Can cauliflower NOT be boring??

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I have made this several times:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/baked-italian-style-cauliflower-50400000116797/

And it is AMAZING! And only about 300 calories per serving (give or take depending on what you use).
  • ehensarling17
    ehensarling17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower is the best!! I'm roasting some as I type this post! :) I just toss the following in a bowl and then roast in the oven to desired done-ness:

1 head of chopped cauliflower
    1/2 TBS of olive oil
    3 teaspoons of grated Parmesan cheese
    Seasoning (usually fresh salt and pepper but tonight, instead of salt, I'm using Mrs Dash)

It comes in around 240-250 calories! :)
  • psychicmedium26
    Options
    I had a head the other day and did the following. I preheated the oven to 400 and sprayed a cookie sheet with pam. I cut the head into bite sized florets. I sprinkled with a little lemon juice and threw a bunch of wet minced garlic in there (You can use fresh or dried Im sure). I then drizzled it with olive oil lightly. Then sprinkled with salt and pepper. Roasted about 20 minutes they were SO good and crispy.

I forgot the hubby sprinkled some grated parm on his you may try that as well as you remove them from the oven.
  • cuspofqueens
    Options
    Do a cauliflower mash! Steam it until it's really really dead, then mash half and whip the other half. Add in garlic, vegetable (or chicken) broth, salt, pepper, cheese if you're into it...

If you add in enough garlic/broth (I use the base so I can double the flavor without all the liquid, and yes, at that point I'll omit the salt)/seasonings, you won't need a gravy (my sister hates gravy, so if I want everyone to eat, this is how I usually make it). If you DO go for a gravy, may I suggest a mushroom one? It's totally double the veg!

It wouldn't be unusual for me to eat this by itself (drowning in gravy if it's just for me!) in a bowl with some other steamed veggies, but if you wanted to get fancy, you could serve this over a pot pie filling, baked/broiled for a little bit until the cauliflower gets that brown/crispy look to it.
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like mine steamed slightly, then while that's going put a small amount of oil in a pan with some curry or grand masala, some onion, cilantro, cashews or other nut optional, and then finish it off with the juice of a lime. It's delicious.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    roasted is good - my niece did hers tossed with olive oil, spices of your choice and some parmesan cheese (it was yummy)

I just like it steamed but it's also good in salads or how about a stirfry?
  • RachelBec
    RachelBec Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thai Cauliflower Shrimp Soup :flowerforyou:

I uploaded my recipe to MFP, if you're inclined to make it & would like detailed instructions please do not hesitate to send me a message!
  • scuba8781
    scuba8781 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is delicious - http://deadspin.com/how-to-make-mashed-cauliflower-because-it-goddamn-tast-1443732709 - but not healthy in the slightest.

My go-to is olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika, roasted at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. As others have said, this method is great for doing pretty much any vegetable.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    i made "mashed potatoes" last night with mine. boiled it, added spices a bit of olive oil stuck it in the food processor until smooth...omg its so yummy.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    All You magazine has a great recipe for cauliflower cheddar soup. I use about half of the cheese they call for. It is a favorite treat for my mine year old son. We also eat it instead of rice, with curry.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I put it in a curry and soup and I also blitz it to make something resembling fried rice.
    You can roast it in the oven too which I have not done but I hear is great.
    As for the pizza... :noway:
  • ivypompom
    ivypompom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Google a recipe where you bake it with like 20 cloves of garlic... it is really good easy and not fattening.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Boring? Cauliflower?

You can magically substitute it for ANY other white food.

Potatoes, bread, chicken... probably milk of you puree it.

Indeed. It's so mild in flavor that it would be awesome as your traditional "starch" of your meal.

Even if you dry roast it without any fat, it tastes nutty and delicious.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Boring? Cauliflower?

Lies, scallops, sea bass, mornay, vanilla ice cream, marshmallows etc etc

Also make a hot dog out of it
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ahhh yes cauliflower that magical food that can replace all other foods …Does anyone every just use cauliflower the way it was meant to be used?

here is my advice just eat the foods you like and stop trying to find substitute for everything….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Boring? Cauliflower?

Lies, scallops, sea bass, mornay, vanilla ice cream, marshmallows etc etc

Also make a hot dog out of it

ever had salmon cauliflower???
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    roast it with curry mmmm
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This recipe is delish if you like bleu cheese and it doesn't take much to give it great flavor.

www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cauliflower_blue_cheese_dressing.html

In a rush, I just toss sautéed cauliflower with crumbled bleu cheese, cracked pepper and some sliced scallions! Also tasty tossed with whole wheat pasta.

Google cauliflower steaks, delicious on their own but even better topped with anything from sautéed greens, olive and tomato salsa or mushroom ragu.
  • Mhgretsch
    Mhgretsch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I make alfredo sauce with cauliflower and it's great. I follow this recipe:
    http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2009/02/creamy-cauliflower-spaghetti-alfredo.html
    But there are tons out there. Cauliflower gratin, pizza crust, and soups are all really great go-to's as well. The pizza or alfredo sauce might be good for your son. Just don't tell him it's in there! Hide it! :wink:

I highly recommend this one...tastes great, and even my 12 year old will eat it:)