Is a Low-Carb Diet for You? Most Likely Not.

Options

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Props to anyone that can lose weight on a low carb diet.

I for one cannot. I love carbs.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    But I do know that I would be a cranky beast from hell if I ever had to be on one.[/quote]

LOL! That describes me exactly.
  • lugiagirl249
    lugiagirl249 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    *shrug*

My fiance does LCHF and has lost 75lbs so far. I was interested so the place to go was r/keto. The subreddit is very helpful and has great information on Keto and the users are willing to help you out too if you're interested.

My two cents

-lg
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    Can you tell me why there are requirements by the body to have fat and protein but we can live well with absolutely no carbs? I suggest you get informed. As for needing carbs for exercise, that has been proven to be false. The body converts fat and protein to glucose just fine. Think of eskimos - protein and fat and no carbs and they are healthy. We eat a lot of carbs and this nation is getting fatter and fatter.
    You really want your body to break down muscle tissue to convert to glucose for energy? Not me
    The body breaks down protein and fat no matter what deficit macro breakdown you choose. The way to reduce this is resistance training and sufficient dietary protein. Carbs are quick energy and some have a hard time functioning without them but that has nothing to do with what your body breaks down when cutting.

Personally I eat 50-150g of carbs a day unless it is a cheat day. Shrug*

Edit because I forgot to quote.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me why there are requirements by the body to have fat and protein but we can live well with absolutely no carbs? I suggest you get informed. As for needing carbs for exercise, that has been proven to be false. The body converts fat and protein to glucose just fine. Think of eskimos - protein and fat and no carbs and they are healthy. We eat a lot of carbs and this nation is getting fatter and fatter.
    You really want your body to break down muscle tissue to convert to glucose for energy? Not me

Nor do most people following low carb diets. Given that's not what happens to people on a standard low carb diet though, I'm not really sure what your point is.

Please supply links to studies that show this not happening.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Nor do most people following low carb diets. Given that's not what happens to people on a standard low carb diet though, I'm not really sure what your point is.

Oh please. If you have no studies suggesting it DOES happen, don't start demanding citations that it doesn't happen. This is akin to me conclusively stating that raspberry ketones are the secret to weight loss and when you suggest otherwise, I demand studies proving raspberry ketones do not lead to weight loss. If we're going to play that game, please supply links to studies that show people getting adequate protein and calories, in a state of ketosis where ketones take the place of glucose for many brain cells (and thus your body's glucose requirements are lower), and yet their body decides to catabolize their muscle tissue into glucose anyways (for S&G I suppose?).

If you've looked into this subject at all, you'd realize that the primary factors that contribute to lean body mass retention are a) protein intake, b) resistance training and c) not going "too aggressive" with your caloric deficit, where "too aggressive" is probably a lot more of a deficit than most people think (one study suggests it's around 31 kcal/lb of fat per day). What's not on that list? A high carb intake. For that matter, if what you're suggesting is true (which it's not), then a protein-sparing modified fast wouldn't be sparing whatsoever because it lacks a high carb intake - and yet these VLCD's are used by doctors for rapid weight loss in obese patients where the body largely does not break down lean tissue for energy.

Perhaps if we were discussing a no carb diet you might see this taking place (even then it's suspect if your protein intake is adequate), but with regard to a standard low carb diet with adequate protein, you're just repeating an old myth. All that said, if you want to spend the next many hours reading studies, there's a review of studies with plenty of citations here http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9#B5.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Think of eskimos - protein and fat and no carbs and they are healthy.

What?!?! Are you kidding??

ETA: Please furnish evidence that Eskimos are healthier than anyone else. Because... No.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yep...no clue on the science of carbs, I eat carbs every day...lost weight. It's all about moderation, not starving!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If my carbs drop too low, regardless of quantities of fat and protein, I experience terrible mood swings and general feelings of fatigue and weakness, and my workouts, specifically cardio, suffer for it. Not for me, but if others can function well on it, fair enough.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I'm considered low carb and I eat 200g's a day. Low carb isn't some static number, it's a consumption that would be considered lower than the RDA for study purposes which would include many variances of consumption.
  • zivasak
    Options
    I have researched thoroughly on nutrition and macro nutrients and I am confident with my low carb lifestyle. Yes, you might feel your energy levels are low but it is only the first 3 weeks when your body is adapting to using fat as the main source of energy. Having said that, I would not create a topic on one blog post/ article to reject other diets. People are different and lifestyles are different. I am not an athlete, I don't need a big plate of pasta. My liver and muscles store enough glycogen, fat is an easier source of energy for my body as it is easier to convert than carbs and my insulin as well as other hormones are regulated.

People just don't sweat the small stuff, do what you feel is right for you and know why (i.e..research) why you are doing it. Listen to your main source: your body! Feeling great? Tons of energy? Greater skin? Losing weight?

Respect your fitness pal's journey and focus on your goals. It is a process. We are learning every day.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

Oh please. If you have no studies suggesting it DOES happen, don't start demanding citations that it doesn't happen. This is akin to me conclusively stating that raspberry ketones are the secret to weight loss and when you suggest otherwise, I demand studies proving raspberry ketones do not lead to weight loss. If we're going to play that game, please supply links to studies that show people getting adequate protein and calories, in a state of ketosis where ketones take the place of glucose for many brain cells (and thus your body's glucose requirements are lower), and yet their body decides to catabolize their muscle tissue into glucose anyways (for S&G I suppose?).

If you've looked into this subject at all, you'd realize that the primary factors that contribute to lean body mass retention are a) protein intake, b) resistance training and c) not going "too aggressive" with your caloric deficit, where "too aggressive" is probably a lot more of a deficit than most people think (one study suggests it's around 31 kcal/lb of fat per day). What's not on that list? A high carb intake. For that matter, if what you're suggesting is true (which it's not), then a protein-sparing modified fast wouldn't be sparing whatsoever because it lacks a high carb intake - and yet these VLCD's are used by doctors for rapid weight loss in obese patients where the body largely does not break down lean tissue for energy.

Perhaps if we were discussing a no carb diet you might see this taking place (even then it's suspect if your protein intake is adequate), but with regard to a standard low carb diet with adequate protein, you're just repeating an old myth. All that said, if you want to spend the next many hours reading studies, there's a review of studies with plenty of citations here http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/9#B5.
    Good come back to a pretty biased OP.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Perhaps I missed something? The list of citations in the blog post was reasonably thorough, though I'll grant that the internal citations could use some work. Pardon my lack of facility with these types of journals so my example could be off base. That said, for example:

"The major novel findings from the present study were that 1) the skeletal muscle net protein balance was lower during exercise in the L-CHO trial compared with the H-CHO trial, owing to an increase in protein degradation and a decrease in protein synthesis late in exercise;" from: "Effect of glycogen availability on human skeletal muscle protein turnover during exercise and recovery" as cited in the list of references in the blog post.

It seems as though studies to refute those findings or a discussion of the results is an acceptable request.

Also, slow your roll.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Calm down! That was a legitimate request not one to be a jerk. Through the article I posted, it references several studies which are all referenced at the bottom.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in…because, I think this is going to be good….
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ummm maybe you need them for energy …

and people do not get fat from eating carbs…they get fat from overeating..wait for it..any second now…FOOD
  • IronPlayground
    Options
    I have researched thoroughly on nutrition and macro nutrients and I am confident with my low carb lifestyle. Yes, you might feel your energy levels are low but it is only the first 3 weeks when your body is adapting to using fat as the main source of energy. Having said that, I would not create a topic on one blog post/ article to reject other diets. People are different and lifestyles are different. I am not an athlete, I don't need a big plate of pasta. My liver and muscles store enough glycogen, fat is an easier source of energy for my body as it is easier to convert than carbs and my insulin as well as other hormones are regulated.

People just don't sweat the small stuff, do what you feel is right for you and know why (i.e..research) why you are doing it. Listen to your main source: your body! Feeling great? Tons of energy? Greater skin? Losing weight?

Respect your fitness pal's journey and focus on your goals. It is a process. We are learning every day.

Obviously, you failed to read most of my replies where I stated that each person is different in there preference to a particular eating plan. The point of this post is to get folks to research before jumping on the bandwagon because their cousin said it was fantastic.

Good for you for finding something you can adhere to long term. Again, goals and activity level also determine the level of carbs some folks need.
  • IronPlayground
    Options

Good come back to a pretty biased OP.

Actually it wasn't.

What we have here is confusion on what one person would consider low- carb compared to another. Much like asking 10 people to define clean eating. You'll get 10 different answers.

However, your body will convert muscle to energy at some point. The greater the carb reduction the greater this conversion will be. All the energy required isn't going to come from fat.
  • zivasak
    Options

Obviously, you failed to read most of my replies where I stated that each person is different in there preference to a particular eating plan. The point of this post is to get folks to research before jumping on the bandwagon because their cousin said it was fantastic.

Good for you for finding something you can adhere to long term. Again, goals and activity level also determine the level of carbs some folks need.

No worries, I got that part but I was responding to this statement:
    But, for the majority of people, carbs are needed for hormonal balance
  • IronPlayground
    Options

No worries, I got that part but I was responding to this statement:
    But, for the majority of people, carbs are needed for hormonal balance

That's fine, too. And if you've had you're health markers checked with no problems, great! That's not going to be the case for the majority of people. In every case, you will find outliers.

The fact that you stated you are not an athlete means that your goals are different. I have no idea what your activity levels are, but you seem to have things where you like them.