Calorie Burn- Working at a restaurant?

Options

Replies

• SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    I can't set it at lightly active because I'm not always working. So on days where I don't have work, I just do light activities, which I would presume would make me sedentary. If you aren't supposed to count work, then why does MFP give you the option to record the amount of calories you burn cleaning?

You do to count cleaning either, or cooking, or just any normal activity. Count actual exercise only.
    Please explain, clearly, how 5 hours of physical exertion from work is not burning calories, while 5 hours of gym time is.

Haha my mom is a house cleaner and she logs all of her house cleaning activities separately. So it made sense to me log it separately. But I don't know. Clearly I'm not an expert.
    For the record, I agree with you. I think those who claim that only 'intentional exercise' counts often have a poor understanding of how many calories daily activities can burn, and also tend to unintentionally separate out traditionally gender-divided chores into 'exercise/not exercise' based on which gender traditionally filled those roles.

If your daily activity is set to sedentary, then you would be ok logging activities such as cleaning. But, if you do that for a living or if cleaning is part of your daily activity and you've set your activity level accordingly, then, no, you wouldn't log it since it would be double counting the activity.

OP: Please take the advice of others. You don't need to lose more weight.

Yes, I agree with you on the exercise thing. When I work with her, I log all of that exercise separately since I'm usually sedentary and that's what my activity level is. I'm glad to hear someone agrees with me on that.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    haha I rarely eat over 3000 calories. I usually net about 800-1000. Just wondering if I should up that a bit after a 5 1/2 hr shift.
    thats not enough

how tall are you and what is your weight?

6ft. About 128lbs I think.
    oh sweetie...and you still want weight to come off?

please get help:flowerforyou:

No... I just wanted to overcome my binging problem. I've gained 8lbs since coming on here. I used to be 120lbs.
    Just trying to find out how much I should be eating to maintain, plus my activities at work. Although, I'm having a hard enough time eating 1000 calories.

Maintaining 128lbs at your height isn't healthy either. Cranq is right, you do need to get help. I think it's wonderful you have gained 8lbs, but you shouldn't be focused on maintaining at this point. Not until you are at a healthy weight and eating more.

My doctor told me I was a good weight and could strive to maintain now...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    haha I rarely eat over 3000 calories. I usually net about 800-1000. Just wondering if I should up that a bit after a 5 1/2 hr shift.
    thats not enough

No... I just wanted to overcome my binging problem. I've gained 8lbs since coming on here. I used to be 120lbs.
    Just trying to find out how much I should be eating to maintain, plus my activities at work. Although, I'm having a hard enough time eating 1000 calories.

Again, you need to seek help. The "feeling" of hunger is not a good indicator of actual hunger. You don't have to eat large meals, but you need to eat more, period. Snack. Have high fat foods. Personally, I've been enjoying ice cream shakes with soy milk. High cal, very flavorful, and decent nutrients.

You need to eat more. You are starving your body and damaging yourself.

This is good advice.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    Are you going to call us all meanies for not supporting your obviously unhealthy lifestyle???

No not at all. And I'm not unhealthy... I do eat healthy stuff and exercise. I just have a hard time eating over 1000 calories.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    thats not enough

Maintaining 128lbs at your height isn't healthy either. Cranq is right, you do need to get help. I think it's wonderful you have gained 8lbs, but you shouldn't be focused on maintaining at this point. Not until you are at a healthy weight and eating more.

:huh: I find it hard to believe that a doctor would encourage someone to maintain an unhealthy weight and eat under their basic needs. Does your doctor understand that you get dizzy spells just from working a short shift? Get a second opinion.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    thats not enough

:huh: I find it hard to believe that a doctor would encourage someone to maintain an unhealthy weight and eat under their basic needs. Does your doctor understand that you get dizzy spells just from working a short shift? Get a second opinion.

She said my weight was fine for my height. But I'll try a second opinion.
    I've always had dizzy spells, even when I was heavier. Just a thing I accepted as normal.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Are you going to call us all meanies for not supporting your obviously unhealthy lifestyle???

No not at all. And I'm not unhealthy... I do eat healthy stuff and exercise. I just have a hard time eating over 1000 calories.

That is not healthy.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options
    thats not enough

I've always had dizzy spells, even when I was heavier. Just a thing I accepted as normal.

Dizzy spells are not normal. If she thinks your height for your weight is fine, then it's likely her dietary training was less than what I got at massage school. Try and find a registered dietitian to speak to.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    thats not enough

i am glad you are willing to get a second opinion. That weight is not even close to healthy for a woman your height.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    A second opinion definitely can't hurt. As mentioned by some of the more "whipped into a froth" posters, dizzy spells aren't normal. Also, just a personal thought, but maybe going for a specific weight isn't the most optimal plan for you. Maybe you'd be better served healthwise by choosing a reasonable level of bodyfat, and going for that.
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options

That is not healthy.

I'm working on it :)
    I will seek out a second opinion from another doctor. Thanks everyone.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    thats not enough

^^ Why are you trying to lose weight anyways!?!?! I am 6 ft tall and currently 186 with a goal weight of 160... I think you have more to worry about than whether or not you log your work shift... Please talk to a doctor or get on a more scheduled eating plan... 800-1000 calories and you are 6 ft. = long term damage to your body. Period. :noway:
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    A second opinion definitely can't hurt. As mentioned by some of the more "whipped into a froth" posters, dizzy spells aren't normal. Also, just a personal thought, but maybe going for a specific weight isn't the most optimal plan for you. Maybe you'd be better served healthwise by choosing a reasonable level of bodyfat, and going for that.

Just always thought they were normal because I always have had them, and my mom suffers from it as well. We've just accepted it as how our bodies work I guess.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    at this point, i'm going to say: print off your food diary and take it to a nutritionist who has a history of helping ppl overcome ED.

the previous "binging problem", the very low weight, and the fact that you don't "feel hungry" even when you're to the point of feeling faint... these all point to long-term issues from the ED you're recovering from. you need a professional who can help you work through this stuff. who can get you to where you're able to eat at a life-sustaining caloric intake. b/c honey, you are not there yet. these things take professionals for a reason. like any other compulsive issue, you don't see the patterns in your life. that's part of the disease. you need that trained third-party's eye.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

Just always thought they were normal because I always have had them, and my mom suffers from it as well. We've just accepted it as how our bodies work I guess.

I used to get dizzy spells. No clue from what, and I went through a barrage of tests. Best guess is that it was blood pressure related, but I wasn't under weight and ate quite a bit so I doubt it was food related. I'm glad that you're willing to seek another opinion on this. :flowerforyou:
  • SKINNYsupermodel
    Options
    at this point, i'm going to say: print off your food diary and take it to a nutritionist who has a history of helping ppl overcome ED.

the previous "binging problem", the very low weight, and the fact that you don't "feel hungry" even when you're to the point of feeling faint... these all point to long-term issues from the ED you're recovering from. you need a professional who can help you work through this stuff. who can get you to where you're able to eat at a life-sustaining caloric intake. b/c honey, you are not there yet. these things take professionals for a reason. like any other compulsive issue, you don't see the patterns in your life. that's part of the disease. you need that trained third-party's eye.

But I don't have an eating disorder. Compared to most people, I eat like a normal person.
    Except for the chocolate addiction haha.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    thats not enough

You are underweight and do not need to lose weight you need to put it on. 6 feet @ 128 pounds is a bmi of 17.4. recommended range would be 18.5 - 24.9. Your bodies lethargy and not feeling hungry is a sign you are not eating enough
    a quick look at the IIFY TDEE calculator shows a bmr of 1640 and a tdee of 2250 (and it's a pretty basic calculator) So you are eating about half what you should. You probably should seek help from someone to build a plan to get a balanced diet that work for you.

Edit - I see I'm repeating the smae as the post you answered above - They are right you need to seek advice from an expert
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Just to comment on the dizzy spells, there are other reasons other than lack of nutrition to get them. I've also gotten dizzy spells my entire life due to inner ear problems. Rapid temperature/pressure changes in the weather will give me moderate to severe vertigo.

That being said, OP still needs to eat more, because there's no way you can get all the proper nutrition with so few calories/day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

But I don't have an eating disorder. Compared to most people, I eat like a normal person.

First step is admitting you have a problem.
  • DamianaKitten
    Options

Eating at an extreme deficit is not normal. You may eat normal foods, but you aren't eating enough of it.