Netflix, et al are ruining the way we watch TV

Options
Maximus
Maximus Posts: 12,256 Member
Remember when we, as a nation, would gather around the TV to watch something together? The final episode of MASH. Who shot JR??? The last episode of LOST (which sucked, btw)

But now with Netflix and others streaming original (and awesome) content, how much longer will it be before those days are gone? Now that everyone can watch on their own schedule, the anticipation of sharing big moments in a series are gone.

Discuss.

Thank you,

Management

Replies

• SGM_Adonis
    SGM_Adonis Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I HATE having to wait through the first 3-5 minutes of every show I'm watching in succession. Don't they know I just watched the previous episode?

That's enough suspense for me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The nation has terrible taste.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    no. it isn't ruining it.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    This may make me sound old but the VCR started it.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't even own a TV. I had the "privilege" of watching one in a hospital stay last year. I can't believe the number of commercials I had to watch. NO NO NO.. Netflix is a godsend.
  • ddixon503
    ddixon503 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    As soon as regular TV stop shoveling reality shows and rehashing lawyer/police/fireman dramas at me, I'll stop watching Netflix.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for sports, I would watch all my shows on Netflix.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Now, someone could be finished with the entire 2nd season of House of Cards while others may just be starting. They can't talk about it because it may spoil it for someone.

I don't care about other people, so I can talk if I want to.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for sports, I would watch all my shows on Netflix.

And this.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This may make me sound old but the VCR started it.

But you still had to wait to for the show to air. You weren't ahead of everyone. You were probably behind.

Now, someone could be finished with the entire 2nd season of House of Cards while others may just be starting. They can't talk about it because it may spoil it for someone.

Did someone spoil the House of Cards for you? Is this what's really going on?
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't think Netflix and other streaming sites ruined the way we watch TV and interact with others about TV, I think it just changed it. Sure, you've got to worry about spoilers but if you're watching a show as it comes out you still get that feeling of sharing big moments, even if you watched it a day or so later. You still anticipate big moments and you still talk about them and anticipate the next big moment.

Besides, you have to go back quite a few years to get to "everyone was watching together" because we've had so many channels to watch and choose from that so few people are actually going to watch the same thing at the same time and then immediately talk about it. So really, you should be blaming cable.
  • beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I'm going to watch the very last episode tonight and tell you all about it!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Whatever. I haven't seen a commercial in months and it is glorious.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love Netflix and also see your point. I love House of Cards and now I also have the option to get into Scandal, yes I'm really late on that one, but I now have options. And I like options better than trying to figure out what the networks are doing, jumping all over the place with their prgramming and having to try and figure out when the next episode is coming on in a series or is this a re-run? That how I lost it with Revenge.

I do miss talking about the latest episode by the water cooler, but this beats missing it all together. Also given this winter and all of this snow, staying home and having a Netflix marathon is fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Meh...I've been DVRing my shows now for years. I can't remember the last time I watched live television other than a sporting event...and even then, I usually DVR a good portion of it so I can fast forward through commercials and just watch the game.

Now with the prevalence of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, etc we've just dumped out satellite altogether and just stream. It is the way of the future.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    ...I regularly have people over to watch shows on Netflix. Am I just weird? Edit: Also, British netflix released episodes of Breaking Bad as they aired so I didn't miss talking about it to anyone. Just need an unblocker.