Mental Toughness

Options
124»

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

nothing unhealthy about it. It's pretty normal. And no I don't think I'm a piece of *kitten*. I think I'm fabulous and extremely awesome- but when I step to the gym- that means nothing- telling me I'm awesome gets me no where. it's self defeating. Harder stronger faster doesn't come from a place of being already good- it comes from a place of not being good enough.

Your opinion, not a fact.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

nothing unhealthy about it. It's pretty normal. And no I don't think I'm a piece of *kitten*. I think I'm fabulous and extremely awesome- but when I step to the gym- that means nothing- telling me I'm awesome gets me no where. it's self defeating. Harder stronger faster doesn't come from a place of being already good- it comes from a place of not being good enough.

Mehhhhh opinion? not so much.
    It takes all types- I'm not saying it's the only way. But it works. It's a true statement- it works. That isn't an opinion. It may not work for you but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Mehhhhh opinion? not so much.
    It takes all types- I'm not saying it's the only way. But it works. It's a true statement- it works. That isn't an opinion. It may not work for you but that doesn't mean it doesn't work.

Um....yeah. It's a subjective thing so, essentially an opinion based on your own experiences. But, hey, call it what you want.

I'm moving on...
  • RobotZombieNinja
    Options
    I treat it like commerce. If you go shopping and see something you really want, the price only matters as far as the object's worth to you. If you want it badly enough, you'll pay the price for it. If you don't...you won't.

When I'm working towards a certain weight or number or reps on a lift, or on a certain time or pace while running, I count the cost. I remind myself of where I want to be; of what I am working towards. I remind myself that without this momentary sacrifice I won't get what I want. If it's worth it, and if you want it badly enough...you'll endure. If not, then no amount of cheerleading will get you there.
  • chelseafisher5648
    chelseafisher5648 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't let puking in running stop you. I am military and many puked when pushing there selves on a run but your body adjust and continue to do it. Don't eat before hand eat carbs the night before and hydrate the night and day before if you wake and run its ok to not have anything in your stomache they had us run at 5am than shower and breakfast and always drank water the night before prevents cramping as well.
  • Xenus
    Xenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This story always gets me a little more motivated to lift heavy objects. Hope its okay to post a link:

http://doyouevenlift.tumblr.com/post/31050932469/craigs-story

Right in the feels! :sad: :bigsmile:
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling - I started a new strength training programme a few weeks ago which is a real shock to the system and I really feel the pain. Most of the exercises I do are 3 sets of 15 reps - the last couple of reps are the hardest. I do a few techniques:
    1) Focus on my breathing - I take deep breaths during each exercise - kind of like in labour!
    2) I break the set into 3 mini sets of 5 reps - I think to myself, just 5 reps, then after the first 5, I think, just another 5 and push through.
    3) I find count backwards on the last 5 helps as psychologically it feels like theres less reps to go
    4) For some exercises I will start with a lighter weight on the first set and do reps of 16 then 14. On the final set I up the weight and do 12 reps. This changes it up a bit and when you're really burning on the last set you know you have less reps to do than the previous sets!

Seems to work well for me.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I think I'm fabulous and extremely awesome- but when I step to the gym- that means nothing- telling me I'm awesome gets me no where. it's self defeating. Harder stronger faster doesn't come from a place of being already good- it comes from a place of not being good enough.

This.

If you want to be merely competent - go easy on yourself.

If you want to go beyond merely competent then you need to push yourself. Critically examine your own flaws so you can address them and transcend them. This will be tough. You need to be tough. It's never ending. You must be constantly overcoming yourself. Or else, why bother?
  • Xenus
    Xenus Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Take pride in going into the pain cave .... Not everyone willingly embraces the idea of suffering to better oneself, but you do.

And that makes you mentally tougher than those who don't.

This. Is going to be a wallpaper. Thank you.