Signs You're A Gym Butt-Face/Crossfit Hate?

Options

Replies

• tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being naked in the locker room? It's where you have to shower and change clothes. It's hard to do either of those without being naked.

Now, if you're naked for a long time with one foot up on the bench, drying your pubes with a hairdryer (which I have seen), then yeah, that's a big negatory. But that's not "being naked in the locker room." That's "being naked and horrible in the locker room."
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    1.) Gym annoyances are many. Avoid most by going on off-hours, or expect it. I'm personally DREADING my workout this evening, I usually hit the gym in the morning when it's hardcore lifters or empty, and today I'm going after 5pm, which means a TOTALLY different atmosphere. That said, I'm braced for the ogles, the unsolicited comments, and the squat rack hog doing shrugs. (SO ANNOYING.)

2.) Crossfit can be okay. I think if form is valued over speed and weight, it can be beneficial as part of cardio to an overall plan. I do a mini-crossfit intro course several times a week, where form is emphasized. I do this in addition to my lifting sessions and my cardio, just because it's fun and has improved my form on a couple lifts.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    (someone weighing 50 lbs less than me bounced off of me when my back was turned)

That gave me a hilarious image, went GIF hunting for an appropriate presentation:

wrestler_seth_rollins_tyler_black_does_a_moonsault_off_fat_fan-78622.gif
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I don't get the issue with nakedness in a locker room. It's a frickin' locker room, for goodness' sake!

It depends on circumstance. I understand the need for nekidness while changing/drying off etc. But aint nobody need to be standing there dangling their bits while shaving and brushing their teeth.

Sure they do, if they are warm and don't want to sweat in their clothes. Or if it's just part of their routine. It's just a body. I get being annoyed if they're shoving their crotch intentionally in your face (clothed or not) but just being naked and getting ready? It's a body. No big deal. I routinely dry off and then lotion up and let it soak in for a few minutes while doing other things like brushing my teeth, etc.
  • tapirfrog
    Options
    Oh, another one to add. Which, again doesn't really pertain to me, but really annoys my friend:

14. Doing curls at the squat rack

TESTIFY SISTER. How 'bout I just do situps at the curl station while I'm at it, and paint my toenails with my foot up on the press bench?
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    WHAT ABOUT SNIFFING BICYCLE SEATS AFTER THE WOMEN GET OFF OF THEM?!?! HA HA HA HA ISN'T THAT GREAT???!?!!!???

Oh you guys don't do that?

Yeah, me either. I just heard that was awesome..from, uh, a friend or something.

I thought it was a common thing after spin class.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Now, if you're naked for a long time with one foot up on the bench, drying your pubes with a hairdryer (which I have seen), then yeah, that's a big negatory. But that's not "being naked in the locker room." That's "being naked and horrible in the locker room."

This. And worse than drying the jewels under the hand dryer was the awesome owner of a local parts store who discovered the value of crack drying. Grab a handful and spread is an image that I never never never need to witness again :mad:
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'll take your "Noisy Bros" and raise you the "Noisy Cardiobunnies"

The ones who have a full conversation for the 40 mins they're on the machine, yelling at each other so the whole gym can hear (even through headphones) so they can hear each other over the machines.

:drinker: Yes! We have a flock of cardio bunnies at our gym who EVERYONE can hear and it is more annoying than the noisy bros.

My 2 cents on crossfit: I have no problem with the concept, but most of the people I have met who do it have a superiority complex about it and think they're better because they lift weight in a converted garage, which clearly gives you a better workout than a regular gym? I don't get that. Plus, I looked at pricing and find it to be really expensive.
  • meule2
    Options
    ILS - that is the funniest thing I have heard all day!
  • tapirfrog
    Options

This. And worse than drying the jewels under the hand dryer was the awesome owner of a local parts store who discovered the value of crack drying. Grab a handful and spread is an image that I never never never need to witness again :mad:

OH

my

GOD

you officially win. You win. And I've never been so glad to lose in my life.
  • Briargrey
    Options
    Okay, I can see a quick, discreet turn of the hair dryer to toss some extra drying power down below to supplement the solid towel dry I'm hoping we're all using.....but a massive crack spread and dry? Yeah, that's just way, way too much for me (and I'm cool with people spreading the legs and shaving 'parts' in the shower -- it's the shower, it'll wash down the drain). I figure a well-applied towel is more appropriate there. Heh.

Now what I really don't get? Idiots who leave used tampons on the shelf in the shower. Really? You couldn't take that out in the bathroom stall and put it in the trash like the rest of us? Jeez.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Everyday I am more and more convinced that my gym is some kind of gym heaven...some kind of gym utopia or something. I just have never really had these kind of gym problems or the numerous issues people generally bring up here at my gym...I am very grateful to belong to such a rockin' gym.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being naked in the locker room? It's where you have to shower and change clothes. It's hard to do either of those without being naked.

Best Post Ever
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Okay, I can see a quick, discreet turn of the hair dryer to toss some extra drying power down below to supplement the solid towel dry I'm hoping we're all using.....but a massive crack spread and dry? Yeah, that's just way, way too much for me (and I'm cool with people spreading the legs and shaving 'parts' in the shower -- it's the shower, it'll wash down the drain). I figure a well-applied towel is more appropriate there. Heh.

Now what I really don't get? Idiots who leave used tampons on the shelf in the shower. Really? You couldn't take that out in the bathroom stall and put it in the trash like the rest of us? Jeez.

Why can't you just ring out the tampon and try to re-use it? You know, like a bonding thing. Sisterhood in the gym.
  • RhineDHP
    Options

:huh: :sick:

There There

tumblr_n08di3KXRD1qeva83o1_400.gif
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I liked crossfit when I did it and find it admirable. Haters gonna hate- it is known.

My past pet peeve that has been turned around is the "Catty Competitor". My gym is HUGE yet on a row of 15 identical elliptical machines all empty, hot girls will grab the one right next to you! Why? Because they want to race! I used to hate it, but have since decided its a compliment. It's just their way of saying "you're a worthy opponent so let's both get a better work out".

All the noise and grunting and chatty kathies are easily remedied with a good pair of noise-cancelling headphones (MUST NEVER FORGET THESE). My gym also has the creepers who will ogle you, but I've never seen or heard of an ogler who started stalking… Ask the manager to remove them?

Don't care what other people are wearing or how they walk around- you do you.

And finally confession time- I am one of the naked in the locker room people! Isn't this what locker rooms are for? I'm not risking wet or dirty drawers by hauling my clothes into the shower or bathroom stall. And if there's a sauna or hot tub you better believe I'm going for it in the buff :wink:
  • Briargrey
    Options
    And finally confession time- I am one of the naked in the locker room people! Isn't this what locker rooms are for? I'm not risking wet or dirty drawers by hauling my clothes into the shower or bathroom stall. And if there's a sauna or hot tub you better believe I'm going for it in the buff :wink:

Ditto. A million times ditto. I do so love the sauna and the thought of being in clothes in it? ugh.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've seen every single thing on this list at my gym. I don't THINK I have done any of these things...

I don't particularly care about the nudity in the women's locker room; I AM probably going to look though...does that make me a creeper?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    None of these things occur at my gym while I'm there. I go during my lunch break. The free weights are in a separate room from everything else and when guys are in there, it's usually pretty quiet. People working on their sets and what not. Some will talk, but for the most part, they're just there getting their lift on. However, I will say I've seen a couple guys not even going parallel on squat and not bringing the bar all the way down to the chest on bench. Doesn't bother me a bit.

ETA: What DOES annoy me a little is when someone doesn't rack their weights, which happens an awful lot. Very few times have I gone into the weight room to an empty bar anywhere.
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    Lol, I guess I should be more clear. The Nakedness bulletpoint, regarding that video, had more to do with male lockerrooms, and was geared towards those that walk around naked, shave, or whatever, still naked, put their feet up on the bench, basically just shoving their nakedness onto other men in the lockerroom. It's true, to shower and change you need to undress. The pet peeve is towards the more extreme cases, which, like what others have posted, is pretty traumatizing.