Getting out of your head while running?

Options
13»

Replies

• docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hate running an absolutely have this problem (about being in my own head while doing it). Some things that have helped me have already been mentioned, especially the DON'T START TOO FAST!! Even when doing a 5K race, I have noticed that taking it slow the first mile makes a HUGE difference for the rest of the run. Certainly, for me, company makes it MUCH easier to keep going, but in the absence of that, I do like having a fun playlist that pumps me up and motivates me to keep going. Finally, when I am thinking of stopping too early, what I often do is give myself a series of mini challenges ... Just do this next hill, make it to the next big intersection, etc. and as I push through that immediate challenge, I find I can keep going after that. But the biggest thing is JUST SLOW DOWN! Remember, you aren't trying to win it, just go the distance :-) Good luck!!!
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Slow down and get through a 5K, even if it takes 35 or 40 minutes, to break that mental barrier. Just being a bit less breathless makes a huge difference to feeling whether you can go on. Then slowly build up to your usual speed. 5K in 30 minutes is a great achievement!

Another mental trick is to break early. Walk for a minute or 30 seconds after 15 minutes, then run the rest.

For distractions, I use the "Zombies, Run!" app. you don't need to have the zombie chases switched on, the alternating between a minute or so of story that you have to pay attention between your music playlist tracks makes all the difference.

I was going to say exactly this. Minus the zombie part, but I like that too!!
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I always listen to podcasts when running. I hate running, and whilst I'm doing it all I can think about is how much I hate it. Music just gets lost in the background. With a podcast (would work the same with an audiobook I presume) it's something I actually have to concentrate on, works as a good distraction.

^this! People find it so weird that I listen to talk radio (like NPR) podcasts, but for me, they make the time fly much more than music, which I seem to drown out. Find a few that you like and have them ready on your ipod!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I found last summer when I was really comfortable with the 3.1mile run I was doing, my brain would start to anticipate the end of the run and get really tired. I would see the landmarks and know I was close to the end. So, I did a few things to change it up.....

(1) Changed my route. I actually just ran it backwards to change up the image recognition in my brain. The neighbor's house was no longer the stopping pint -- it was just the beginning, Baby!

(2) Committed to running 3.5 no matter what. So, the stopping point was no longer the stopping point. Take THAT brain! I ran past my house by .25 miles and then ran back.

(3) Registered for another race. Knowing I paid money to run keeps the motivation high -- I really don't want to waste that $20.......
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    For distractions, I use the "Zombies, Run!" app. you don't need to have the zombie chases switched on, the alternating between a minute or so of story that you have to pay attention between your music playlist tracks makes all the difference.

I echo the "Zombies, Run!" app :) it's fun.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I listen to audiobooks when running, I want to hear the story so I run as long as possible. Also means I can't hear the voice in my head telling me I'm tired etc.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I tell myself a couple things:

You don't stop when you are tired, you stop when you are done.

You are uncomfortable but you aren't dying.

Then I swear at things I'm mad at and it give me a bit of a push.

I imagine there is a crowd cheering me on.

Suck it up lady, you've been through worse.

Those are my mantras!
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If I'm really struggling, I'll play some mental games with myself.

One way is to tell myself "just run for another xx minutes, feet, to that sign, etc. THEN you can walk/quit/go home". By the time I've reached that, I can usually convince my self to do "just a little more", and then a little more....then, before I know it, I'm done!

I'll also do things like work on my meal plan for the coming week, make a To Do list for after my run (that also helps me keep going, so I can procrastinate on my housework!), listen to my ipod and try really hard to concentrate on the lyrics....anything!

Some days, I can also recognize that it's just not in the cards and I'll have to give it another go tomorrow.
  • saralayne42
    saralayne42 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I get that way as well and my fix makes a person look insane, but I don't care. I have to say (aloud and repeatedly) "shut up brain!" and "you can do this, just keep going". I know I look crazy, but it helps.

Good luck and great job!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I run on a trail where there's always other people. If I start to feel like you're describing, I pick a person ahead of me and tell myself to not let that person out of my sight. Giving my brain something else to focus on and a very specific, instantaneous goal to meet makes a huge difference.