How can I speed up my weight loss without exercise?

Options
I know it sounds bad of me but I really hate exercising.. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I desperately want to lose weight so I signed up with MFP last month and started my diet on Jan. 24th. Since then I have lost 8.6 pounds by eating the same foods as always, just less of it. I have made a few changes to my diet though, like oatmeal, fruit, more water, and whole wheat spaghetti instead of regular. I'm ashamed of how big I've gotten and trust me, I do want to lose weight, but I want to do it in the least painful way possible. Is there any way I can speed up my weight loss without adding exercise or drastically changing everything I eat?? I know to some this may sound silly but for me I feel like the speed I'm currently at is just not fast enough. At this rate it will take me half a year to get to my goal and that's IF I don't plateau completely (I'm nearly certain I will at some point). My weight has already been fluctuating up and down two pounds and thoroughly confusing the heck out of me. On another note I'd like to add that lately I do feel full faster than I used to but at the same time I get hungry pretty fast too. Ever since I started this diet I feel so hungry and there are times I want to just binge but I deal with it, it's just so hard when you feel so hungry at night and it's hard to sleep because of it. I'm starting to ramble now so I will end this post. If anyone can give me advice on what to do I would truly appreciate it!

Replies

• missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you can do to speed up weight loss without a more drastic diet change or adding exercise?

Nope.

And that was a very silly question.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    amputation

ETA: nevermind, you said least painful way possible, so I guess this solution is out. Here's another thought, though (and it's gonna sound harsh, but seems like you need a reality check). Pull up your big girl pants, stop whining, and get yourself some exercise. Yes, you can lose all your weight without it, but you won't have the body you want. And exercise doesn't have to be "painful", it can be quite rewarding in more ways than just weight loss.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Most weight loss comes from your eating, not exercise.
    That being said, your body may or may not look like crap if you lose a bunch of weight without working out at all.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    You have three options open to you:

(1) Eat less and be even more hungry and miserable.

(2) Suck it up and realize that you got 55 lbs overweight because of the habits you're still employing: namely the laziness issue. Do what you have to do to remedy that and then be able to eat a reasonable amount of food, feel great, and be in better shape than ever when you're done.

(3) Stay fat.

Really, I doubt you're going to get a lot of sympathy for laziness on here. Weight loss requires hard work, no matter how you slice it. Just like life, you can't have the results without putting in the work.
  • frenchfancy123
    frenchfancy123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    successful weight loss is a slow process. it didnt take you a few months to gain the weight so it wont take you a few months to lose it. If you let us see your diary then we could advise but until then i would recommend setting your calorie goal to at least your bmr and taking it from there
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You can put forth some effort to change yourself? There's no magic pill. You won't suddenly wake up one morning and lose all the weight just like that. Cut out the laziness.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you can stick to it. just go crash course. Iron will power and live in a complete hellscape of life.
    In the end you will probably look a bit weird with some saggy lose skin. Just get that cut off with surgery.
  • ZeldaMarooner7
    Options
    Can't you guys be nice on here?! Gosh...

Sticking to your normal diet is good, but a little bit of exercise is needed. Even just walking on the treadmill for 10 minutes will help.
  • JohnsElan
    Options
    Salmonella poisoning brings rapid weight loss ... but its quite uncomfortable. No. I wouldn't advise it.:noway:
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    You did't put the pounds on over night- they won't come off over night.

You've basicallly stated that you want to lose weight but not change anything to do so. If you want to achieve your weight loss than you have to put the work in. Stop being lazy, get up off your a** and move. If you don't like exercise, than go for a walk around the block, walk up and down the stairs. Yes, it might hurt starting out with because your muscles have atrophied due to lack of use, but the more you use them, the easier it will be, and the farther and harder you can push yourself.

While I commend that you have been eating less- this is a life style change and not a diet. So once you think you have gotten to a place where you can make changes to your diet, then start incorporating more whole foods, fruits and veggies, and keep within the recommended portion sizes.

Nothing will make the weight come off quickly, and unless you put the work in, you won't get results. There is no room for laziness when you want to make yourself healthy.

Sorry if this comes off as rude, but sometimes we all need a little push, and sugar coating it won't help you in the long run.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Weight loss comes from calories in vs. calories out. So your body burns so many calories just to stay alive and if you cut that amount you will lose. However, if you aren't going to exercise there isn't another way to lose more or faster. You cannot cut your calories too low or you will just harm yourself. So you have to come up with another way to have a bigger deficit of calories. For most that is exercise. If you are totally against that then I would try to be happy with what you are doing and how much you have lost already.
  • jrdburrow
    Options
    If there was a way to do it without making drastic changes, why would anyone actually do it the hard way.

Start small. If you can't exercise for 30 min a day, start with 5. And then 5.5, then 6, etc. Slowly work your way up and you won't even notice, before long you'll start noticing you like working out and feel bad on days you don't.

Trust me, I used to hate it. Now I'm 30 lbs smaller and losing every day and if I don't get a chance to go to the gym I end up feeling like crap!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Salmonella poisoning brings rapid weight loss ... but its quite uncomfortable. No. I wouldn't advise it.:noway:

Malaria?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you were desperate, you'd exercise, wouldn't you?

Either way, exercise doesn't necessarily speed up weight loss; it just allows you to eat more calories while still losing weight. Of course, depending on what you'd do, it'd also provide cardiovascular benefits and/or preservation of muscle... all incredibly important things to one's health, regardless of weight.

You can work on the laziness issue by starting small and building up to any form of exercise. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. Whatever.

But I think the main problem you need to work on is the mindset of "now" and "desperate." Many people want to lose weight. The people who fail are the ones who want it all immediately and then give up, or go down the path of an eating disorder.

You've lost almost 9 pounds in less than a month. You're losing weight faster than probably half of the people using MFP perfectly. If anything, you're losing quite fast.

Look around and get some perspective on how fast people really lose weight (outside of, you know, advertisements or The Biggest Loser).
  • SaiSrini
    SaiSrini Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds bad of me but I really hate exercising.. I'll admit it, I'm lazy. I desperately want to lose weight so I signed up with MFP last month and started my diet on Jan. 24th. Since then I have lost 8.6 pounds by eating the same foods as always, just less of it. I have made a few changes to my diet though, like oatmeal, fruit, more water, and whole wheat spaghetti instead of regular. I'm ashamed of how big I've gotten and trust me, I do want to lose weight, but I want to do it in the least painful way possible. Is there any way I can speed up my weight loss without adding exercise or drastically changing everything I eat?? I know to some this may sound silly but for me I feel like the speed I'm currently at is just not fast enough. At this rate it will take me half a year to get to my goal and that's IF I don't plateau completely (I'm nearly certain I will at some point). My weight has already been fluctuating up and down two pounds and thoroughly confusing the heck out of me. On another note I'd like to add that lately I do feel full faster than I used to but at the same time I get hungry pretty fast too. Ever since I started this diet I feel so hungry and there are times I want to just binge but I deal with it, it's just so hard when you feel so hungry at night and it's hard to sleep because of it. I'm starting to ramble now so I will end this post. If anyone can give me advice on what to do I would truly appreciate it!

I would rather advise you to get rid of your laziness to exercise. Let me ask a few questions:

1. What do you like to do for fun? Listen to music, watch movies? If its music, get a good mp3 player (or smartphone which has music capabilities) and listen to it while working out.

For working out, break it into 5 different parts. Walk 5 mins in the morning after breakfast, 5 mins after lunch, 5 mins in the afternoon, 5 mins in the evening and 5 mins after dinner. That's 25 mins of workout for the day. And walk at a decent pace (don't stroll; but also don't walk too fast because you will end up burning yourself out).

By this, eating at your goal calories becomes easier because you get extra calories to eat due to your exercise. Quite a few people say "don't eat back your exercise calories". But that's BS to me. As long as I am in the goal calorie range (I try to maintain a 100 or more calorie deficit with my goal to account for incorrect food logs), I should lose weight. And GO SLOW! Rapid weight loss is unhealthy. 2-3 pounds per week of weight loss is healthy and acceptable.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you have to eat at a calorie deficit (eat less than you burn).

You should really exercise though. Not just for weight loss, but for health and fitness. But you don't need to do so to lose weight.

Just remember, there's nothing wrong with losing weight at a reasonable pace. You're not in a race, and the more moderate and balanced your diet is, the more likely it is that you will be able to maintain it. If you subscribe to a very restrictive diet (and follow it properly), you will lose a lot of weight and maybe quickly, but it's going to come back on once you start eating normally. Persons who are most successful at maintaining weight loss tend to have lost their weight at a slower pace and tend to follow more balanced, less "extreme", less restrictive diets. Slower, yes - but ultimately better.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Crystal Meth. I think they sell it at wal-mart.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You lost 8 pounds in 4 weeks, is that accurate? Congratulations! That's right on track with where you should be, already.
  • airforceman1978
    airforceman1978 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ok I now you sad you hate exercise but here's what I am doing. I am 100% disabled I walk 2 miles a day but do it in 10 minute Increments. I can't walk more then 15 minutes at a time and once you lose weight it becomes easier. I have lost 45 pounds sense January 1 my diet is probably stricter then yours but to each there own get a 5 pound dumbbell and set on couch which TV and left it in a curl 15 times small things make a big deference
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    eat less. you'll lose muscle but if you are just worried about losing weight....that's the way.