5:2 'diet' for maintaining?

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would love to know how it is ok that this topic is discussed (500 calories for 2 days a week) but posts on eating less than 1000 calories a day are deleted!!??!?!!?
    Because over the course of a week you are eating a completely normal number of calories!
    Someone following 5:2 for weight loss in the recommended way would only have a weekely deficit of approximately 3,000 calories, less than a pound a week weight loss.

There is nothing harmful about restricting calories for a day at a time.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options
    Would love to know how it is ok that this topic is discussed (500 calories for 2 days a week) but posts on eating less than 1000 calories a day are deleted!!??!?!!?
    Because over the course of a week you are eating a completely normal number of calories!
    Someone following 5:2 for weight loss in the recommended way would only have a weekely deficit of approximately 3,000 calories, less than a pound a week weight loss.

BS.

Someone on the 5;2 diet could be doing (2x500)+(5x1,200) = 7,000
    I had a post that said I eat up to 1,000 calories a day - 1,000x7 = 7,000

Guess what - same amount of calories over a week!!
  • sijomial
    Options

BS.

You have the numbers wrong - suggest you get your facts straight before calling BS.

A woman on the average TDEE of 2000 per day would be eating at maintenance on the five days and not 1200.
    5:2 is two days restricting and five days eating normally.

2000 x 5 + 500 x 2 = 11000

Now do you understand?
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

BS.

Double BS.

Eating 1200 cals is eating at a deficit. And you want to add a two day fast as an extra deficit on top of that. 5:2 is meant to be calculated from a 'normal' number of cals per day (ie not restricted). The only calorie restriction comes into play on the two fast days because you're only eating 500 of the 'normal' number of cals alotted to you.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options
    1,200 can be considered eating normally! I know loads of people on this diet eating 1,200 on their 5 other days.

Just seems double standards that someone can be on this diet and can eat the exact same number of calories over the course of a week as I do yet it is my posts that get deleted.
  • sijomial
    Options
    1,200 can be considered eating normally! I know loads of people on this diet eating 1,200 on their 5 other days.

Just seems double standards that someone can be on this diet and can eat the exact same number of calories over the course of a week as I do yet it is my posts that get deleted.
    Oh come on!
    People hit their thumbs with hammers but that doesn't make it a bad tool.
    People mis-use the MFP method, people mis-use the TDEE method, some people do 5:2 wrong....

Dumb people are dumb at the end of the day.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options

1200 isn't 'normal' for anyone. I'm 154cm and 98lb and 1800 calories is normal even for someone much smaller than 'average'.
  • Samby_v1
    Options

Oh come on!
    People mis-use the MFP method, people mis-use the TDEE method, some people do 5:2 wrong....

I'm so glad you've got friends that support your claims. Perhaps you want to talk to them, as you're not going to get the approval you want here, no matter how much you spam the message boards.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    It's just a way to control your calorie consumption. If you want to try it, then try it out for a few weeks. See if it works for you. If it does, great, if it doesn't then try something else.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options

Oh come on!

I'm so glad you've got friends that support your claims. Perhaps you want to talk to them, as you're not going to get the approval you want here, no matter how much you spam the message boards.

Not looking for support haha. I have already asked for my account to be deleted due to the pathetic rules that I can't discuss my own diet. Just thought I would highlight the double standards of the whole thing.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

You are ill-informed and should, perhaps, do some research on the subject before calling BS.

I follow the 5:2 principal, belong to IF & 5:2 groups and have many 5:2 friends. I have barely come across anyone that restricts to 1,200 on 'normal' days. There will always be exceptions who take it to the extreme but they don't last long.

I actually do 4:3 (ie. 3 low days) and I eat more calories than I would following 7 days at 1,200.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options

You are ill-informed and should, perhaps, do some research on the subject before calling BS.

I follow the 5:2 principal, belong to IF & 5:2 groups and have many 5:2 friends. I have barely come across anyone that restricts to 1,200 on 'normal' days. There will always be exceptions who take it to the extreme but they don't last long.

I actually do 4:3 (ie. 3 low days) and I eat more calories than I would following 7 days at 1,200.

You just countered your own point by saying there are exceptions and that "barely anyone" restricts to 1,200. Suggesting you agree that some do. Those are the people I am talking about.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I'm loving the responses.

I've lost close to a 100lbs using IF as my deficit tool, and without calorie counting. I should hit maintainence by late March/early April, and am planning on using 5:2 for maintenance. The amount of calories I'll be able to consume on a 5:2 way of life (those are 2 real fasting days, not low calorie days) on my eating days are almost obscene, even with my relatively low goal weight for a man. If I continue to lose too much weight I'll probably slip in more 6:1 weeks.

The mfp app does, but it's sort of hidden away. My app isn't in english so this might not be correct words. On the sidebar go to 'nutrition' and from there you can see daily nutrition and weekly nutrition in different charts.
  • Samby_v1
    Options

Oh come on!

Not looking for support haha. I have already asked for my account to be deleted due to the pathetic rules that I can't discuss my own diet. Just thought I would highlight the double standards of the whole thing.

Why are you posting the same questions on so many different threads? Find me a MFP member who's averaging 1000 cals per day on 5:2 and I will show you a double standard. Also, you're on the maintenance forums - people here don't want to lose weight.
  • craignev
    Options

You just countered your own point by saying there are exceptions and that "barely anyone" restricts to 1,200. Suggesting you agree that some do. Those are the people I am talking about.
    But as said earlier....'Dumb people are dumb at the end of the day' ......whatever diet they follow.

I'm just saying that you can't say that the fasting principle is wrong, it's just a different method of calorie restriction.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options

But as said earlier....'Dumb people are dumb at the end of the day' ......whatever diet they follow.

I'm just saying that you can't say that the fasting principle is wrong, it's just a different method of calorie restriction.

No no no no I have not said it is wrong at all. I see no problem with it whatsoever. BUT it is exacting exactly the same number of calories (for some people) as I do over the course of a week. Yet when posed as the 5:2 diet it is fine. When posed as 1,000 calories a day it is not. Double standards.
  • craignev
    Options

No no no no I have not said it is wrong at all. I see no problem with it whatsoever. BUT it is exacting exactly the same number of calories (for some people) as I do over the course of a week. Yet when posed as the 5:2 diet it is fine. When posed as 1,000 calories a day it is not. Double standards.
    Show me the posts from 'loads of people' that are eating less than 1,200 on their normal days.
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't do IF but do vary my calorie intake over the week to allow for special occasions. I keep an eye on my total weekly calories through MFP. I open the nutrition panel and set it to weekly and see how much I've had for the week and how much I have left. If 'Im planning ahead for something I then subtract what I plan to eat on the regular days not yet logged to see what I will have left for the event. You could use a similar approach doing IF.
  • xCarpeDiemx24
    Options

Show me the posts from 'loads of people' that are eating less than 1,200 on their normal days.

I didn't say it was anyone posting on here.... but you yourself acknowledged that there are people who do. Oh and I didn't say less than 1,200. I said 1,200.
  • Samby_v1
    Options

I didn't say it was anyone posting on here.... but you yourself acknowledged that there are people who do. Oh and I didn't say less than 1,200. I said 1,200.

So you're saying no one posting on here does.... What are these 'double standards' you seem so keen to impress on us in so many threads?