i cant get enough calories

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My eyes are bleeding from the overwhelming amount of BS in this thread.

That is very judgmental. Your not playing nice in the sand box.

how is it judgmental to point out the obvious, which is how can someone go from consuming 2000+ calories a day, but then when they start trying to lose, that same person cannot eat 1200 a day? Makes no sense...

Oh, no, she is right. I am being judgmental. I have no qualms about being judgmental, especially towards people who insult my intelligence by expecting me to believe....yeah, you get it.

spoiler alert: I am also a bit sexist as well but hey, you will never have to take out the trash, change your oil or open a door when you are around me. Guess there is always trade-offs.

Well darn! You're all the way over there. And here I am over... here. You're welcome to come take out MY trash!

OP - thought I'd throw in my two cents. If you don't like peanut butter, eat some chocolate. Yum! (and unless you have a scale, you're likely eating more than you think you are... and, no, I don't weigh my food either - but I never claimed to be consistent) :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    eat real food. Don't stick to the low cal / no cal / "diet" versions. Especially if you aren't eating enough to start with.

This!^

Protein and fat are really important.

Dump the low cal salad dressings, add nuts or seeds to your salads. A spoonful of peanut butter is yummy on apple slices. Do you avocado? ......really healthy.
  • jodikilleffer
    Options
    I figured it was simple math calories in vs calories burned = weight loss. Not so much.
    how isn't it?
    well I am suppose to eat 1200 not including the extra 400-500 for exercise.
    I was eating around 1000 (even though I was not logging it-I can keep track in my head) and I have not lost a single lb.
    I need to eat more to loose weight.

I also want to say I was never a binge eater or had a hard time consuming more food. I chose to eat around 1,000 calories and felt satisfied.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I figured it was simple math calories in vs calories burned = weight loss. Not so much.
    how isn't it?
    I was eating around 1000 (even though I was not logging it-I can keep track in my head) and I have not lost a single lb.

I also want to say I was never a binge eater or had a hard time consuming more food. I chose to eat around 1,000 calories and felt satisfied.

Weigh your food, log your food you are eating more than you think you are eating even if it's clean
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i ate peanut butter this morning:D
    Take a bite of peanut butter BAM 200 calories!

Yupp. 2 tbsp. for about 200 calories. Easy add on. And besides, no one is ever too full for two spoons of peanut butter before bed ;)

yes you ate peanut butter today but why did you only have 1 tablespoon plus a handful of grapes. why not 2. why not 2 hardboiled eggs. you seem to eat fast food a lot - is there a reason? i understand you are struggling to eat 1200 calories but even that is too low. you also need to add veggies to your diet. i just had an oz of edamame with my lunch. how about adding some nuts to your snacks/meals. if you're going to eat a chicken leg why not have 2 or better yet chicken breast or thigh. how about making your own salads for lunch - chicken strips, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, nuts, cheese yum!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Make sure you weigh your peanut butter. A spoonful could end up really being 2. Easiest way is to set the jar on the scale and zero it out, then log the number of grams as you spoon it out.

It's not QUITE as accurate, but a measuring spoon is pretty reliable so long as you level them rather than considering a heaping tablespoon to be equivalent to 1 tbsp.

It seems I'm in the minority here with not weighing my food. I get why people do it, but I use balances all day at work, I think I would lose it if I had to weigh more stuff just in order to be able to eat when I get home.

This is why I bought a scale and switched from measuring cups/spoons to weighing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • m_shell
    Options
    I cannnnnot believe I am throwing myself to the wolves here, but I can relate. I would have to disagree about meeting the 1200 calories, I can do that--we all can do that. 200-300 calories left over is a banana, some protein powder, almond milk, maybe a few blueberries and you got yourself a yummy shake! What I'm struggling with is trying to eat back those calories burned working out. I gained 68lbs when pregnant with my son. I ate and ate and ate and ATE and never logged my food (duh!) Clearly I was over the "allowed" calories for the day..month..year. Now here I am working out 6-7 days a week, drinking ONLY water and an occasional coffee, and logging every thing I put into my mouth. If you're truly honest with yourself, it's an eye opener. I find myself choosing not to eat certain things because logging it would be a hassle or I cannot find what I'm looking for or I don't have the means to create my own recipe and/or I don't want to see that I ate a Hershey bar and 6 girl scout cookie which is the calorie equivalent of meal. I was always told that you had to burn more calories than you're taking in. I get that MFP already factors in your normal activity to calculate your "allowed" calories. What I'm struggling with is (and maybe you other ladies can relate with this) I do all this work at the gym only to have to EAT my calories back when I'm not even hungry?? I will burn between 600-800 calories at the gym (which may not be a lot for some, but quiet a milestone for me) and I struggle to eat any of those calories back. At first, no problem, but I'm about 30 days in, I drink a ton of water and I'm quite satisfied (hunger-wise) most days (because I'm eating the RIGHT food) and I can have 700-800 calories left! I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry- that makes no sense to me. I'm less hungry throughout the day when I work out ( I work out in the morning before work) and I'm more aware and conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. I'd reallllly love a big fat greasy cheeseburger and fries right now. I have the calories to eat it, but that doesn't mean I should, right?!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    how isn't it?

Do not add in your head. Log it!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I am in the same boat. I never get close to my 1400 calorie range. I eat all day long but I eat low calorie foods...apples, celery and hummus, bananas, a Shakology shake, cottage cheese, chicken, fresh juiced veggies and fruits. I am never hungry and if I am..I eat. it is 1:15 and I still have 1,424 calories to eat, so far I have had a huge bowl of homemade, clean chicken sausage soup, cottage cheese, 2 cups of coffee and 4 hard boiled egg(No yolks). I have not lost a lb since January! I stopped logging thinking I would eat more- I think I eat less. I am going to go back to logging. any help would be much appreciated.

Eating "apples, celery and hummus, bananas, a Shakology shake, cottage cheese, chicken, fresh juiced veggies and fruits" all day long can easily add up to far more than 1,400 calories. "Clean" foods don't suddenly make you lose weight. It is actually very, very easy to overconsume on higher calorie fruits like bananas, dips/fillings like humus, and cottage cheese. Heck I LOVE frozen granny smith apples, could down three without blinking an eye, and that's over 300 calories on apples alone.

If you're not getting anywhere close to your 1,400 calorie range, than you're overeating on "apples, celery and hummus, bananas, a Shakology shake, cottage cheese, chicken, fresh juiced veggies and fruits".
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    How is it that this board is packed with so many of us who are/were very overweight to obese, but suddenly, when calorie counting, there is an endless amount of people who now can't get enough calories in?
    This.
    And this:

I think it's some twisted novelty thing. Like "I used to over-eat, but now that I'm eating healthy, I just caaaaan't get my required calories, isn't that so cool that an overweight person can, like, have this problem? Isn't this AWESOME?"

The answer is simple: How do you eat more? Find food. Open mouth. Insert. Chew. Swallow. Later, poop. Rinse, repeat.

To those who are saying we're being "rude" - stick around. I'm sure you'll be shocked when the next thread about this subject rolls around. Here's hoping the shock wears off by the time the 30th thread like this pops up.
  • Bananna411
    Options
    I cannnnnot believe I am throwing myself to the wolves here, but I can relate. I would have to disagree about meeting the 1200 calories, I can do that--we all can do that. 200-300 calories left over is a banana, some protein powder, almond milk, maybe a few blueberries and you got yourself a yummy shake! What I'm struggling with is trying to eat back those calories burned working out. I gained 68lbs when pregnant with my son. I ate and ate and ate and ATE and never logged my food (duh!) Clearly I was over the "allowed" calories for the day..month..year. Now here I am working out 6-7 days a week, drinking ONLY water and an occasional coffee, and logging every thing I put into my mouth. If you're truly honest with yourself, it's an eye opener. I find myself choosing not to eat certain things because logging it would be a hassle or I cannot find what I'm looking for or I don't have the means to create my own recipe and/or I don't want to see that I ate a Hershey bar and 6 girl scout cookie which is the calorie equivalent of meal. I was always told that you had to burn more calories than you're taking in. I get that MFP already factors in your normal activity to calculate your "allowed" calories. What I'm struggling with is (and maybe you other ladies can relate with this) I do all this work at the gym only to have to EAT my calories back when I'm not even hungry?? I will burn between 600-800 calories at the gym (which may not be a lot for some, but quiet a milestone for me) and I struggle to eat any of those calories back. At first, no problem, but I'm about 30 days in, I drink a ton of water and I'm quite satisfied (hunger-wise) most days (because I'm eating the RIGHT food) and I can have 700-800 calories left! I don't want to eat when I'm not hungry- that makes no sense to me. I'm less hungry throughout the day when I work out ( I work out in the morning before work) and I'm more aware and conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. I'd reallllly love a big fat greasy cheeseburger and fries right now. I have the calories to eat it, but that doesn't mean I should, right?!

I know exactly what you mean! i feel like i am in the same boat.
  • weber22c
    Options
    This is why I bought a scale and switched from measuring cups/spoons to weighing:

It was pretty obvious that the additional volume from measuring above the lip of the cup was going to bring the total to 55-60 g rather than 40. Not really the huge shock the video makes it out to be.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    How is it that this board is packed with so many of us who are/were very overweight to obese, but suddenly, when calorie counting, there is an endless amount of people who now can't get enough calories in?
    This.
    And this:

I think it's some twisted novelty thing. Like "I used to over-eat, but now that I'm eating healthy, I just caaaaan't get my required calories, isn't that so cool that an overweight person can, like, have this problem? Isn't this AWESOME?"

The answer is simple: How do you eat more? Find food. Open mouth. Insert. Chew. Swallow. Later, poop. Rinse, repeat.

To those who are saying we're being "rude" - stick around. I'm sure you'll be shocked when the next thread about this subject rolls around. Here's hoping the shock wears off by the time the 30th thread like this pops up.

*high five*
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    threads like this always baffle my mind...

How did you end up obese if you cannot consume more than 1200 calories a day? I assume in your over-eating days that you were eating 2000+ a day, which is how you put on the weight, yes?

I can honestly answer that question. At my heaviest, I was 325 lbs. I NEVER exercised, never ate breakfast and I ate high fat, high carb foods. When I started MFP, I logged what I normally ate in a day for about 3 weeks. I wanted to know exactly what I was doing wrong. I didn't feel like I was eating that bad and I was only eating two meals per day... Well, I learned that I typically ate only 700 - 800 calories per day but they weren't healthy calories. It was all garbage. Imagine my surprise when I learned the "salad" I chose to eat for lunch was packed with more fat than a Whopper and none of the protein!

Believe me when I say that not all obese people eat a lot of food... we just choose the wrong foods and we don't move consistently to burn off the calories we are consuming. For many years, I tried every fad diet out there and convinced myself that I either couldn't lose weight or had some kind of medical issue. It wasn't until this little diary slapped me in the face and taught me about my mistakes.

I still struggle to lose... over the last few years, I have lost 110lbs... recently gaining a few more back than I like. I never give up, I just keep logging and moving.

Please try to understand that those of us that are "obese" are not always over eaters... just highly misinformed about what healthy eating looks like. Thankfully, we are capable of educating ourselves and making changes. It's a long hard road... but definitely worth the journey.

I doubt you became obese on 700-800 calories a day. You are lying to your self, I know cause I done it myself I think we all have one time or another. Calories in calories out, if you eat to much and don't move enough you gain weight, it has nothing to with what kind if food you eat!!!

I eat EVERYTHING in moderation!!!
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    This.
    And this:

*high five*

So you get annoyed that people ask the same "dumb" questions over and over again, yet you answer them. Stop!

There are plenty of other people on this website that will respond to them. You don't need to....
  • tegalicious
    Options

It was pretty obvious that the additional volume from measuring above the lip of the cup was going to bring the total to 55-60 g rather than 40. Not really the huge shock the video makes it out to be.

Well.... I had the shock of my life when I weighed my pb2.... I wasn't over filling the measuring spoon.... I was leveling it off and everything.... Then I weighed the portion after measuring it with the measuring spoon... Ha! One tablespoon of pb2 is equal to the weight of 2 tablespoons of pb2!!! Well. That explains why I stopped losing weight when I started eating six servings of that stuff daily. Cause I was really eating 12 :/
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am a very clean eater. No white flour, no white sugar. No low fat, no diet soda's...Just water, beer, wine and coffee.I have been avoiding dairy but seems as if I should add it back in. Organic fruits and veggies and lean meats and nuts and whole grains. Looks like peanut butter and chocolate milk and extra wine are going to be my new besties. I will have no problem adding them in. I really was not aware how damaging eating too few calories could be.I figured it was simple math calories in vs calories burned = weight loss. Not so much.

news flash, if you are drinking beer and wine and consuming "whole grains" these are carbohydrates and are broken down in your body as sugar, so you are consuming sugar.

secondary news flash - it is about calories in vs calories out. Eat more = gain; eat les = lose; eat at maintenance = maintain...
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    This may not help in the calorie dept but I eat special K protein cereal (it has a sweetner on it so it actually tastes good, not like normal special k). The cereal is about 120 calories for a serving but has 10 grams of protein in it and I think 4 grams of fiber (not 100% sure) so this may help you reach your macros goals at least, which tends to suffer if you eat below 1200.

Better to have a Kind bar than this, Special K bars are full of chemicals/processed nonsense and probably not the healthiest thing to add when trying to get more calories (or, really ever)- cook with olive oil, use almond butter, eat some nuts or cheese....healthier/less proceessed is the better option more times than not. :)
  • tegalicious
    Options
    This.
    And this:

*high five*

So you get annoyed that people ask the same "dumb" questions over and over again, yet you answer them. Stop!

There are plenty of other people on this website that will respond to them. You don't need to....

Who me? I am not annoyed!! Not in the slightest!! And yeah. You don't know my history. You don't know what has happened in my life and why I feel compelled to respond to these threads. And because you don't know me and don't know my history you have no right to tell me what I can and can't respond to. I am trying to be helpful. While being blunt and honest. It's exactly the kind of advice I read when I was struggling. And it helped me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    threads like this always baffle my mind...

How did you end up obese if you cannot consume more than 1200 calories a day? I assume in your over-eating days that you were eating 2000+ a day, which is how you put on the weight, yes?

I can honestly answer that question. At my heaviest, I was 325 lbs. I NEVER exercised, never ate breakfast and I ate high fat, high carb foods. When I started MFP, I logged what I normally ate in a day for about 3 weeks. I wanted to know exactly what I was doing wrong. I didn't feel like I was eating that bad and I was only eating two meals per day... Well, I learned that I typically ate only 700 - 800 calories per day but they weren't healthy calories. It was all garbage. Imagine my surprise when I learned the "salad" I chose to eat for lunch was packed with more fat than a Whopper and none of the protein!

Believe me when I say that not all obese people eat a lot of food... we just choose the wrong foods and we don't move consistently to burn off the calories we are consuming. For many years, I tried every fad diet out there and convinced myself that I either couldn't lose weight or had some kind of medical issue. It wasn't until this little diary slapped me in the face and taught me about my mistakes.

I still struggle to lose... over the last few years, I have lost 110lbs... recently gaining a few more back than I like. I never give up, I just keep logging and moving.

Please try to understand that those of us that are "obese" are not always over eaters... just highly misinformed about what healthy eating looks like. Thankfully, we are capable of educating ourselves and making changes. It's a long hard road... but definitely worth the journey.

I am sorry, but there is no way you were consuming 700 to 800 calories a day and you were obese. Did you have a food scale? Did you weigh, measure, log every single bit of food you ate? If one could only consume 700 calories a day and be obese then most of Africa would not be dying of starvation, and those people in the concentration camps would have been obese rather then all skin and bone...

ever heard of the "Twinkie diet"..? Look it up ...

Trust me, it really is as simple as calories in vs calories out...