Netflix, et al are ruining the way we watch TV

Options

Replies

• beernpizza2
    beernpizza2 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    This is just making me want to go home and watch Netflix for the rest of the day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Remember when we, as a nation, would gather around the TV to watch something together? The final episode of MASH. Who shot JR??? The last episode of LOST (which sucked, btw)

But now with Netflix and others streaming original (and awesome) content, how much longer will it be before those days are gone? Now that everyone can watch on their own schedule, the anticipation of sharing big moments in a series are gone.

Discuss.

Thank you,

Management
    We'll still have the Super Bowl.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Netflix, Hulu, etc. are eventually going to make cable and satellite TV subscriptions obsolete. For under $20 a month, people can pretty much watch what they want, whereas packages by cable and satellite companies "include" a mass array of channels many could care less about, but have to pay higher prices to include the channels they want in that package. If not for live sports events, TV would have gone out a year ago IMO. It's gonna happen though. Pro sports will sell their services to anyone who wants to buy them and if watching live sports events costs an extra $10 a month on Netflix, then people will ditch their TV services.
    Wish I would have invested in Netflix when it started.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It's horrible!. .Before you know it we'll be back to discussing BOOKS!. . (oh the humanity). .
    This!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't do streaming except during the summer when there's nothing but reruns. Does that count?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Remember when we, as a nation, would gather around the TV to watch something together? The final episode of MASH. Who shot JR??? The last episode of LOST (which sucked, btw)

But now with Netflix and others streaming original (and awesome) content, how much longer will it be before those days are gone? Now that everyone can watch on their own schedule, the anticipation of sharing big moments in a series are gone.

Discuss.

Thank you,

Management
    We'll still have the Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl is for suckers! :laugh:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for sports, I would watch all my shows on Netflix.

Was just thinking that this morning but then remembered I have at bat for my baseball games, a bar for football games and sports center at the gym for all other highlights.
  • rml_16
    Options
    It's horrible!. .Before you know it we'll be back to discussing BOOKS!. . (oh the humanity). .
    This!
    ANYTHING BUT BOOKS!!!
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Netflix, Hulu, etc. are eventually going to make cable and satellite TV subscriptions obsolete. For under $20 a month, people can pretty much watch what they want, whereas packages by cable and satellite companies "include" a mass array of channels many could care less about, but have to pay higher prices to include the channels they want in that package. If not for live sports events, TV would have gone out a year ago IMO. It's gonna happen though. Pro sports will sell their services to anyone who wants to buy them and if watching live sports events costs an extra $10 a month on Netflix, then people will ditch their TV services.
    Wish I would have invested in Netflix when it started.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

And this is the reason why cable companies fought the FCC to allow them to block or limit data rates to certain sites. Pay me more or I will limit your download speeds to Netflix.

NFL will cost a little bit more that $10 a month. :sad:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick a choice between having to plan my TV schedule around my life, or planning my life around TV schedule, I choose the former. The latter just seems like one of the many things that contribute to an unhealthy lifestyle.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

I discuss books all the time. SHAMEFUL

I have a book club for that. It is hard to discuss books around the water cooler at work.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't even care. House of Cards is ****ing amazing! I love it.

I don't pay for cable. I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I can't justify spending $100+ a month for TV when I rarely watch it.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options

I still do this. I love reading, lol
  • LJGettinSexy
    LJGettinSexy Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Discuss.

Thank you,

Management

Netflix can't ruin the big moment. By the time Netflix gets a tv series, the shows has already ended and/or climaxed. Netflix gets the shows and movies after they come out on dvd. So if you're watching a tv series weekly, that season will not be on Netflox, therefore it can't be ruined by Netflix. The tv shows aren't that great, that's what's ruining tv.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This may make me sound old but the VCR started it.

But you still had to wait to for the show to air. You weren't ahead of everyone. You were probably behind.

Now, someone could be finished with the entire 2nd season of House of Cards while others may just be starting. They can't talk about it because it may spoil it for someone.

But you're referencing a Netflix created show. Most shows you still have to wait to air (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones).. and for them to be on Netflix, they need to be out on DVD. You can't bunch those into the same category as House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.. those are their own monsters. I do think that Netflix should air those sequentially to build a bit of suspense between episodes, but it's their product. they can release it as they like. Better reason for you to invite all your friends over for a 3 hour block of watching!
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    When we watched M*A*S*H and "Who shot JR" network television was averaging something like 12-13 minutes per hour of commercials.

Now network TV averages something like, what, 20-22 minute per hour?

Netflix isn't ruining network TV--network TV is ruining itself.
  • rml_16
    Options
    This may make me sound old but the VCR started it.

But you still had to wait to for the show to air. You weren't ahead of everyone. You were probably behind.

Now, someone could be finished with the entire 2nd season of House of Cards while others may just be starting. They can't talk about it because it may spoil it for someone.

But you're referencing a Netflix created show. Most shows you still have to wait to air (Walking Dead, Game of Thrones).. and for them to be on Netflix, they need to be out on DVD. You can't bunch those into the same category as House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.. those are their own monsters. I do think that Netflix should air those sequentially to build a bit of suspense between episodes, but it's their product. they can release it as they like. Better reason for you to invite all your friends over for a 3 hour block of watching!

Let me just tell you about Game of Thrones and spoilers. There are these BOOKS that give everything away!

True story.
  • LJGettinSexy
    Options
    If I had to pick a choice between having to plan my TV schedule around my life, or planning my life around TV schedule, I choose the former. The latter just seems like one of the many things that contribute to an unhealthy lifestyle.

I choose the latter, especially if it's a great show. Of course, you can't totally live like that, but I plan around my favorite shows. I enjoy tv just that much. LOL!!!
  • LJGettinSexy
    Options
    When we watched M*A*S*H and "Who shot JR" network television was averaging something like 12-13 minutes per hour of commercials.

Now network TV averages something like, what, 20-22 minute per hour?

Netflix isn't ruining network TV--network TV is ruining itself.

Yeah! Totally agree!