Putting a child on MFP

My two kids are fighting the same weight fight that I am. My wife and I are trying to teach them how to eat right but I fear they have the mental block about food I do. I have to keep a journal to really put a finger on my food intake and not cheat. I think my eldest is mature enough to see this and she wants to lose weight. She sees what I am doing and the changes that are happening. She is also VERY goal oriented. My youngest is not near as mature and a free spirit, but she sees her older sister as a role model.

They both dance two to three times a week, plus in are the "Run Club" at school (which equate to about a 1/2 mile a day for my youngest and a mile or so for my eldest). However, they are fat. Fat enough the doctor's give us the evil eye when we take them in for check ups (and they should).

What are your thoughts about starting children on MFP?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    No. www.sparkteens.com I don't know your children's ages, but that site would be more age appropriate.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    MFP is designed for 18+. There is sparkteen.com that is for 13-18. I am thinking of showing that to my daughter (actually 12 1/2 yr old). That might work better for your kids.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    some of the things i see on this site.. i would NEVER allow kids to come here.. i think sparks would be better.. good luck..
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    How old are your kids?

If they are 8 then I think it's a waste. They are kids and you have to lead by example.

My son is 14, not super active. But I've started to get on to him about his bowls of chips and tons of nutella.

The other day we were shopping and a super obese person walked by. She was definately unhealthy. Her hair was stringy and her skin was greasy. I told my son "you know...I never want you to worry about your weight, but I want you to be concerned about your health. THAT is unhealthy."

My son was thick, but not fat, from about 9-12. Now he's getting taller and thinning out.

Also, I would just say to be careful since they are girls. Sadly we can start to become obsessed early. don't make it about losing weight, make it about healthy choices.

And there are foods that I love as Cheats. But the better I eat mostly, the less I want those things. I don't like to call them cheats, I call them "treats!"
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 549 Member
    I think it is wonderful that you want to help your children develop a healthy lifestyle and that you are leading by example. Dance and the Run Club are both great activities. I don't know what to say about having them be on MFP or another online service, although I think MFP discourages children from signing up. Maybe I would advise letting them watch you progress and you could share with them the wisdom you get from MFP without them being directly connected. Emphasize how you feel better and are pleased with your progress, and play and make healthy meals with them to show them the rewards of your healthy choices. I wish your family the best and am proud of you for taking action.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    How old? If 14 plus, not prone to disorders and reasonably responsible, I see no problem with it. Given this place is moderated with a massive hammer and anything remotely adult disappears within seconds the whole "only suitable for 18+" idea is ludicrous.

I'd rather kids were here, learning about nutrition and getting advice from people who knew stuff than spending their nights on thinspo tumblrs.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    How old? If 14 plus, not prone to disorders and reasonably responsible, I see no problem with it. Given this place is moderated with a massive hammer and anything remotely adult disappears within seconds the whole "only suitable for 18+" idea is ludicrous.

I'd rather kids were here, learning about nutrition and getting advice from people who knew stuff than spending their nights on thinspo tumblrs.

The reason it is 18 plus is because it is programmed for an adults body needs not a child's.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Nope. MFP is for adults, not children. Depending on their age, I suggest a professional or sparkteens.com.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    This site is not for kids, there is a reply that had a site for children...
    Given that, my son is in the school running club and they do "3" miles every Thursday (I have run with them--it is actually closer to 4 miles). 1/2 - 1 mile isn't much. Maybe you can talk to the coach about increasing that. You can help by good food choices, as well as supporting the running but going with them on days they don't run in the club. Sign them up for 5K races--they are fun. Go with them. Make exercise the family time together, not (just) meals.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    I don't know how old your children are, but I would prefer to lead by example than sign them up to any calorie-counting website. If they are under 18, they are still growing, and it's far too young to be worrying about calorie amounts and exercise burns.

Teach them what a balanced diet is and make them aware of healthy foods, encourage them in an exercise they enjoy, and you've got something sustainable there. Teaching children to count calories screams 'eating disorder waiting to happen' to me.
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Ultimately, if there isn't junk in the house , and they are staying active , you would think they would start to lose weight naturally. I agree that you have to approach this carefully, because girls can become obsessed with their weight quite young.

I don't think mfp is the way to go if they are under 18 . Also , apart from regular exercise and monitoring their food intake, i'd be hesitant to push them too much until they are almost done puberty...they still have a few inches to grow , and they may begin to thin out naturally. Ultimately if you, the parents, stop buying ANY junk food for the house,(and they are therefore fueling their body with healthy food) and they are active regularly, you would think the weight would start to drop off.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I don't know how old your children are, but I would prefer to lead by example than sign them up to any calorie-counting website. If they are under 18, they are still growing, and it's far too young to be worrying about calorie amounts and exercise burns.

Teach them what a balanced diet is and make them aware of healthy foods, encourage them in an exercise they enjoy, and you've got something sustainable there. Teaching children to count calories screams 'eating disorder waiting to happen' to me.

This, if they see mom and dad eating healthier and being more active, they will probably join in. Have them help out with cooking at home and do active things together as a family.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    My son could stand to lose some weight. He is almost 14 so I can't be in total charge of what he eats and he spends a lot if time at school. I would never put him on here to count calories. I am mentally counting some of his meals cause its coming second nature to count. I am starting to measure and weigh some of his portions to keep them the right size. He can out eat me but being I weigh 25 lbs more than him I am not sure he should. You can help your children make healthier food choices and be aware of calories without getting them counting. If your children are overweight then your most likely giving them too much food. The younger they are the easier it should be able to fix. Even though my son is bigger than what he should be I know we are doing right with our choices based on that he isn't out weighing me like I have seen some other children doing.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    It's against the TOS, so no.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    I think it is wonderful that you want to help your children develop a healthy lifestyle and that you are leading by example. Dance and the Run Club are both great activities. I don't know what to say about having them be on MFP or another online service, although I think MFP discourages children from signing up. Maybe I would advise letting them watch you progress and you could share with them the wisdom you get from MFP without them being directly connected. Emphasize how you feel better and are pleased with your progress, and play and make healthy meals with them to show them the rewards of your healthy choices. I wish your family the best and am proud of you for taking action.

Is it really that wonderful? Or is it his job as a parent?
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member

A)things dont disappear within seconds...seriously DYEF?
    B) given the number of creeps here I would worry about them being approached by PM.
    C) their needs are different than that of an adult
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

Define disorders please.
    Because I developed my issues with food at 14 (restriction, diet pills). You can be prone to develop at eating disorder at any age.

I totally agree with leading by example.
    If my mother had done that instead of poking fun at my weight and inability to do a push up/ssit up, I might have gone a different route than I did.

They quite possibly aren't done growing so as thry grow in height, they could slim out as well....
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Just on the forums side, I say no. Even though, as a previous poster said, mods keep a pretty heavy hammer and most "adult" stuff is tossed quickly, I wouldn't recommend anyone under 18 here. Some people have received pretty adult-themed PMs here, and that just opens up a whole can of worms, both for the minor receiving it and the person sending it if the minor lied and said they were 18.

Regarding calorie counting, I'd recommend sparkteens for your kid(s), if anything. If they're active and eating relatively good foods at home, not munching on snacks constantly, they should lean out naturally and not need to worry about it right now. You don't want them to obsess too much at a young age, but helping them learn basic nutrition wouldn't be a terrible idea.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Sparkteens.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I think putting your child on a site nutritionally designed for adults, where they can be creeped on by who the f knows (perverts, proana/mias) is one of the worst parenting ideas ever.
This discussion has been closed.