How much can a curry set you back?

Options
So im gonna have a curry on Friday. I've been losing 3-4lbs per week since Jan. If I go for a full Curry:
I would typically eat :
2 poppadoms & Chutney
Chicken Pakora
Chicken Tikka Masala & Full Rice & Naan

How much would that set me back? Ive estimated 200 then 500 then 1000 the 500 & 500 so 2700 Calories. I think I can have 2200 to 2700 per day. If I exercise to lose 1000 Calories, would i be able to keep my weeks work ? or would it set me back 3lbs?
Also I know im saying im not eating anything else. If I woke up late by going to bed really late i.e wake up at 12-1pm , and eat a bowl of lettuce to fill me up, would my body do that thing where it stores fat because it feels starved, would eating alot of lettuce prevent that as the next meal I would have would be high fat?
I would also be looking at changing my main to a non Cream one.
Cheers

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to not drive yourself so crazy. Eating something over your calorie goal one day is not going to result in a total fail of your changing lifestyle. If one night you want to eat something you enjoy, eat it. Wake up the next morning and continue on. Weight will vary over time anyways. Losing 3-4 lbs per week is a lot of weight, expect it to be less some weeks.
  • jmsspr93
    jmsspr93 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks , but is it likely that I would f**k up my weeks work by doing that?
    And also would my body store more of the curry due to of only had salad?
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    it's just one day, relax. Your body can handle that. Just drink some more water for a few days after that, take a nice long walk and take it a bit easier with food. If you normally eat 2200, just stick to 2000 for a few days.

Not eating anything else on that day is setting you up for a binge though.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is to not drive yourself so crazy. Eating something over your calorie goal one day is not going to result in a total fail of your changing lifestyle. If one night you want to eat something you enjoy, eat it. Wake up the next morning and continue on. Weight will vary over time anyways. Losing 3-4 lbs per week is a lot of weight, expect it to be less some weeks.

+1
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    well my diary says 2200, i thought that was my maintaining limit, but it was to lose weight, so i have been keeping 1500 remaining per day. I exercise so that I get to 1500 , but I believe my maintaining limit is higher 2500-3000 so I think im saving nearer 2000 per day, so are you saying as long as I stick to it before and after it will be ok?
  • deadyankee
    Options
    It is what it is. If it's 2500 calories then 2500 is the difference between having it or not. Over a day it's a lot, over a week it's significant but nowhere near derailing and over a month it's not even noise in the system. If you ate a 3500 calorie curry on top of your daily calorie maintenance then you'd put on a pound. It's not worth worrying about unless you constantly have these lapses.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Confused as to how you think it'd set you back 3lbs? 3lbs=10,500 calories. Just eat normal, enjoy your curry, and get back on track tomorrow.
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    Thanks guys! Glad to see these forums are so active at these times. Would you guys reccommend I eat more than salad for lunch that day? I.e how do I prevent my body going into starvation mode? Thats what im worried about
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    So im gonna have a curry on Friday. I've been losing 3-4lbs per week since Jan. If I go for a full Curry:
    I would typically eat :
    2 poppadoms & Chutney
    Chicken Pakora

How much would that set me back? Ive estimated 200 then 500 then 1000 the 500 & 500 so 2700 Calories. I think I can have 2200 to 2700 per day. If I exercise to lose 1000 Calories, would i be able to keep my weeks work ? or would it set me back 3lbs?
    Also I know im saying im not eating anything else. If I woke up late by going to bed really late i.e wake up at 12-1pm , and eat a bowl of lettuce to fill me up, would my body do that thing where it stores fat because it feels starved, would eating alot of lettuce prevent that as the next meal I would have would be high fat?
    I would also be looking at changing my main to a non Cream one.
    Cheers

eat the curry. enjoy it.

next day, get back on track. it's a lifestyle choice, not a jail term :-)
  • deadyankee
    Options
    Starvation mode is utter cobblers
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    No, your body doesn't work like that. You can't manipulate it into storing more or less of any particular meal. The only thing that matters is that you're consistently taking in fewer calories than you burn, over time. If you eat more one day, eat less another, so you average your goal. That's it.

When people say "starvation mode," they're talking about consistently eating way too few calories over an extended period of time, and even then there's a lot of argument about whether or not it even exists. It's not something that you get into after one day of eating lettuce.

The timing of your meals means nothing for weight loss, although it does affect how you feel. (For example, some people are fine eating one or two big meals, whereas that makes other people feel awful. If you feel fine eating a salad and then a big meal, go ahead and do it.)

The only thing to watch out for is the sodium content, since eating more sodium than normal can make you retain water and that can look like weight gain. It's not real weight and that water weight goes away, but if you weigh in after a sodium-heavy meal it may look like you didn't lose.
  • Starvation mode is utter cobblers

Love, love, love this!!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You will not go into starvation mode on less than a day.

Eating a bowl of lettuce for lunch seems extreme, I'd have a bowl of vegetable soup.

Having a nice meal out once in a while is no problem- are you determined to have all the food you listed above? You could certainly make lower cal choices, but you don't need to.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Glad to see these forums are so active at these times. Would you guys reccommend I eat more than salad for lunch that day? I.e how do I prevent my body going into starvation mode? Thats what im worried about

When I know that my dinner will be heavy, I will have my smoothie in the morning but instead of it being 400, ill make it like 250 cals. And then lunch would be a salad with chicken or another protien source. Take a look at today for me. I haven't yet put in the 300-400 cal lasagna or the 300 cal cake yet, so ill probably be over. It'll give you an idea anyway. Good luck and try not to worry about it if its a rare sort of treat for you.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I would typically eat :
    2 poppadoms & Chutney
    Chicken Pakora

Oh my, that just sounds awesome.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options

^^This^^ and ENJOY!!
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    I wouldnt enjoy it if I didnt eat what I usually did. perhaps I will cut down but if I give in once im hoping ill be ok as I do do alot of exercise per day and am keeping up. (17.25 in 6 weeks) so nearly 3lbs per week
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Thanks , but is it likely that I would f**k up my weeks work by doing that?
    And also would my body store more of the curry due to of only had salad?

One bad meal won't make you fat, just like one healthy one won't make you skinny. Eating this meal won't 'Undo' a weeks worth of work. Portion control and moderation is key for a healthy lifestyle.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    This is a journey of a thousand miles, not a 5k race.
    Stopping every so often to see the sights is not really going to set you back enough to notice in the long run.
    Besides, how often are you under your daily goal? If you have been under by just 50cals for 20 days in the past...you are already 1,000cals ahead.
    What you are looking for is average over time. Look at your monthly average. Is it on track, or even better? Then all is good and you are making progress.
  • jmsspr93
    Options
    This is a journey of a thousand miles, not a 5k race.
    Stopping every so often to see the sights is not really going to set you back enough to notice in the long run.
    Besides, how often are you under your daily goal? If you have been under by just 50cals for 20 days in the past...you are already 1,000cals ahead.
    What you are looking for is average over time. Look at your monthly average. Is it on track, or even better? Then all is good and you are making progress.
    I Save 1500 Per day on average when it says 2200 but I think I can consume more to maintain so I guess I save more than 1500 per day, nearer 2000, Every day.