Is my fitness instructor right?

Options
124»

Replies

• 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My guess is your fitness instructor is telling you all calories are not treated the same by your body.

100 calories of beans or cauliflower is not the same as 100 calories from coke or white bread (neither of which contain fat).

"There’s an increasing body of evidence, however, that calories from highly processed carbohydrates like white flour (and of course sugar) provide calories that the body treats differently, spiking both blood sugar and insulin and causing us to retain fat instead of burning it off.

In other words, all calories are not alike." Source http://markbittman.com/all-calories-are-not-created-equal/
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Sugar intake has never really affected me in terms of body-fat or weight loss, but it does affect my moods and make me sluggish if I have too much refined sugar, so I try to keep that down as far as possible. It sounds as if your fitness trainer is horribly out of date in their education.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor tells me that my sugar content should not be above 25g a day.

She says that if I keep going over this allowance I won't lose my fat from my middle section.

Is this right? My sugar was set by MFP till I've just changed it to 35g from 63g.

I'm worried now I won't loose it from my stomach or has anyone lost the touch area regardless of sugar intake, just by staying in a calorie deflect

No, your fitness instructor is absolutely not right.

Fitness instructors are in general the last people you should be taking nutrition advice from.

As a fitness instructor I take offense to that. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My fitness instructor tells me that my sugar content should not be above 25g a day.

She says that if I keep going over this allowance I won't lose my fat from my middle section.

Is this right? My sugar was set by MFP till I've just changed it to 35g from 63g.

I'm worried now I won't loose it from my stomach or has anyone lost the touch area regardless of sugar intake, just by staying in a calorie deflect

No, your fitness instructor is absolutely not right.

Fitness instructors are in general the last people you should be taking nutrition advice from.

As a fitness instructor I take offense to that. :laugh:

Well I'm not even a fitness instructor but I probably know way more about nutrition than the vast majority of them. You have to admit that most fitness instructors (especially ones that say you have to stay <25g sugar) know little to nothing useful about nutrition.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    You actually lose weight from the last place you gained it. Then it goes in that order. Wherever you gained last is where you will lose first.

:huh:

I'd love to see your source of that info.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, if this is true, is it also true in reverse, if so I am totally going to increase my calories just a tad bit so I can gain back only what I lost in my bewbies cause you know, thats the last place I lost from. Yay for science and stuff :smile:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    http://www.chicagonow.com/laws-exercise/2013/01/the-untrained-personal-trainer-10-ways-your-trainer-shows-hes-an-idiot-amongst-other-things/

no. 8.... what are her credentials and explainations? You can ask you know! You are paying for knowledge.

she isn't like this too is she?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStLAAzAKx68nnKaRbQNWd7dx6g_uyveRKNJvMZj3JHYqk12sAd

run away if so.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    @OP. It's good that you have the common sense to question what your fitness trainer told you. I used to be so gullible that I would believe anything anybody told me. Not anymore.