Options

Replies

• YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Joking right?

Not being able to eat 1200?
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    My eyes are bleeding from the overwhelming amount of BS in this thread.

That is very judgmental. Your not playing nice in the sand box.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    eat real food. Don't stick to the low cal / no cal / "diet" versions. Especially if you aren't eating enough to start with.
  • tegalicious
    Options

It gets very old hearing this "I can't eat 1200 calories, it's too much food" line almost every day. It may not be the most helpful advice but seriously. It isn't THAT hard to eat at least 1200 calories. Especially when you have a food scale and realize just how little healthy food constitutes 1200 calories.

Edited typo... My phone likes to change food to good....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    threads like this always baffle my mind...

How did you end up obese if you cannot consume more than 1200 calories a day? I assume in your over-eating days that you were eating 2000+ a day, which is how you put on the weight, yes?

My suggestion, add a servicing of ice cream to your daily intake, which will give you an additional 230 calories a day...
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty much bare minimum (and usually means you told MFP to do a pretty massive weight loss goal per week, like 3 pounds), so eating under 1200 isn't a good idea.

I've got mine set to 1.5 and it gave me 1,200 (and said I'd only be losing 1.3 a week)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

how is it judgmental to point out the obvious, which is how can someone go from consuming 2000+ calories a day, but then when they start trying to lose, that same person cannot eat 1200 a day? Makes no sense...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How is it that this board is packed with so many of us who are/were very overweight to obese, but suddenly, when calorie counting, there is an endless amount of people who now can't get enough calories in?

I know. *facepalm*
  • jimmason20
    jimmason20 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much/intense your workout is this low calorie ammount will really start to hinder your weight lose. Try to add more calories to your breakfast by way of good carbs and protein. This will give you more energy throughout the day and more time to burn any added fat. I did the same thing you are in the begining and it slowed my lose alot. i was doing Insanity and eating 1800 calories a day. Nowhere near enough.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy the foods you got big on, in moderation. I Wish I had the trouble of not eating enough... I work out hard and a thoroughly enjoy eating those calories back! and I certainly NEVER aim for 1200. Get some protein powder, (it will help anyway as you need protein to keep lean muscle when you work out on a deficit). 1 scoop, some milk.. calories done.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Just an extra thing to consider, I myself am also 5'1" and I did start out on 1200 calories but my metabolism sped up a little bit because of my exercising (which yours may do as well). I am now able to eat around 1500 give or take some days (I also eat back about 50% of my exercise calories). I am still losing while I eat this much, but of course everyone is different and you should do what works for you (given that it is healthy). Remember its okay to eat foods that have a higher calorie count if that food also has lots of nutrients. Btw, I'll send you a friend request so you'll have one more MFP buddy. Also, one last thing, the only motivation you need is a want to get healthier. Do it for you and nobody else.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

Oh, that is so cute. You think I am one of those people who pretends not to be judgmental for some weird PR reason or in hopes that someone might just like me.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the question, don't respond to the post. Simple :)

But as much as they sound rude...they are right. You should be able to eat 1200, easily. But when I first started out I was afraid to eat thinking that any amount of fat, sodium, etc would instantly ruin my diet. It is more psychological than anything.

Drink some chocolate milk :)
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options

how is it judgmental to point out the obvious, which is how can someone go from consuming 2000+ calories a day, but then when they start trying to lose, that same person cannot eat 1200 a day? Makes no sense...

Oh, no, she is right. I am being judgmental. I have no qualms about being judgmental, especially towards people who insult my intelligence by expecting me to believe....yeah, you get it.

spoiler alert: I am also a bit sexist as well but hey, you will never have to take out the trash, change your oil or open a door when you are around me. Guess there is always trade-offs.
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    I am a very intelligent person and came here looking for help and encouragement... not dis belief and false judgements.
    It can be hard and challenging when it comes to weight loss- especially for women. I think at this point I am cautious to eat more food than what I was used to eating when i was on a fad diet or juice cleanse. The consistent exercise is new to me too and trying to compensate for those extra calories as well can be over whelming. When your told to cut back, diet and restrict- then told to eat much more than your use to is a totally different mind set. The other thing is time. I work very hard as a nurse and eating during work is a luxury. I don't think its smart to cram all 1400 calories in right before bedtime. I have been on a personal journey to wellness and trying to iron things out. Thanks for all your helpful thoughts???!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So...a food scale (so you actually know what you are really eating), some peanut butter, maybe add some cheese to those meals (a 1" cube is not going to fill you up, and is 68cals for Cheddar...3times a day = 204cals, 12grams of pro, 0.5carbs, 18g fat), and before long you are hitting your goal.
    Hey, remember non-diet sodas? Tons of cals there, and easy to get and consume.
    Or maybe some 100% fruit juice...113 cals in a cup of unsweetened apple juice. 111cals in OJ.
    Or a beer (210cals in a pint of Guinness)
    Or maybe just eat a cupcake with frosting.

As long as you keep the cals below the amount you burn...weight comes off.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Damn, I wish I had your problem.

Do you like peanut butter, peanuts, almonds, stuff like that? Cheese? That stuff will jack your calories up instantly.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This may not help in the calorie dept but I eat special K protein cereal (it has a sweetner on it so it actually tastes good, not like normal special k). The cereal is about 120 calories for a serving but has 10 grams of protein in it and I think 4 grams of fiber (not 100% sure) so this may help you reach your macros goals at least, which tends to suffer if you eat below 1200.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I am a very intelligent person and came here looking for help and encouragement... not dis belief and false judgements.
    It can be hard and challenging when it comes to weight loss- especially for women. I think at this point I am cautious to eat more food than what I was used to eating when i was on a fad diet or juice cleanse. The consistent exercise is new to me too and trying to compensate for those extra calories as well can be over whelming. When your told to cut back, diet and restrict- then told to eat much more than your use to is a totally different mind set. The other thing is time. I work very hard as a nurse and eating during work is a luxury. I don't think its smart to cram all 1400 calories in right before bedtime. I have been on a personal journey to wellness and trying to iron things out. Thanks for all your helpful thoughts???!

Why isn't it smart to cram in 1400 calories before bedtime? Unless it makes you not sleep. You need to work on your relationship with food, I was a yo-yo dieter all my life, now that I eat what I want just smaller portions of it, it's not difficult, and I get to eat all the good stuff. If you can't eat over 1200 calories - 1. You are lying to yourself about how much you are truly eating 2. Give up the low cal, fat free stuff and eat some good food you will easily get to 1200 calories.

Good luck
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    So...a food scale (so you actually know what you are really eating), some peanut butter, maybe add some cheese to those meals (a 1" cube is not going to fill you up, and is 68cals for Cheddar...3times a day = 204cals, 12grams of pro, 0.5carbs, 18g fat), and before long you are hitting your goal.
    Hey, remember non-diet sodas? Tons of cals there, and easy to get and consume.
    Or maybe some 100% fruit juice...113 cals in a cup of unsweetened apple juice. 111cals in OJ.
    Or a beer (210cals in a pint of Guinness)
    Or maybe just eat a cupcake with frosting.

As long as you keep the cals below the amount you burn...weight comes off.

Or just the frosting..... :)

Very simple to add calories to your diet. Too simple, in fact. That's why I needed to lose 30 pounds. Peanut butter may be just about the best thing if you need extra cals. Around 100 per tablespoon and you get healthy fat and a little protein.