Do I really need to eat my recommend calories?

Options
13»

Replies

• ariannad78
    Options
    You are putting your body in starvation mode with your low calorie intake. first off you are already thin at 100lb and 5ft 4inches. This is not healthy at all.
    I have the same problem too. In fact I've seemed to gained a steady pound since I've started my attempt to net 1200 daily. I do feel more energetic, but my stomach has never ceased being bloated. Not sure if this is just my body adapting to a new eating schedule, or if I'm actually just on the path to gaining weight.
    agreed to the fulliest extent
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Hm. I got pregnant and 17 and then at 19, and was on birth control and it did nothing to my metabolism. If I gained any weight during my pregnancy it was because I ate too much.

and had a baby growing inside you =-)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.

Seriously? Yes, she's 100 pounds. She is also 5'2" and only 19 years old. Her metabolism is through the roof, I would imagine. When I was her age (and also 5'2") I weighed 101 pounds with a very healthy relationship with food and my body image. However, I wasn't looking to lose weight. But still.. we are here for support and not to bring each other down. Right?

Your proile says that you are 39 y/o and have struggled with your weight for 20 years. That means that at around age 19 you began your struggle with weight and body image...according to my calculations.

Yet here you are defending this 19 y/o that wants to lose at 100lbs??? Helping her is much different than supporting her unhealthy goals.

I think maybe you are seeing yourself in this 19 y/o.

Haha. Too funny! I got pregnant at 19 and my metabolism slowed. Also was on birth control that caused me to gain a ton of weight. There was nothing wrong with my self-image. You are sadly mistaken there.

You said in your profile that you had STRUGGLED with your weight for 20 years.

I was pregnant at 20...my weight gain wasn't a struggle...it is what happens when you are pregnant.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Hm. I got pregnant and 17 and then at 19, and was on birth control and it did nothing to my metabolism. If I gained any weight during my pregnancy it was because I ate too much.

and had a baby growing inside you =-)

:blushing:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    hi think that it is a good idea because if want to lose or can gain or have loss to weight

Um....wut?
  • Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Try sitting down , and dividing up your total calorie goals into goals you'd like to hit for each meal . I just started doing it but I think it helps to first start hitting the small targets as each meal/snack time comes around. My daily goal is 1570 , currently I do breakfast: 270, snack 140, lunch 400, snack 130, dinner 500 snack 130. I'm sure most would say eat your biggest meal in the morning but I find even if I do that I will still want to eat more at night, so I just eat a smaller breakfast because I'm not hungry anyways.
    Try having an extra serving/ half-serving of some of the healthy foods you're already enjoying :). I'm sorry, I just realized I didn't even directly answer your question! There are a lot of different opinions on this, honestly I wouldn't want to net under 1200 a day. There will most likely be a debate on this thread about it but ultimately your doctor can give you the best answer.

Oh I'm the same thing- I'm so much more likely to eat at night than during the day. Dinner is my biggest meal often, and I'll have it about 7pm/8pm as well (I don't go to bed until late).
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I sense an unhealthy relationship with food and body image.....1200 contrary to popular belief, is not a lot of calories.

Blindly condoning a very low calorie diet is not being supportive - it's enabling.

And I'm not blindly condoning/enabling. Telling someone they are being unhealthy and have a bad body image is certainly no more supportive than my statements. It's important for people to hear POSITIVE feedback. As with all things, there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things. The OP apparently wants to be healthy or else the OP wouldn't be asking for help and she wouldn't be just grabbing whatever at the end of the day to try to get enougb calories. She would just not eat and not worry abou it.

Yes, and the right way to go about this is to explain that eating less than 1200 calories a day is NOT healthy for most people. There's nothing negative about saying this at all. What other feedback is there to give here? If the OP was interested in being healthy, she wouldn't be starving herself all day to the point of dizziness and shakes. Her behavior is very consistent with ED behavior, which she admits to struggling with in the past. She should seek professional help before she relapses.

And, before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I had an ED for many years when I was younger. Even though I've been recovered for 10+ years, I still have moments when I obsess too much and I am proactive about avoiding triggers (for example, I won't use a food scale). Counting calories in and of itself is a trigger for most people recovering from an ED. That's why it's important to understand the history of the person you are giving advice to...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Will you please quote the part for me where the OP said they had a history of eating disorderbecause I seriously missed that part.

It's on the OP's profile, which was pointed out on the first page:

"I've struggled with eating issues since junior high. I had EDNOS all through junior high through high school and at my lowest point weighed in at only 109 lbs and was throwing up any little it of food I let myself eat."

Sometimes it helps to look at a person's profile, posting history, and food diary to get a sense of what kind of advice they need, as opposed to simply spouting off whatever you want without knowing what's going on.

I didn't go snooping into her profile. This is a valid question that I'm sure many people have, such as I, that are not even on the vergeof having an eating disorder. So if people could just answer the question with reasoning and support instead of bringing people down, that would be great.

I don't really think reading someone's public profile before giving them specific personal advice is "snooping."

You really need to stop posting; none of this helps the OP, if she's even still around.
    And yet..what are you saying is such a huge help. Lmao. Whatever.

What he is saying IS a huge help.

Not fueling an eating disorder with crap advice because you are too lazy to read/research before you type is not helpful.

You have offered no solid advice whatever soever and are derailing this thread with your "YOU AREN'T SUPPORTIVE" accusations -- and yet you're talking about other people bringing people down. LOLWTF.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Appetite can be suppressed by not eating regularly enough, so don't always use hunger as your guide - especially with a history of EDNOS.

As for advice - you don't need to worry about your weight at all, so enjoy some chocolate, some nuts or whatever. Things that you eat simply because you enjoy them. Also, don't worry about the time of day you eat ANYTHING - is is irrelevant for 99% of the population because calorie expenditure and intake will still be constant over 24 hours, regardless of WHEN you've eaten. So if you want something sweet in the evening, have at it.

If this is a continuing cycle you can't seem to break, please get professional help.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Will you please quote the part for me where the OP said they had a history of eating disorderbecause I seriously missed that part.

"I've struggled with eating issues since junior high. I had EDNOS all through junior high through high school and at my lowest point weighed in at only 109 lbs and was throwing up any little it of food I let myself eat."

Sometimes it helps to look at a person's profile, posting history, and food diary to get a sense of what kind of advice they need, as opposed to simply spouting off whatever you want without knowing what's going on.

I didn't go snooping into her profile. This is a valid question that I'm sure many people have, such as I, that are not even on the vergeof having an eating disorder. So if people could just answer the question with reasoning and support instead of bringing people down, that would be great.

I don't really think reading someone's public profile before giving them specific personal advice is "snooping."

You really need to stop posting; none of this helps the OP, if she's even still around.

Not fueling an eating disorder with crap advice because you are too lazy to read/research before you type is not helpful.

You have offered no solid advice whatever soever and are derailing this thread with your "YOU AREN'T SUPPORTIVE" accusations -- and yet you're talking about other people bringing people down. LOLWTF.
    this.

Stop pooing on the thread, susie.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options

Looking at the open, public profile of a person who is already reaching out and asking for help is not snooping. People answering the question with reason. If you take offense at the realistic response that OP can't eat a very low 1200 calories and doesn't eat until she feels shaky at only 19 years old, perhaps this is a thread you should stay away from, especially as you have struggled with your weight in the past yourself. We are trying to help OP. Your defense of her unrealistic goals are not helpful or supportive in the least.

We have all struggled with our weight or else we wouldn't be here counting calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Looking at the open, public profile of a person who is already reaching out and asking for help is not snooping. People answering the question with reason. If you take offense at the realistic response that OP can't eat a very low 1200 calories and doesn't eat until she feels shaky at only 19 years old, perhaps this is a thread you should stay away from, especially as you have struggled with your weight in the past yourself. We are trying to help OP. Your defense of her unrealistic goals are not helpful or supportive in the least.

We have all struggled with our weight or else we wouldn't be here counting calories.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in the thread, but it's obviously not to help the OP. And the OP genuinely needs help.

Please, stop posting, and if you have other issues start your own thread about them.
  • susie3g
    Options

this.

Stop pooing on the thread, susie.

I've offered no solid advice, much like many others here. This is true. I wonder why I haven't offered advice. Could it be because I said that I have a similar problem and was following the thread for answers? Hmm.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've offered no solid advice, much like many others here. This is true. I wonder why I haven't offered advice. Could it be because I said that I have a similar problem and was following the thread for answers? Hmm.

There are plenty of answers for you in this thread. If you find the answers insufficient, I suggest you start your own thread with your specific questions. Your situation is different enough from the OP that you should post your questions separately.
  • susie3g
    Options
    I posted my question separately. I apologize for not doing that from the beginning and for trying to gain any knowledge from someone else's post. I apologize for coming off like I'm supportive of eating disorders. That's not the case at all. Have a nice day everyone.