Diet Pills- what do you think?

Options
No, I'm not taking them. I just get disturbed when I see these talk shows like Dr. Oz promoting this diet fad, and that diet fad. I have never known one to work, so please correct me if I'm wrong. I know for me it took years to put on 40 pounds, and it is going to take a while to get it off by eating right and exercising. If there was a magic formula however, I would much rather take the easy route! :smile:

Replies

• DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In my opinion people like Dr. Oz promote just about anything...or it seems to. I am with you! I have used diet pills in the past and it is just a symptom of our quick fix society.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Generally a waste of money.
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I believe in commercial "diet pills". I do however believe in herbal supplements to boost metabolism.
    I myself have used green tea extract and cayenne pepper with great success.
    I'm not a doctor, nor do I promote the use of supplements without first consulting your physician. ;)
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It makes me so sad that my grandmom religiously listens to Dr. Oz
    The stuff on there makes my jaw drop at what they tell people who don't do their own research.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Promotion usually comes with compensation. Its unfortunate that we are bombarded with the BS but we can only continue to keep the nose to the stone and bust our *kitten* to be the best! I don't pay any attention to any of the fads or pills, just keep at it!
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    People have to be careful with those pills ... years ago, I got pills at the gym that was supposed to boost your metabolism and give you energy, supposedly to make workouts more productive and effective - it messed with my thyroid and I ended up with hyperthyroidism (then subsequently hypo) and a goiter the size of a golf-ball in my throat.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just NO.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    there is no magic pills, just greedy people who want your money...you have to work hard to be in shape.
  • crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i think if exercise came in the form of a pill... then it would be vacant on the shelves. People just want the easy way out. there IS an easy way out... its called MODERATION. just watch what you eat and get yourself moving. simple as A B C
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Not healthy, not effective, and NEVER a good idea!!
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think they do nothing helpful. If your not jittery or angry or you just poop a lot more. You get stomach cramps. My favorite was burping raspberry flavored burps... for hours...and hours....and hours.....

The FDA approved one almost killed me. I mean it says on the box...reduce fats in diet...and well I didn't so guess what..yeah..that person running to the can like a psycho in the middle of work like I swallowed a box of ex-lax? Me.

I've taken just about all of them lol.

There is no magic quick fix and honestly save yourself some money and grief.

:)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • weber22c
    Options
    Any "diet pill" that's even worth thinking twice about is going to be something that's FDA approved. For the most part, these require a doctor's prescription, but Alli is available OTC. However, they should be viewed as an absolute last resort and to be used in cases where the additional weight is truly threatening a patient's health.

Currently on the market:

Alli: FDA approved in 1999. The drug blocks absorption of ~25% of ingested fats. This is more of a behavioral enforcer than anything, as if you eat a particularly high-fat meal, you are going to have REALLY unpleasant bowel movements. Yay for negative reinforcement.

Belviq: FDA approved in 2013 (after being rejected over safety and efficacy concerns in 2010) and available by prescription only. The drug is a selective 5-HT2C receptor agonist acting on receptors in the hypothalamus, activating proopiomelanocortin (POMC) production and improved feelings of satiety.

Qsymia: also approved within the past few years. It's a combination of the anti-epileptic medication topiramate (Topamax, also used as a migraine prophylactic) and the stimulant phentermine. Appetite suppression is a very common side effect observed in patients taking topiramate for seizure or migraine, leading to off-label use and now to approval for that use. It should be noted that medications like topiramate typically come with a hefty set of side effects and are often difficult to wean off of.

Dr. Oz makes me sad, simply because the man really isn't a total idiot (he's been on the faculty of Columbia since 2001), but he's a massive sell-out.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    My diet doctor (Center for Medical Weight Loss) told me to not listen to anything that Dr. Oz promotes because he promotes some really medically-questionable things, so my doctor agrees with you!

My doctor did put me on prescription hunger suppressants for the first 2.5 months. He said it helps get over the initial hump and then when you stop taking them, your stomach has adjusted to having less food, so you won't feel ravenous. He was right. I'm doing it without the meds now and I don't feel any more hungry than I did while taking them.

He said now I will just continue with counting my calories on MFP, drinking enough water, exercising, and getting weighed. I don't use any of the pre-packaged foods available through the Center for Medical Weight Loss. I eat home-cooked meals and my doctor goes over my food choices and makes suggestions.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    OP, pick some buzzwords and/or products and search for them in the forums.
    the consensus is pretty much what youd expect.
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif

Best response ever...I mean EVER lol.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I once used trim secrets and lost a lot of weight, but that's because I followed the very strict diet plan that came with it. How to starve yourself. Never again
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    I don't need a diet pill. I need an exercise pill. FO REALZ YO LOLOLOLOLOL
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Diet pills. Not even once.
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO! Just eat non processed foods and get plenty of exercise! And of course use MyFitnessPal to help you keep track of what you are doing.