Signs You're A Gym Butt-Face/Crossfit Hate?

Options
This post is kind of a double whammy. And A little long.

Part 1:
A friend of mine goes to the gym all the time and every now and then he'll post videos or pics (gym-related) on Facebook. The other day he posted a video about common pet peeves gym goers have. I agree with most of them.

1. Noisy Bros - you know these guys, the ones who shout and yell EVERYTHING, usually when crowded around a fellow bro say, at the bench press. 'C'MON BRO! LIFT! SWOLE (or whatever)!" Even with my headphone volume to the max I still can hear them.

2. Creepers - usually seen ogling girls. I've never personally had a problem with this, or seen it at my gym, but my friend has, and while its nice to appreciate (we all understand, yoga pants are sexy), don't stalk the girl around (this happened to her), pretend to work out, and stare and leer. C'mon man.

3. On Your Cellphone - I can see this being debated. I'm not talking about playing with your phone when resting or between sets or you know, when NOT hogging a machine, (more of a pet peeve) but for my experience it sort of coincides with #1. This one guy will hog the machines, do maybe one set, and talk on the phone for 20 minutes (and he is LOUD). I'll go up and say, "Hey, are you almost done?" and he answers "ah no, I got a few more sets" Then do one set, then 20 minutes later....RAWR! Which brings me to #4.

4. Hogging machines/ workout equipment - The gym I go to is small, and this happens ALL the time! I admit, I did this once when I was a newbie gym goer. I was simply trying to emulate a workout I did with a trainer the day prior. I was quickly set on the right path. This is one reason why I started working out in the early morning. Empty....so nice.

5. Unsolicited advice about form - again, I know this can be debated. Some people actually have legit advice. BUT MANY DO NOT. For me, it's rather intrusive. I'm working my form with the help of many videos, tutorials, awesome advice from you lovely MFP weightlifters, and elsewhere, on my own. If I need advice, I'll ask for it.

6. Excessive (and obviously unnecessary) grunting - I'll grunt when I'm lifting heavy, but some guys do this while lifting some puny dumbbells at my gym. Some of the time it's hilarious to listen to, a lot of the time it's just annoying. I think a few of them are doing it just to get attention.

7. Competitive gym goers - the people who try to one-up you. I've had this happen twice, when I was on the treadmill and once when on the elliptical. I'm doing HIIT usually when I use those machines. But whenever I upped the level or speed, this one girl would increase her speed or difficulty that much more. I try not to make eye contact, but I'm like, seriously? What's the point of doing that?

Other bulletpoints that the video included that didn't really pertain to me were:

8. Wearing sunglasses in the gym
9. Wearing expensive non-gym shirts to the gym
10. Wearing flipflops/jean shorts to the gym
11. ILS (Imaginary Lat Syndrome) - the guys who pretend like their lats are huge and walk around with their arms in the air. I saw this once, I just laughed and laughed and laughed.
12. Other people's bad form - I mean, when I see it I'll just inwardly shake my head, but it doesn't bother me on a personal level.
13. Naked in the lockerroom - again, hasn't ever happened to me, but I hear this happens a lot in male lockerrooms, particularly with older men.

Do you agree/disagree with this list? Any to add yourself?

Part 2: Which brings me to part 2 of my post. So in looking at that video, I got sucked into watching like 15 other gym-related videos (such is the way of the Youtube). And suggested videos that came up a lot, had to do with major hate against Crossfitters. Why do people have such a stigma against Crossfitt? I've never met anyone who personally does Crossfit, and I know practically nothing about it other than what I've been told by people.

I was told Crossfit:
a. works all the muscles traditional lifting doesn't get to
b. is expensive
c. kills your joints in the long run

Other than the expensive thing (I know that for a fact), I don't know the truth of the other two claims. From the videos, Crossfitters see themselves as being elite? Is that true? Any good info from MFP Crossfitters to educate me?

This post brought to you by Fabulous Llama:

tumblr_mdricbftdH1ri66bko1_250.gif

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    in... for the llama! I have nothing of value to add, but I'd like to read.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    LOL on ILS! I've seen this, too. :laugh:

I agree with all but #3. Here's why: I log my exercise sets/reps on MyFitnessPal on my phone. So, after the first set, I'll type in weight x set x reps, then I'll adjust it by the last set if I change weights or do fewer/more sets. :wink:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Good post. I'm so thankful to be able to workout at home. :smile:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Everyone just hates on crossfitters because they get really REALLY upset when you do.....and that is just fun.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'll take your "Noisy Bros" and raise you the "Noisy Cardiobunnies"

The ones who have a full conversation for the 40 mins they're on the machine, yelling at each other so the whole gym can hear (even through headphones) so they can hear each other over the machines.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I do a bootcamp style crossfit. I love it!! I am 215 pounds, so I am not in awesome shape mind you!! It pushes me more than I have ever been pushed before!! Cant speak for everyone, but I know I will miss it if we stop doing it where I work!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the first. A gym is a public place. You are going to have to deal with others. So . . . okay . . . deal! End of story.

There used to be a lot of Crossfit hate. Maybe the Crossfitters asked for it. Crossfit was new, so, of course, they were enthusiastic about it, and perhaps somewhat obnoxious.
    I think the regular gym people looked at it, and decided that Crossfit style lifting was not necessarily the best way to get big . . . and they were kind of threatened too, by something new, I think. So, they said, 'oh, crossfiters don't lift properly. They aren't accomplishing anything!' and they said, 'Oh my god! Crossfit is horrible! The injury rate is SUPER high.'
    It turns out, neither of those things are probably true. Is it the best way to get big muscles? No. Probably not. But some people are not necessarily trying to get huge. Will it make you stronger? Probably. AND, it is fun!

p.s. love the llama too.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Good post. I'm so thankful to be able to workout at home. :smile:

^ This!!!!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

7. Competitive gym goers - the people who try to one-up you. I've had this happen twice, when I was on the treadmill and once when on the elliptical. I'm doing HIIT usually when I use those machines. But whenever I upped the level or speed, this one girl would increase her speed or difficulty that much more. I try not to make eye contact, but I'm like, seriously? What's the point of doing that?

1329164632064_8847384.png
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    i pretty much do everything from part one... people hate me?

well not the flip flops, I just wear my socks.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why should my husband be the only one that gets to see me naked? :wink:
  • justinproulx1
    Options
    I hate crossfit
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    lol at the list.

The only "issues" I have had personally with crossfit is they take up a load of room moving quickly from one area to another (someone weighing 50 lbs less than me bounced off of me when my back was turned, good thing I wasn't lifting at the time) and they hoard weights/bands/equipment like a squirrel before winter. But that's only a few people. If it gets people to workout I'm all for it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    < yells at self while curling
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in a locker room. It's a frickin' locker room, for goodness' sake!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Why should my husband be the only one that gets to see me naked? :wink:

That the right attitude there!!!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Oh, another one to add. Which, again doesn't really pertain to me, but really annoys my friend:

14. Doing curls at the squat rack
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT SNIFFING BICYCLE SEATS AFTER THE WOMEN GET OFF OF THEM?!?! HA HA HA HA ISN'T THAT GREAT???!?!!!???

Oh you guys don't do that?

Yeah, me either. I just heard that was awesome..from, uh, a friend or something.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in a locker room. It's a frickin' locker room, for goodness' sake!

It depends on circumstance. I understand the need for nekidness while changing/drying off etc. But aint nobody need to be standing there dangling their bits while shaving and brushing their teeth.