Can cauliflower NOT be boring??

Options
I have a head of cauliflower in the fridge and I want to do something flavorful but still low-cal with it. I see a lot of mac & cheese recipes using cauliflower but does anyone have any other ideas of how to use it creatively in a recipe?

I do have an 8 year old son so if it is semi kid friendly that's a bonus! :-D

Replies

• CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Look for cauliflower pizza crust... A lot of people here seem to like it?!
  • jen3761
    jen3761 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, cauliflower pizza is amazing!! SO GOOD! Even the hubby liked it! ;)
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of cauliflower buffalo wings.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I make alfredo sauce with cauliflower and it's great. I follow this recipe:
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/02/creamy-cauliflower-spaghetti-alfredo.html
    But there are tons out there. Cauliflower gratin, pizza crust, and soups are all really great go-to's as well. The pizza or alfredo sauce might be good for your son. Just don't tell him it's in there! Hide it! :wink:
  • psychicmedium26
    Options
    I had a head the other day and did the following. I preheated the oven to 400 and sprayed a cookie sheet with pam. I cut the head into bite sized florets. I sprinkled with a little lemon juice and threw a bunch of wet minced garlic in there (You can use fresh or dried Im sure). I then drizzled it with olive oil lightly. Then sprinkled with salt and pepper. Roasted about 20 minutes they were SO good and crispy.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Boring? Cauliflower?

You can magically substitute it for ANY other white food.

Potatoes, bread, chicken... probably milk of you puree it.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a head of cauliflower in the fridge and I want to do something flavorful but still low-cal with it. I see a lot of mac & cheese recipes using cauliflower but does anyone have any other ideas of how to use it creatively in a recipe?

I do have an 8 year old son so if it is semi kid friendly that's a bonus! :-D

I have the perfect thing for you. My three year old eats them too. Get ready for it....Cauliflower tots! Like tater tots, only cauliflower instead. We make these from SkinnyTaste all the time as a side to our sliders.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cauliflower-tots.html
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    oh... I thought you were being sarcastic :/
    google this:
    cauliflower pizza
    cauliflower brownies
    cauliflower muffins
    cauliflower cupcakes
    cauliflower stir fry
    :)
  • kyleprowland
    kyleprowland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I roast it. Chop it up, put olive/coconut oil on it, mix it with chopped carrots and maybe some onions, sprinkle with seasoned salt, and throw in the oven at 350-375 for 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much you have. OMG I can eat that all day long.
  • charlicee
    Options
    Mash it as a low carb replacement of mashed potatoes. Dice it and put it in pasta primavera. Grill it. :)
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    i love love love cauiflour

here's a good one (recipe that is) :flowerforyou:

Spicy Whole Roasted Cauliflower (from purewow.com)

1tb vegetable oil
    1 head cauliflower
    1.5c plain Greek yogurt
    1 lime, zested and juiced
    2tbs chili powder
    1tb cumin
    1tb garlic powder
    1tsp curry powder
    2tsp kosher salt
    1tsp black pepper

Directions
    1. Pre-heat oven to 400* and lightly grease small baking sheet w/vegetable oil. Set aside
    2. Trim base of cauliflower. Remove green leaves and woody stem.
    3. In a medium bowl, combine the yogurt with the lime zest and juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, curry powder, salt and pepper.
    4. Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface. (Excess marinade can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three days and used with meat, fish or other veggies.)
    5. Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30-40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.
    6. Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a big green salad.

You can also find recipes for Un-potato salad on Pinterest .. and you can use it to make a low carb pizza crust too :happy: enjoy!
  • RedneckChicana
    Options
    I use cauliflower in place of any potato dish. Mashed, baked etc. Hell I put sour cream, green onions and cheese on some the other day (sour cream and chive baked potato) I was seriously missing the bacon bits here. I have also prepared it with chili and cheese. And then while flippin thru a magazine in the waiting room I found this...

http://www.womansday.com/recipefinder/fettuccine-alfredo-recipe-wdy0214
    My prayers for a healthy way to eat my cream sauces!!

Because it has little to no taste and the texture can be manipulated in so many ways it is a totally versatile food. Use in place of high carb foods like potatoes or creamy things.
  • lindeyrae1028
    Options
    Oh my! Now I'm hungry!! ROFL!

Love the idea of the buffalo... I'm a huge buffalo wing fan! And putting it in alfredo sauce or pizza crust... BRILLIANT! :-D
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I love it raw, chopped up in salads.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I steam it; and mix it with an immersion blender and add a splash of broth; sprinkle with salt/pepper- it's kind of like mashed potatoes.
  • lindeyrae1028
    Options
    oh... I thought you were being sarcastic :/
    google this:
    cauliflower pizza
    cauliflower brownies
    cauliflower muffins
    cauliflower cupcakes
    cauliflower stir fry
    :)

HAHA! Nope :-) It has always seemed boring to me... maybe because I've never cooked with it!
  • GrindingSalt
    GrindingSalt Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I second the roasted cauliflower. I cook mine in a hot oven, 400-450, then toss with lemon zest and chopped, toasted almonds when it comes out. Seriously, this is one of my favorite foods.
  • psychicmedium26
    Options
    I love it raw, chopped up in salads.

Yum sounds like something to try. We often shred a head of broc in salads but I have oddly never experimented with cauliflower.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    At White spot they have a tandoori salad. It's a vegetarian option. There is cauliflower with tandoori spices on it. It has red Quinoa, lots of yummy greens and veggies, grapes give a nice sweetness, and salad dressing.

I think they have another tandoori vegetarian option with cauliflower. But, I only liked the salad.

These were not low calorie or high protein options. They were vegetarian, but they had a good enough amount of protein from the red Quinoa.