Low-Carb Help!

Options
Hi guys :) I'm trying the low-carb thing and have a question. I was looking at the "primal blueprint carbohydrate curve" diagram and it says the sweet spot for weight loss is staying between 50g-100g/day in carbs. Does this amount mean total carbs, including fiber, or net carbs, in which I subtract the grams of fiber from my total carb intake? Thank you!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi guys :) I'm trying the low-carb thing and have a question. I was looking at the "primal blueprint carbohydrate curve" diagram and it says the sweet spot for weight loss is staying between 50g-100g/day in carbs. Does this amount mean total carbs, including fiber, or net carbs, in which I subtract the grams of fiber from my total carb intake? Thank you!

Luckily you can ignore the cho curve for weightloss as it's completely made up by Sisson and has no basis in reality
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't know the "primal blueprint carbohydrate curve diagram" but I know that for me, the sweet spot is definitely 50-100g NET (subtracting fiber) carbs. I found that through trial and error over a two year period. I'm now trying to get myself back into that zone on a regular basis...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Luckily you can ignore the cho curve for weightloss as it's completely made up by Sisson and has no basis in reality

ACg67, you seem like one of Marks jilted lovers, I'm feeling a lot hate there dude.

I eat based on the primal blue print - and for me it works.

Like every single diet people will suggest on MFP none of them suit everyone and you have to do your research and make informed decisions yourself.

That said, staying about 50g (approx. is ideal as you will be just outside the range of ketosis, however everybody reacts differently so sometimes it's a bit of trial an error).

Of all the diets I have researched before choosing one, I did find the primal blueprint to best suit my health needs.

He has a free podcast, I would suggest going on to his website and listening to the one he posted last week.

Don't be put off by the fact he sells supplements - he doesn't force them on anyone and in fact - like me you can happily follow the blueprint free of charge.

Again I will advice any information you get either on this site or anywhere else, do your own research.

Good luck.
  • Acg67
    Options

ACg67, you seem like one of Marks jilted lovers, I'm feeling a lot hate there dude.

Like every single diet people will suggest on MFP none of them suit everyone and you have to do your research and make informed decisions yourself.

That said, staying about 50g (approx. is ideal as you will be just outside the range of ketosis, however everybody reacts differently so sometimes it's a bit of trial an error).

Of all the diets I have researched before choosing one, I did find the primal blueprint to best suit my health needs.

He has a free podcast, I would suggest going on to his website and listening to the one he posted last week.

Don't be put off by the fact he sells supplements - he doesn't force them on anyone and in fact - like me you can happily follow the blueprint free of charge.

Again I will advice any information you get either on this site or anywhere else, do your own research.

Good luck.

No hate, just a realist. Sisson either cherry picks studies or just completely makes things up and his cult just eats it up
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Diet composition does not have any direct impact on body weight.

xpRIZCA.png

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/55/2/350.full.pdf

Eating a low-carb diet may help you stick to a diet by eliminating sources of highly palatable, calorie-dense foods. But there is nothing about the chemical nature of the food that is affecting body weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Eats it up - great pun.

Hey dude I would hope that anyone following primal would do some background themselves - I know I do.

Plus, show me a diet or a study group that doesn't cherry pick their facts (or come from a bias side)!! In fact almost everyone I see debating on the MFP forums have their own unshakable (and unmoveable) belief in what's true, based on their own opinions from which they have cherry picked research to support.

That's why I did a fair bit of researching before choosing the primal.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the blue print is, but the net carbs vs total carbs thing may be trial and error like another user said.

I do low carb and follow Atkins loosely and Atkins does NET carbs (but the old Atkins was TOTAL carbs). I personally can be fine doing net carbs and not affect my weightloss or make me feel any more or less hungry, but others cannot and have to stick to TOTAL carbs.
    The other thing that affects net carbs is sugar alcohols. I'm guessing this affects people moreso than the fiber so be leery of products that are low net carbs but have alot of sugar alcohols.
    Of the products that might have higher carb counts but decent amounts of fiber would be things like almonds or some veggies. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you don't binge eat on those which will add up fast calorie wise.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    See - mailmaker above is my case in point!!
  • opheliaoceana
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I started low carb at the start of the year.
    I have my macros set to 40 fat/30 carb/30 protein. (I'm starting to lose inches like crazy! Now the weight is dropping again!)
    This makes my carbs around 166 g and I set my sugars to 75 g.
    It works for me.
    I would say go for your NET carbs. I know the primal blueprint is close to paleo but I know nothing of the diagram.
    I went to the low carb after reading...

.... do I say it?

GARY TAUBES (Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It)

If you are interested, please find a low carb group to join to find additional support from other low carbers.
  • opheliaoceana
    Options

Good luck.

Thank you so much
  • Acg67
    Options
    Eats it up - great pun.

Hey dude I would hope that anyone following primal would do some background themselves - I know I do.

Plus, show me a diet or a study group that doesn't cherry pick their facts (or come from a bias side)!! In fact almost everyone I see debating on the MFP forums have their own unshakable (and unmoveable) belief in what's true, based on their own opinions from which they have cherry picked research to support.

Does the vast majority of research, particularly tightly controlled trials in which cals and protein are held constant, show any fat loss advantage for low carb diets? And Sisson's beloved Grok ate a high carb diet in the insidious weight gain range of his curve, oops

Did you know Sisson calls added sugars poisons but adds them to his own protein powders, whoops again
  • Acg67
    Options
    I have my macros set to 40 fat/30 carb/30 protein. (I'm starting to lose inches like crazy! Now the weight is dropping again!)
    It works for me.
    I would say go for your NET carbs. I know the primal blueprint is close to paleo but I know nothing of the diagram.

.... do I say it?

If you are interested, please find a low carb group to join to find additional support from other low carbers.

Yaaaaay, confirmation bias and suggesting another guy who just makes things up with no basis in reality
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Acg67 - have you actually read anything of Taubes? It's very scientifically based, and he has the list of resources to prove it. I understand he is not a biologist, but - he is an actual scientist and knows how to conduct research, theorize, and what not.

Anyone interested can also look up the Nutrition Science Initiative, of which Taubes is a co-founder.

It works for me.

.... do I say it?

Yaaaaay, confirmation bias and suggesting another guy who just makes things up with no basis in reality
  • Acg67
    Options
    Acg67 - have you actually read anything of Taubes? It's very scientifically based, and he has the list of resources to prove it. I understand he is not a biologist, but - he is an actual scientist and knows how to conduct research, theorize, and what not.

Anyone interested can also look up the Nutrition Science Initiative, of which Taubes is a co-founder.

I've read GCBC and Why We Get Fat, his blog and NYT pieces, stuff like this is completely made up and not supported whatsoever

"If you restrict only carbohydra­tes, you can always eat more protein and fat if you feel the urge, since they have no effect on fat accumulati­on"

Location 2519 Kindle edition of Why We Get Fat

"But protein and fat don't make us fat-only the carbohydra­tes do-so there is no reason to curtail them in any way"

Location 3064 Why We Get Fat
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If low carb helps you adhere to your "diet" (caloric deficit) then it works for you. But it is the deficit doing the work, not the low carb.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I'm interested in real science, something Taubes fails at miserably........

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/why-we-get-fat/

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/2011/05/16/thin-body-of-evidence-why-i-have-doubts-about-gary-taubess-why-we-get-fat/

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2011/08/carbohydrate-hypothesis-of-obesity.html

and more.......
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Some people want to try a low carb diet. Some say it is working for them. Others think it has no basis in reality. While still others think it helps create a calorie deficit that leads to weight loss.

That about cover it? I think those opinions are adequately expressed in this thread now.

Anyone else have any input on the question the OP actually asked?
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Eats it up - great pun.

Does the vast majority of research, particularly tightly controlled trials in which cals and protein are held constant, show any fat loss advantage for low carb diets? And Sisson's beloved Grok ate a high carb diet in the insidious weight gain range of his curve, oops

Did you know Sisson calls added sugars poisons but adds them to his own protein powders, whoops again

A supplement manufacturer using added sugar, what next are you going to suggest he uses bulking agents? A revelation like that would rock the very foundations of my belief system.

You seem to have a real downer on people suggesting low carb (are you secretly the CEO of Kelloggs) You and erickirb look very similar is this one of those conspiracy thing?????

Just because low carb doesn't suit you doesn't mean it won't suit others. For example I'm not in to line dancing (its a phobia about tassels sort of thing), but I know loads of people that love it (in fact I think Mark Sissons is big line dancer) and I wouldn't suggest to them not to do just because its not my bag.

By the way a link about a low carb study showing loss of body fat and maintenance of lean mass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12077732
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Eats it up - great pun.

A supplement manufacturer using added sugar, what next are you going to suggest he uses bulking agents? A revelation like that would rock the very foundations of my belief system.

You seem to have a real downer on people suggesting low carb (are you secretly the CEO of Kelloggs) You and erickirb look very similar is this one of those conspiracy thing?????

Just because low carb doesn't suit you doesn't mean it won't suit others. For example I'm not in to line dancing (its a phobia about tassels sort of thing), but I know loads of people that love it (in fact I think Mark Sissons is big line dancer) and I wouldn't suggest to them not to do just because its not my bag.

By the way a link about a low carb study showing loss of body fat and maintenance of lean mass.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12077732
    That study was brought to you by a grant from the Atkins foundation.......we need to look at many studies, not the ones that support a biased stance and opinion, but one that challenges it, then make comments on the overall data which is not what Taubes or Mark do and why would they, that would detract from their marketing strategy of selling books and lifestyles.