GMO's - Help?!

Options
124»

Replies

• arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Organic, non GMO as much as possible..yep, it costs more, but I want my food the way God made it, not a scientist. Farmers markets and stores like Safeway that carry a good selection of organic are awesome.

God made Safeway?

I missed it - which day of creation was that?

It was on the 8th day, right after He made ding dongs.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a clean diet. Most of what I cook and eat at home is organic. It's a choice I've made. There are some foods I won't pay extra for and other I don't like to eat if it's not organic. For me, there's a big difference in the way apples taste. I've had people stay with us and ask what type of apples I buy bc they also noticed a difference. That's just my experience. I'm sure others have different views to share. To each his own!:flowerforyou:
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it may vary by area but I have a pretty healthy food budget and I could not afford to eat only non-GMO / organic. There is no Trader Joes or Whole Foods, or stores of that nature in my area, though.

There are a few things that I specifically buy organic or nothing, but generally I just look for whatever is on sale. And each year I grow more of my own produce and try to eat more wild or home-raised game.

Farmed fish and meat raised on hormones and antibiotics worries me more than GMO produce.

Plus wild/grass fed animals generally taste better. I have never noticed a real difference in organic produce taste.

Yes so true and the reason that I buy cage free eggs and special milk in a glass bottle, But all my fruits and vegetables are from winco lol nice and cheep:drinker:
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    x2 eat organic as much as you can. You actually save money since they keep you full longer.

I think this is the only anti-organic anti-clean eating forum on the planet. I'm surprised the admins are allowing this forum to go this route. Some dude on another thread was talking about doctors brainwashing people to eat veggies, and 300 of his friends are cheering him on. kinda pathetic.
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    x2 eat organic as much as you can. You actually save money since they keep you full longer.

I think this is the only anti-organic anti-clean eating forum on the planet. I'm surprised the admins are allowing this forum to go this route. Some dude on another thread was talking about doctors brainwashing people to eat veggies, and 300 of his friends are cheering him on. kinda pathetic.

Thank you! I've actually rcvd several private messages within the past 24 hours from people (avoiding the message boards) with similar advice. I'm really looking forward to eating clean but I know I can't change everything overnight. Baby steps!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options

How does organic keep you full longer?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Thank you! I've actually rcvd several private messages within the past 24 hours from people (avoiding the message boards) with similar advice. I'm really looking forward to eating clean but I know I can't change everything overnight. Baby steps!

The reason people PM that advice is because they know their advice cannot stand to public scrutiny.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anything with HFCS in it, anything fried, anything processed is pretty much going to have GMO in it.

Anything fried?

I believe corn oil, from GMO corn, is a commonly-used component in commercial fried food.

Oh, commercial fried foods. That is different than just fried foods.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I suppose I'm just a little dissapointed, I was hoping to get some insight from people who have been eating clean (organic, non-GMO, whatever you want to call it) & get THEIR point of view on things - I'm interested in how it's been working for them... Is that so bad?

Point of view on what, exactly? The human body can't tell the difference between GMO and non-GMO.

Interested in how you could know this.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    The bigger issue with GMO's and GE foods isn't necessarily how it impacts your body. There's research to show it might be harmful, and research to show it's perfectly safe.

What GE foods do rather effectively is harm small farmers, promote globalization in ways that cause food insecurity for millions of people, and perpetuate a cycle of dependence on mega-corporations who have a very clear, profit driven business model.

A lot of people don't care about those issues, and that's honestly fine. 99% of food is going to be "problematic" in those ways and it's basically impossible to avoid Monsanto, etc.

If you want to cut down on GMOs and GE foods for any reason, be it because you believe it harmful to your health or you want to promote a more stable food system, your best bet is to seek out farmers markets, CSAs, co-ops, etc. Places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods offer some organic (non-GMO) products but they are still farmed in the same mega-farm & monocrop manner. It depends on your priorities, your options, and your beliefs. This is an extremely contentious issue and you can honestly find legitimate information to back up almost any viewpoint.

I agree with the farmers market statement! I think their fruits and veggies are fresher and tastier too.

Produce at a farmer's market is usually (though not always) locally grown and thereby fresher. But it is not necessarily organic or non-GMO.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Because the marketing of it increases the smug quotient, and don't you know, smug is full fat, so it keeps you satiated.

DUH. Science!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Because the marketing of it increases the smug quotient, and don't you know, smug is full fat, so it keeps you satiated.

DUH. Science!

Being smug because you think you are smart enough not to care about GMO isn't really much different than being smug because you think your are smart enough to care.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

DUH. Science!

Being smug because you think you are smart enough not to care about GMO isn't really much different than being smug because you think your are smart enough to care.

But it is different than being so smug you actually think organic food keeps you full longer.
  • bcattoes
    Options

DUH. Science!

But it is different than being so smug you actually think organic food keeps you full longer.

That sounds more like being misinformed than being smug. But smug is smug IMO.