People At The Gym Don't Count Calories

Options
124»

Replies

• smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I like this question a lot and my reply is in opposition to most other replies in this thread.

I signed up for mfp in 2009. Prior to that I was on WW and lost 10lbs. When I stopped I gained it back plus 30 more. I would count calories for a while (a couple of weeks) then stop. A few months later would do it again for a week or two and even stop (I would count, jump on the scale after a week, and give up on counting b/c of minimal progress). I found I would get grumpy and a bit depressed because I would feel that my self worth was determined by the number on the scale.

Then I contacted a fitness counselor. She gave me a gym regimen and diet guidelines. I have been going to the gym regularly, have not been counting calories, and have been gradually (but slowly) incorporating the food guidelines into everyday life (i.e. buying more organic food) I still jump on the scale and my weight hadn't changed. BUT I have gained muscle in my legs and arms and have lost some fat.

A lady I know is currently on WW. She has lost a good deal of weight but does have a bit to go. So often I hear about how hungry she is, how she can't snack bc she doesn't have enough points. She stresses about it all the time. I just don't find it worth it

I find counting calories to be stressful and time consuming and is not a successful tool for me and I have been much happier since I stopped countin
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Started counting calories & exercising and lost 120 lbs (over 3 years).
    Kept exercising, but stopped counting calories and re-gained 45 lbs (over next 5 years).
    Started counting calories again and dropped 22 lbs and counting (in last 3 months).
    Working out has been constant, but the calorie counting keeps my intake under control.
    Hope that helps.