Do I have to eat over 1200 calories a day?

Options
If you see this topic elsewhere, I apologize in advance. I was told the best thing for me to do was make my own thread since my conditions might be different from the other person posting. So hopefully someone can help me.

I'm 39 year old female, 5'2", 188 pounds. I usually don't get hungry till almost noon, but I try to eat before then if I can remember. I'm always afraid I won't have enough calories for my evening meal with the family, so I add those calories in MFP first, then I decide what I'm having for lunch. I usually leave myself some leeway just in case I want a snack after supper. But then.. a lot of times, we end up eating a late supper and so I'm not hungry enough for a snack before bed. Do I absolutely have to eat 1200 calories a day? I have done the research and I understand how it is supposed to work. It just seems counterproductive to stuff yourself when you're full already. I've been losing weight, but it went from 7 pounds my first week, 4 pounds the second week, and 0.1 pounds the 3rd week. MFP tells me my calories should be between 1200-1420 a day. I try to stay closer to the lower number, but it's difficult to stay within the range sometimes.

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you open your diary. It's extremely unlikely that you are hitting appropriate nutrient goals eating under 1200 calories, regardless of the energy expenditure.
  • michael300891
    Options
    First up, unfortunately I can't see your diary and I don't know your goals so hard to determine.

However, no 1200 calories is not a hard a fast rule for everyone.

What is your deficit at 1200 calories? Im assuming your on at least 1lb/week weight loss? If so, occasionally dropping to about 1000kcal wont be a problem. If your on 2lb/week to target 1200kcal then I would be a bit more concerned.

One thing I will say is make sure your getting the right nutrients in. Load up on protein and healthy fats and leave carbohydrate till last - yes it is useful for energy but not as important to hit the right levels as those other nutrients.

Also, I bet at least one person on here will tell you you can't do it because of the starvation mode. "Starvation mode" comes from a much more severe energy deprivation than this so is not a real concern to you.

Cheers, Mike.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jonny and Mike. Make sure that you aren't shorting yourself on what counts and let the calories work themselves out. Some folks on here have posted that they seem to hit a roadblock until they up their calorie intake while others with really low BMRs can get away with shorter calories.

You are going to have to give it some time and monitor yourself to see what is helping you achieve your goal. Keep at it Susie, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it right?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You absolutely should be eating at least 1200 calories per day. It's really tough to meet nutritional needs without it.

Many people drop high calorie foods and substitute low calorie/high volume foods when starting on a diet. But, many vital nutrients are not found in some of these foods.

Example............eat a large green salad for lunch & put non-fat dressing on it. Sure the fiber helps to fill your stomach......but this is low protein AND low fat. These are 2 things your body needs.

Add back some calorie dense foods........these are small portions.....you can add them without being "stuffed."

Nuts, nut butters, olive oil, seeds, avocado, cheese

Going under 1200 regularly .....your body will use whatever it needs to for fuel.....stored fat (yeah!) AND existing muscle mass. 1200 NET calories is MFP's lowest number....so it's not like you are at a modest weight loss plan right now. The "net" means any time you exercise.....those calories are given back (you should be eating some of those also).

Losing weight quickly is great is if you have a chance to win lots of money......but in the real world it often comes at the price of future health......a good amount of muscle mass helps stoke your metabolism.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Ok. I wasnt aware it wasn't open. Let me see if I can fix that.
  • susie3g
    Options
    My diary should be open now. Thanks for the feedback.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OK, comments on your diary:

1) Your protein goal is very low and you are consistently under. Protein goals should be treated as absolute minimums; your goal should be approximately 1.1 - 1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. That probably puts you somewhere around 110-140 grams of protein per day.

2) Your fat goal is also low. Science shows that people should be eating about 0.3 to 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight per day for optimal hormone and neurological function. That puts your fat goal around 56-65 grams of fat per day. This should also be treated as a minimum.

3) You pretty much never hit 1200 calories, let alone the 1420 that represents your actual goal.

4) Your diet includes few vegetables or fruits, and contains a lot of carb-heavy snacks like crackers and granola bars.

Recommendations:

1) Significantly increase your protein and fat intake. You have many days where you eat extremely low fat and low protein. This is counterproductive.

2) Try to limit the carb-heavy snacks and focus on eating more balanced meals.

3) You must eat more vegetables and fruits. Find some vegetables you enjoy and make a concerted effort to work them into 2 meals a day.

4) In general try to focus your meals around meat and vegetables.

5) Hit your calorie goal. Consider any day where you end more than 75 calories away from your goal, in either direction, as a mistake. Hunger is misleading and often nonexistent. If you're "not hungry" but have not yet met your nutrient and calorie goals for the day eat anyway.

6) Buy a food scale. You don't appear to be weighing food and, believe me, this is critical. There is simply no way to accurately estimate portion size and calorie intake without a food scale. A good digital one is only about $15.

Long story short: eat more calories, and try to limit the carb-heavy snacks. Focus on getting more meat and more vegetables at every meal. Hit your calorie goal consistently.
  • susie3g
    Options
    Had a quick look, and your goal is currently 1420, is that for a net loss of 1lb/week? I can't be bothered to do the calculations myself but its important to know what your daily energy expenditure is.

Having had a quick look your still quite under on protein and fat most days when your at 1000kcal which to me suggests you need to eat more still perhaps with an appropriately timed snack to include the extra protein/fat.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter ( https://twitter.com/Michael300891 )

I think I have it set for 1 pound a week, but now I'm not sure. I have a few problems that limit what I can do for exercise but I've been trying to exercise 5 days a week. This past week is a bad example but usually I last about 20 minutes til I'm out of breath, MFP says burning about 115 +/- calories
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I second what Jonny said. He's offering some great advice, I would recommend following it.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options

5) Hit your calorie goal. Consider any day where you end more than 75 calories away from your goal, in either direction, as a mistake. Hunger is misleading and often nonexistent. If you're "not hungry" but have not yet met your nutrient and calorie goals for the day eat anyway.

I don't really agree. There are some days I am 200 calories away from my goal and I just don't want to eat anything else. If I work out late and come home have a snack, and then I am full but still have 200 left. .. I dont force myself to eat it.

It might balance out though. One day I might eat 200 more. That is why I look more closely at my weekly goals. If you are significantly under your weekly goals, then yes plan it out so you eat more during the day.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I don't really agree. There are some days I am 200 calories away from my goal and I just don't want to eat anything else. If I work out late and come home have a snack, and then I am full but still have 200 left. .. I dont force myself to eat it.

It might balance out though. One day I might eat 200 more. That is why I look more closely at my weekly goals. If you are significantly under your weekly goals, then yes plan it out so you eat more during the day.

"I'm not hungry, so I won't eat" is the sort of thinking that leads people to eating 1000 calories a day even though their goal is 1420, like the OP. It's also the justification people with genuine eating disorders use.

Hunger is a fickle thing that is often based more on mental state than what your body actually needs. For the most part, we (as in the population of MFP) are not good at the whole "feeding your body an appropriate calorie intake based on feel alone" which is why we're here.
  • susie3g
    Options

1) Your protein goal is very low and you are consistently under. Protein goals should be treated as absolute minimums; your goal should be approximately 1.1 - 1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. That probably puts you somewhere around 110-140 grams of protein per day.

2) Your fat goal is also low. Science shows that people should be eating about 0.3 to 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight per day for optimal hormone and neurological function. That puts your fat goal around 56-65 grams of fat per day. This should also be treated as a minimum.

3) You pretty much never hit 1200 calories, let alone the 1420 that represents your actual goal.

4) Your diet includes few vegetables or fruits, and contains a lot of carb-heavy snacks like crackers and granola bars.

Recommendations:

1) Significantly increase your protein and fat intake. You have many days where you eat extremely low fat and low protein. This is counterproductive.

3) You must eat more vegetables and fruits. Find some vegetables you enjoy and make a concerted effort to work them into 2 meals a day.

6) Buy a food scale. You don't appear to be weighing food and, believe me, this is critical. There is simply no way to accurately estimate portion size and calorie intake without a food scale. A good digital one is only about $15.

Long story short: eat more calories, and try to limit the carb-heavy snacks. Focus on getting more meat and more vegetables at every meal. Hit your calorie goal consistently.

Thank you for your response. If I make this much more complicated than it already is for me, I'm afraid I will not have the strength to continue. I haven't been paying attention to the nutrient values too much. I just know that I've come a long way from my "everything fried" southern roots. Food just doesn't even taste the same anymore. I usually choose the granola bar because it's quick. I simply don't have time to measure using scales. We eat supper late enough as it is. I do tend to take the higher calorie counts in MFP as a safeguard against going over on my calories. If I hit 1200 daily, would that make a difference if I don't keep up with the nutrient values?
  • mindyvanwesten
    Options
    YES!!! you will be in starvation mode if you do not. once you start adding more food into your diet you will gain it all back. They best thing to do is make sure you are getting your PFC in. Your protein, fats, and carbs. You need all three to get results. If you work out you need to add them caloires back into your diet. NO one should have to be at 1200 calories. You can not live off that you are starving yourself and your body will store your fat because it don't know when it will get food next. you need the food to fuel your body to keep you going.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Thank you for your response. If I make this much more complicated than it already is for me, I'm afraid I will not have the strength to continue. I haven't been paying attention to the nutrient values too much. I just know that I've come a long way from my "everything fried" southern roots. Food just doesn't even taste the same anymore. I usually choose the granola bar because it's quick. I simply don't have time to measure using scales. We eat supper late enough as it is. I do tend to take the higher calorie counts in MFP as a safeguard against going over on my calories. If I hit 1200 daily, would that make a difference if I don't keep up with the nutrient values?

Frankly, if you're just going to haphazardly guesstimate at calorie content and portion sizes it doesn't really matter what your goal is because your logging will be so far off that you won't be getting a remotely accurate picture of your intake.

I don't want to sound insensitive or anything, but if you're going to log it needs to be somewhat accurate. Otherwise you're wasting your time logging in the first place.

If someone else can come by and restate this in a diplomatic way that helps prevent this from turning into a "mean people" thread I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm a very late eater too. I normally don't eat breakfast til 1pm or 2. Honestly - if you are eating good foods, not "diet" foods, you'll find that it's not hard to hit at least 1200 calories while hitting your nutrition needs. A lot of people talk about being hungry when you're really not, that it's just you mentally thinking it. Which you could be doing with not feeling hungry. Your body needs certain things, certain foods, which you should be feeding it no matter what. If you're here to just lose weight, go ahead with what you're doing. But if your here to be HEALTHY and lose weight then I would make some adjustments.

Protein is very important - so I agree with what everyone has said about it. It's also easy to get.

And stop worrying about not having enough! I completely disagree with being under or over as a completely ruined day. Plan your day and if at the end of that day you are hungry for that maybe snack then don't fret if it puts you over a bit if you're making a healthy choice. Stop trying to make space for it in your calories if you aren't eating it every day.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

"I'm not hungry, so I won't eat" is the sort of thinking that leads people to eating 1000 calories a day even though their goal is 1420, like the OP. It's also the justification people with genuine eating disorders use.

Hunger is a fickle thing that is often based more on mental state than what your body actually needs. For the most part, we (as in the population of MFP) are not good at the whole "feeding your body an appropriate calorie intake based on feel alone" which is why we're here.

I am just stating that life happens and not everyone wants to raid the fridge at 10pm to eat 200 calories when they are not physically hungry. Which is why I suggested she looks at the weekly totals. Some days I am busy and I am under my goal, okay, some days I go over my goal because I went out to lunch. But my week totals are always pretty close to my target.

There is more to life than constantly worrying about a number everyday and that ALSO can form eating disorders when you are constantly stressing about making sure you eat enough, but not too much. It can overwhelm some people especially when they are just starting out. I was just giving her an alternative way to look at her calorie intake.

But I enjoyed all your other advice. Just stating my opinion on something that I can relate to.
  • susie3g
    Options
    [/quote]

Frankly, if you're just going to haphazardly guesstimate at calorie content and portion sizes it doesn't really matter what your goal is because your logging will be so far off that you won't be getting a remotely accurate picture of your intake.

I don't want to sound insensitive or anything, but if you're going to log it needs to be somewhat accurate. Otherwise you're wasting your time logging in the first place.

If someone else can come by and restate this in a diplomatic way that helps prevent this from turning into a "mean people" thread I'd greatly appreciate it.
    [/quote]

I'm wasting my time here. Got it.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options

I just think some of you MFP posters need to realize that not everyone is the same. I am sure people have lost a lot of weight on here not weighing all their foods. I don't have evidence of that, but I would assume so. I try to weigh, but I dont weigh everything. I guesstimate on busy mornings when I have to throw my lunch together in 2 minutes.

I made my calorie goal 200 less than my TDEE-20% told me to. That way I have wiggle room. You will lose weight if you are making an effort to eat healthy and log your foods...eventually you might stall not weighing everything to the tee, but worry about that when you get closer to your goal.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Recommendations:

Hon, weighing your food won't take more than 5 minutes out of your day. If you want to succeed at fat loss, don't make excuses. If you're not measuring your food intake, who knows how many calories you're really eating? If you don't know that, why does it matter what MFP says?

The above list of advice will help you lose fat healthfully and meet your goals. If you have the time to interact on a forum, you've got the time to measure foods, or make healthful choices.
  • mschicagocubs
    Options
    For the record .. I have lost 8 lbs so far, but when I was on MFP in 2012, I lost 50 so I have had success.

:)