Do I have to eat over 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• amarisstorm
    amarisstorm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you're falling below 1200 calories frequently I would recommend that you have some kind of breakfast.

I understand not normally eating first thing in the morning. I never did before either. I had the same issue with my calories at first. Adding a light breakfast fixed it for me. Even something as simple as toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter, a yogurt, or a fruit smoothie can help without being overly filling, and it really helps get closer to hitting the protein goals too.

It makes more sense to add more calories early in the day than right before bed. Looking at your diary it looks like you could easily accommodate 200 calories for a breakfast.

Don't give up.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your feeling that people are not answering what you feel is your question but am going to repeat my comment from pages back where I pointed out that you are saving cals for later out of fear of not having enough then having too many left. Maybe as you say you'll read back and see that many people were trying to help ease your pain and I suspect ALL of us have been there so you are not talking to people who don't understand.

If nothing else, work out the pattern/cal count of your meals and use a few more cals up earlier in the day, it will stop it being so stressy and deprived which just makes you give up. Just for a week maybe? It can be one of the small changes you make.

Making small changes is a great way to do things but leaving the elephant in the room - for example a massive meal then being deprived before and after it - isn't going to make you happy.

Good luck, we DO know how it feels that's why we know to tough it out and it'll get better :o)
  • paperfiish
    paperfiish Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree with a couple of the other posters on here. OP, from what you've said and your diary, it sounds like you have a very unhealthy relationship with food. You're overwhelmed by the enormity of counting or weighing your intake, yet thought and planning for food consumes your day. You're nearly in tears because you can't find the correct calories, but changing your routine would add such stressors as to completely ruin the one part of your day you seem to enjoy (food). You're emotionally exhausted from talking about it and just want a simple answer (which sounds more like wanting affirmation more than anything), yet when offered the simple answer (yes you need to eat 1200) you keep making reasons why it's not something you can actually do. You're over-apologetic for "wasting" peoples time, yet are fixated on your way of doing things so much that suggestions to try otherwise are ignored or dismissed as too stressful. Basically you sound like you're wound as tight as a top and want someone to affirm that you're doing the right thing by possibly over-restricting, and anything else is too much stress to deal with.

To be honest, your posts don't feel like they're really about the actual food, they seem to be hinting at a larger problem underlying your eating that needs to be addressed. Maybe it's just normal job or kid stress that's gotten a little overboard, or maybe it's more.Honestly, I would definitely suggest you look into local sliding scale clinics. A talk therapist can more accurately help you identify what exactly you hope to accomplish with weight loss and food control, and help you identify healthy drives from unhealthy ones, and some clinics will lower rates down to $5 or even $0 per session depending on income and situation. Proper nutrition is highly important, and the effects of disordered eating can be devastating on both the mind and the body, and certainly don't do anything to actually help an already stressful situation, aside from giving an illusion of control. Make it a priority to take care of yourself, REAL care, that takes into account your mental and physical needs as a functioning body and mind, and think about the calories after that's been addressed.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    OK, comments on your diary:

1) Your protein goal is very low and you are consistently under. Protein goals should be treated as absolute minimums; your goal should be approximately 1.1 - 1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean body mass. That probably puts you somewhere around 110-140 grams of protein per day.

2) Your fat goal is also low. Science shows that people should be eating about 0.3 to 0.35 grams of fat per pound of body weight per day for optimal hormone and neurological function. That puts your fat goal around 56-65 grams of fat per day. This should also be treated as a minimum.

3) You pretty much never hit 1200 calories, let alone the 1420 that represents your actual goal.

4) Your diet includes few vegetables or fruits, and contains a lot of carb-heavy snacks like crackers and granola bars.

Recommendations:

1) Significantly increase your protein and fat intake. You have many days where you eat extremely low fat and low protein. This is counterproductive.

2) Try to limit the carb-heavy snacks and focus on eating more balanced meals.

3) You must eat more vegetables and fruits. Find some vegetables you enjoy and make a concerted effort to work them into 2 meals a day.

4) In general try to focus your meals around meat and vegetables.

5) Hit your calorie goal. Consider any day where you end more than 75 calories away from your goal, in either direction, as a mistake. Hunger is misleading and often nonexistent. If you're "not hungry" but have not yet met your nutrient and calorie goals for the day eat anyway.

6) Buy a food scale. You don't appear to be weighing food and, believe me, this is critical. There is simply no way to accurately estimate portion size and calorie intake without a food scale. A good digital one is only about $15.

Long story short: eat more calories, and try to limit the carb-heavy snacks. Focus on getting more meat and more vegetables at every meal. Hit your calorie goal consistently.

Thank you for your response. If I make this much more complicated than it already is for me, I'm afraid I will not have the strength to continue. I haven't been paying attention to the nutrient values too much. I just know that I've come a long way from my "everything fried" southern roots. Food just doesn't even taste the same anymore. I usually choose the granola bar because it's quick. I simply don't have time to measure using scales. We eat supper late enough as it is. I do tend to take the higher calorie counts in MFP as a safeguard against going over on my calories. If I hit 1200 daily, would that make a difference if I don't keep up with the nutrient values?

I personally don't see a problem with cereal/granola bars but you MUST be careful of the added sugar - many of these snacks are laden with sugar. Perhaps try alternatives like Nakd bars or a low fat protein bar.

Completely understand where you're coming from with not having the time to weigh everything, but if you have time to log, surely you have time to weigh? I use the MFP app when I cook so I weigh and log as I go, and it doesn't take much more time than normal. If you're really serious about losing weight you need to monitor your intake with as much accuracy as possible, or you run the risk of over/under eating.

Regarding your intake - it's hard to eat if your body is telling you it's not hungry, but meeting your calorie goals is vital for weight loss. Based on your age, height and weight your BMR is 1576kcal (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). You should not be eating less than this, and that's before any exercise is taken into account.

The hardest thing about losing weight is coming round to the idea that sometimes you need to eat more to lose more. Once you've come to terms with this your weight loss will be much more successful.

I wish you all the luck!! :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see a problem with cereal/granola bars but you MUST be careful of the added sugar - many of these snacks are laden with sugar. Perhaps try alternatives like Nakd bars or a low fat protein bar.

Completely understand where you're coming from with not having the time to weigh everything, but if you have time to log, surely you have time to weigh? I use the MFP app when I cook so I weigh and log as I go, and it doesn't take much more time than normal. If you're really serious about losing weight you need to monitor your intake with as much accuracy as possible, or you run the risk of over/under eating.

Regarding your intake - it's hard to eat if your body is telling you it's not hungry, but meeting your calorie goals is vital for weight loss. Based on your age, height and weight your BMR is 1576kcal (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). You should not be eating less than this, and that's before any exercise is taken into account.

The hardest thing about losing weight is coming round to the idea that sometimes you need to eat more to lose more. Once you've come to terms with this your weight loss will be much more successful.

Sugar is completely irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with sugar.

Please at least read the thread before offering advice.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    What the hell was the point of this if you refuse to make any changes and don't want to lose weight in a healthy way?
    This isn't the place for you if you aren't going to accept people's advice when you ask for it.

Well, I think the issue is that people aren't actually reading my original question and trying to offer advice that wasn't asked for. The original question, I thought, would be easily answered with a simple yes or no. Do I have to eat 1200 calories a day if I'm full? Yes or no. Simple you'd think. I wasn't asking about scales, other nutrients, or anything else. People have taken it upon themselves to instruct me in everything from A-Z.

You'd think it's simple, but there are many more things going on here. Although, honestly, I'd say that you should really be talking to a therapist. You clearly have a lot going on in your life that you're not handling well on your own, and this whole thing is adding stress to the breaking point.

It's not healthy to push yourself ragged to the point of being in tears every day. I'd say that's probably more detrimental to your overall health than being overweight. You clearly can't quite handle this process at the moment, so I suggest you get the rest of your life in order and get to a better place mentally before you try to tackle this.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Sugar is completely irrelevant. There's nothing wrong with sugar.

Please at least read the thread before offering advice.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with sugar. Processed sugar is not irrelevant if you're trying to lose fat. When I started I sought fitness and nutritional advice from an expert - they told me to limit the refined sugar to help with fat loss, and stick to sugars from natural, wholesome foods, such as fruit and veg. I followed the advice...I'm sure you can guess what I'm going to say.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with sugar. Processed sugar is not irrelevant if you're trying to lose fat. When I started I sought fitness and nutritional advice from an expert - they told me to limit the refined sugar to help with fat loss, and stick to sugars from natural, wholesome foods, such as fruit and veg. I followed the advice...I'm sure you can guess what I'm going to say.

And I eat plenty of sugar and still lose plenty of weight. So what?

You lose weight because of calorie deficit, not because you limit sugar. Sugar intake does not hinder fat loss in any way as long as you're in a calorie deficit, end of story.

And it's clear you haven't even read the thread here. OP has posted a ton of information that you have completely ignored, meaning you didn't bother to read it. Go back and read the thread and understand the OP's issues before you come here and tell her to cut out the sugar.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. If I make this much more complicated than it already is for me, I'm afraid I will not have the strength to continue. I haven't been paying attention to the nutrient values too much. I just know that I've come a long way from my "everything fried" southern roots. Food just doesn't even taste the same anymore. I usually choose the granola bar because it's quick. I simply don't have time to measure using scales. We eat supper late enough as it is. I do tend to take the higher calorie counts in MFP as a safeguard against going over on my calories. If I hit 1200 daily, would that make a difference if I don't keep up with the nutrient values?

Frankly, if you're just going to haphazardly guesstimate at calorie content and portion sizes it doesn't really matter what your goal is because your logging will be so far off that you won't be getting a remotely accurate picture of your intake.

I don't want to sound insensitive or anything, but if you're going to log it needs to be somewhat accurate. Otherwise you're wasting your time logging in the first place.

If someone else can come by and restate this in a diplomatic way that helps prevent this from turning into a "mean people" thread I'd greatly appreciate it.

I agree with Jon, if your just going guesestimate, why bother counting.

It might be fine for awhile but eventually you will hit a wall, so why not start weighing now?

Well I guess I shouldn't have bothered then because I don't even own a food scale.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Frankly, if you're just going to haphazardly guesstimate at calorie content and portion sizes it doesn't really matter what your goal is because your logging will be so far off that you won't be getting a remotely accurate picture of your intake.

I don't want to sound insensitive or anything, but if you're going to log it needs to be somewhat accurate. Otherwise you're wasting your time logging in the first place.

If someone else can come by and restate this in a diplomatic way that helps prevent this from turning into a "mean people" thread I'd greatly appreciate it.

It might be fine for awhile but eventually you will hit a wall, so why not start weighing now?

Well I guess I shouldn't have bothered then because I don't even own a food scale.

Your diary is closed, so it's tough to say how your approach compares to the OPs.
  • KnM0107
    Options

Your diary is closed, so it's tough to say how your approach compares to the OPs.

Not comparing it to the op, just tired of the "you must weigh everything or why bother" crap...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Not comparing it to the op, just tired of the "you must weigh everything or why bother" crap...

No one said that. We are talking to the OP about the OP's specific situation, where she is ostensibly calorie counting but is using incredibly random and inaccurate logging practices.

The point is that weighing food is not strictly necessary depending on your method, but if you're trying to do it the way the OP is doing it, then it's really critical to log at least somewhat accurately. OP is not, however.

OP is already extremely overwhelmed, let's try to keep the offtopic stuff to a minimum for her benefit.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • linluvsbirda1
    linluvsbirda1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's not mean at all. I think I might have to friend you so you can look at mine...lol
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

You've lost 130 lbs. The OP has lost 11 and is displaying borderline disordered eating behaviors b/c she's so afraid of going over her calorie goal. She sounds like she has some pretty severe anxiety when it comes to food and her weight and is at a point where she's considering JSF. The OP would benefit greatly from some consistency and accuracy so that she can see the cause and effect rather than just guessing and getting discouraged if she's wrong.

She's already lowered her calorie goal from the 1400s to 1200 and now is asking if it's okay to eat below that. Lets say OP is off by 400 calories everyday and is actually eating between 1400 and 1600 and she's not losing. She thinks she's not losing at 1000-1200 calories/day so she lowers her goal to 800 calories and starts losing weight b/c now she's actually eating 1200-1400 calories. But she doesn't know that so when her friends and family ask "you look great! How are you doing it?" She says "I'm eating 800-1000 calories/day!" Now one of those people might start counting cals and maybe they go out and get a food scale and ACTUALLY start eating 800-1000 calories/day. Or maybe she'll come in here offering advice to the masses.

Congrats on your weight loss w/out a food scale. Just please don't go telling people how many calories you ate or averaged b/c you don't have a clue.
  • KnM0107
    Options

No one said that. We are talking to the OP about the OP's specific situation, where she is ostensibly calorie counting but is using incredibly random and inaccurate logging practices.
    The point is that weighing food is not strictly necessary depending on your method, but if you're trying to do it the way the OP is doing it, then it's really critical to log at least somewhat accurately. OP is not, however.

OP is already extremely overwhelmed, let's try to keep the offtopic stuff to a minimum for her benefit.

Lets just say I will post where and what I want to because I can. If I was off topic I wasn't the only one. Talk to the others, maybe they will take you seriously.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Lets just say I will post where and what I want to because I can. If I was off topic I wasn't the only one. Talk to the others, maybe they will take you seriously.

Well thank you for posting, I'm sure the OP will find this productive.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    we're in pretty much the same boat. same height, almost the same weight, and i average in about 900 cal a day. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack a day >.< yesterday i made sure i got up to 1,000 cal (a little over) and felt so sick and over fed.
    I'm no expert by any means, i havent been doing this that long and im still learning a lot. but my body tells me what i need, and when a doctor has tried to control my diet every thing went terribly wrong. im still in the process of speeding up my metabolism, one day i'll eat more. today is not that day.

Here is what im doing for it:
    waking up earlier (this helps with eating breakfast sooner and working out earlier)
    drinking more water
    Drinking natural teas (green tea, helps me get nutrients i may not be getting from food)
    Taking vitamins (to fill in some gaps)

I know someone here is going to disagree with me, but as i said, my body tells me what i need.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    ^Like that gem right there. If I ate what my body told me I need, I'd still be 200+.:noway: Oh, and reported.