this is based on a one mile walk in 18:36mins and a run of 1 mile in 10mins.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

so there is a significant difference between the two.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As people have said the biomechanics of walking are totally different to running so the calorie amounts will be different. Runtastic also calculates calories in relation to speed, your weighy and gradient so even a walk at the same speed could be different if your going up as steep hill. I also use a HRM (FT7) and actually the calorie burns runtastic give me for running are very close to what my HRM gives me especially on longer runs when it can be within 10 or 20 calories.

Even with a HRM though these calories are just an estimate so all figures you are using to eat calories back with you should be a little cautious about.