• silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    zarckon wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    Exercise burns food consumed, lol.

And yes, everyone should use whatever mental tricks work for them. For me, the currency model has been life-changing. Exercise = money earned, food = money spent.

Used to be in debt, now earning more than I make and losing for the first time in my life.

And no eating disorder! Just math!

Exercise doesn't just burn food consumed....

and like everyone has said about 6 times, congratulations. gold star. good for you. woohoo times two.

just because this is what works for you and your special mindset doesn't mean it works for us or that we agree or should agree.

For me, using the food as currency method, would go hand in hand with the whole idea of using shame and negativity and deprivation of love and self-worth as workout motivators.

Within a month, I would only eat if i was naked, sitting indian style in front of a full length mirror so I would be sure to not be such a pig and could earn myself a happy day, if i behave and don't spend any calories.

Sorry to hear you have such troubles with food!

I don't have much time for exercise and I don't enjoy it. I know that some people do enjoy it and have lots of time for it, and therefore have to worry about calories less than I do.

Guess what! We're all different! You're not unhealthy, and neither am I! Gold star for you too, because you've found something that works for you!

I don't have shame or negativity about food. In fact, knowing my budget has helped me feel good about whatever I'm eating. For the first time in my life, I'm not afraid of food.

But I do eat my entire caloric allotment almost every day, and that allotment changes depending on my daily exercise levels. Pretty simple math.

Funny, for someone who has it all together, you sure took a simple and valid point personally.

The method which is working for you (exercise like crazy but don't explicitly count calories against it) led to my becoming seriously overweight, so I am expressing a different viewpoint.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    # the struggle IS real.

I work 8-430 at a desk/bouncy ball.

gym 3x a week- and then dance 3 times a week.
    seriously... EVER snack counts.

People are flabbergasted that I eat as little as I do- and I'm barely losing- because I sit ALL day... even the extra gym/studio work doesn't compensate for that sitting.

So yeah- holding on to that scrap of snack when switching to TDEE is hard.

But I think it's better- I switched officially October 1... I think it's better- less likely to eff up an assumption on calorie burns.

Every snack counts...that should be a T-Shirt!

Making it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's like saying "Working to earn money isn't the healthiest way to approach the relationship between your work and your financial state. You should work for the enjoyment of it and because it's improves your mental state."

I like my job more than most people like their jobs, but I wouldn't do it if I wasn't getting paid.

+1

I wish I loved my job that much.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

And yes, everyone should use whatever mental tricks work for them. For me, the currency model has been life-changing. Exercise = money earned, food = money spent.

Used to be in debt, now earning more than I make and losing for the first time in my life.

and like everyone has said about 6 times, congratulations. gold star. good for you. woohoo times two.

just because this is what works for you and your special mindset doesn't mean it works for us or that we agree or should agree.

For me, using the food as currency method, would go hand in hand with the whole idea of using shame and negativity and deprivation of love and self-worth as workout motivators.

Within a month, I would only eat if i was naked, sitting indian style in front of a full length mirror so I would be sure to not be such a pig and could earn myself a happy day, if i behave and don't spend any calories.

I don't have much time for exercise and I don't enjoy it. I know that some people do enjoy it and have lots of time for it, and therefore have to worry about calories less than I do.

Guess what! We're all different! You're not unhealthy, and neither am I! Gold star for you too, because you've found something that works for you!

I don't have shame or negativity about food. In fact, knowing my budget has helped me feel good about whatever I'm eating. For the first time in my life, I'm not afraid of food.

But I do eat my entire caloric allotment almost every day, and that allotment changes depending on my daily exercise levels. Pretty simple math.

Funny, for someone who has it all together, you sure took a simple and valid point personally.

The method which is working for you (exercise like crazy but don't explicitly count calories against it) led to my becoming seriously overweight, so I am expressing a different viewpoint.

The difference is that JoRocka has pictures of herself for contextual reference. She has a hard time because she's already pretty damned lean. No one knows where you frame of reference is because you don't have any pictures to reference your statements. Did you every post pics of your muscularity?
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I either dont eat mine back or I eat about a quarter back as map my fitness tends to get terribly excited about fat girl exercising. I am thinking once I get to maintenance I will fiddle with what I can eat back be it a third or a half til I find what works. I am not sure I could cope with TDEE
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    # the struggle IS real.

People are flabbergasted that I eat as little as I do- and I'm barely losing- because I sit ALL day... even the extra gym/studio work doesn't compensate for that sitting.

But I think it's better- I switched officially October 1... I think it's better- less likely to eff up an assumption on calorie burns.

That was the reason I switched back over to TDEE. Well, my bastardized version of it, anyway. The concept is the same, I have the same calorie goal every day, I just calculated my average weekly exercise burns myself instead of relying on the general lightly active/active/highly active settings.

Anyway, I had the same problem switching over at first. The days when I burn the majority of my weekly exercise calories were really miserable for a while. I finally ended up just eating a bit more on those days and less on others and targeting the weekly average rather than the daily goal (always trying to get daily macros).

Oh, and if anyone goes looking at my diary - yes, I've been consistently over for weeks. I think I underestimated exercise cals. I'm getting constantly hungry again, and that's been a reliable sign I'm not fueling well enough in the past. I'm waiting to see if I start gaining, or maintain.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Actually, I asked my nutritionist about this today. She said that it is very hard to estimate actual calories burned due to the law of diminishing returns. So the first week that you do an exercise, you might burn the amount of calories the machine says (or what it says when you look it up online, etc.), but as you continue to do that same exercise, you burn less and less over time. So three months from now, you running for 30 minutes on the treadmill at 9 minute mile speed will burn fewer calories as it did on day one....and it can be the difference between 350 calories on the first day to 100 calories in month three.

That is why I try not to eat all of my calories. She suggested eating fewer on the days you don't work out and "slightly" higher on days you do.....but certainly not the full amount because it's probably an inaccurate number.

Your nutritionist is confusing effort with physics.
    Calories burned are to do with weight/distance/duration - not fitness levels or perceived effort.
    A fit, muscular 200lb person walking up stairs will burn the same number of calories as an unfit, fat 200lb person walking up stairs. There may be very small efficiencies that come into it but because it's easy for one and hard for the other has very little to do with energy expended.

Actually fitness level has a lot to do with calories burned. Hence V02Max. The more fit you are the more oxygen you can push through your body, so even with what seems like less effort you can actually burn more calories. Calories burned is much closer linked to oxygen uptake than it is HR, for those that use and HRM to get an estimate.
    Nope - higher fitness levels allow you to do more, that's why a fitter person can burn more calories. So a fitter person can cycle faster for longer as an example.

Agree about HR though - many people don't understand how they work unfortunately. I'm creating much more power for a lower HR now than a few years ago so an uncalibrated HRM will be way out for me.

I used a sophisticated cycle trainer the other day with a power meter. An unfit person working hard creating 200w of power is burning the same calories as a super fit (high VO2 max) person cruising along creating 200w of power. The unfit person just won't be able to sustain it for long.

VO2Max is a measure of performance threshold but the real key is at what percentage of that threshold one can maintain. A person can actually be more fit than a person who has a high VO2Max. For example person a has VO2Max of 100 but can only sustain at 50% of max is less fit than a person with VO2Max of 80 but can maintain at 70% (50 vs 56). If all else is equal, a person with a higher VO2Max is gifted but life is not that simple.

And as you get more fit does it makes sense to stay at the same intensity level? If so your nutritionist is some what right if you slack off to keep the original status quo but that is counter to what most people want. One get fit to do more, not to stay at the same level or go backwards.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options

The difference is that JoRocka has pictures of herself for contextual reference. She has a hard time because she's already pretty damned lean. No one knows where you frame of reference is because you don't have any pictures to reference your statements. Did you every post pics of your muscularity?

What the heck does that have to do with it? My weight loss goals and progress are in my profile. Yes, I had unwanted bulking due to following bad advice to focus on the gym instead of diet for weight loss, but that's not even the issue here.

A particular user (not JoRocka) thinks it's unhealthy if I go to the gym "because I might want dessert" instead of "because I love the gym". She apparently objects when I say her way is not the only way the way to think about it. I don't think that a love for exercise is a necessary prerequisite to weight loss, health, OR fitness. Thank god, because I hate the gym!

My opinion is that for weight loss and maintenance, you should set your net caloric budget and stick to it as much as possible. If you want more food, you have to burn more, and if you burn more, you can eat more if you want. Not exactly controversial, and I don't understand why she's being so nasty about it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Oh, I count calories. I just don't view exercise as a mean to erase food or food as a means to reward exercise.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

What the heck does that have to do with it? My weight loss goals and progress are in my profile. Yes, I had unwanted bulking due to following bad advice to focus on the gym instead of diet for weight loss, but that's not even the issue here.

A particular user (not JoRocka) thinks it's unhealthy if I go to the gym "because I might want dessert" instead of "because I love the gym". She apparently objects when I say her way is not the only way the way to think about it. I don't think that a love for exercise is a necessary prerequisite to weight loss, health, OR fitness. Thank god, because I hate the gym!

My opinion is that for weight loss and maintenance, you should set your net caloric budget and stick to it as much as possible. If you want more food, you have to burn more, and if you burn more, you can eat more if you want. Not exactly controversial, and I don't understand why she's being so nasty about it.

And this is your problem. No where in my posts did I say my way is the only way. Not one post.

I said that viewing exercise as a means to "erase" food and food as a means to "reward" exercise is not the only way to do it and is definitely not the healthiest way to view the relationship between food and exercise for some people.

That's all I said. You are taking it as an attack on your model, which it isn't, and making it personal for whatever reason, which is not. But, I guess this is a trigger for you.

I'm not being nasty. But, I don't like that you are putting words in my mouth. I also don't like the fact that either A) your reading comprehension skills suck or B ) you are incredibly rude for assuming I have an eating disorder. I also don't like the fact that you immediately equate my way, or Yoovie's way (or way of describing her feelings), as meaning we have issues with food.

Because, obviously, WE DON'T. We've put the work in to not have issues with food.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

And this is your problem. No where in my posts did I say my way is the only way. Not one post.

I said that viewing exercise as a means to "erase" food and food as a means to "reward" exercise is not the only way to do it and is definitely not the healthiest way to view the relationship between food and exercise for some people.

That's all I said. You are taking it as an attack on your model, which it isn't, and making it personal for whatever reason, which is not. But, I guess this is a trigger for you.

I'm not being nasty. But, I don't like that you are putting words in my mouth. I also don't like the fact that either A) your reading comprehension skills suck or B ) you are incredibly rude for assuming I have an eating disorder. I also don't like the fact that you immediately equate my way, or Yoovie's way (or way of describing her feelings), as meaning we have issues with food.

Because, obviously, WE DON'T. We've put the work in to not have issues with food.

+1
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

thank you but, as I mentioned, I don't have trouble with food. I only would IF I used it like currency and punishment/reward systems. It would bother me too much to have shame or pride or negativity attached to it like that.

im again glad you also found something that works for you.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    # the struggle IS real.

Every snack counts...that should be a T-Shirt!

I don't know what's going on in here any more other than I cosign...

a shirt should be made!!!!
  • yoovie
    Options

Oh, I count calories. I just don't view exercise as a mean to erase food or food as a means to reward exercise.

^ this

I monitor my nutrition but it's not a barter system.

• simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Lots of "experts" replying to this one. For me (yes, just me) eating back exercise calories doesn't work. I don't log my exercise, I don't eat the calories back, and yes, I'm losing weight.

20757594.png
  • yoovie
    Options
    being an 'expert' at how your own relationship with food works must be something I didnt realize I should be ashamed of! my bad!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For me (yes, just me) eating back exercise calories doesn't work. I don't log my exercise, I don't eat the calories back, and yes, I'm losing weight.

I guess if the level of exercise isn't that significant then not logging helps alleviate the errors that arise in the intake logging process.

When sessions don't burn less than 500 cals, and are frequently closer to 1000 then it's a big risk not to account for the expenditure.