thoughts on asparagus?

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    But only about one-quarter of the population appears to have the special gene that allows them to smell those compounds. So the issue isn't whether or not your pee is smelly; it's whether you're able to smell it. If you smell a funny fragrance in your urine after you eat asparagus, you're not only normal, you have a good nose.

My Mummy always said I was special.....
  • 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What's good about asparagus ? Pantothenic Acid, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Selenium, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese......pretty much everything....it has little to no sodium or cholesterol..
    TASTE? Every food, and I mean every, is about the herbs and spices used. Asparagus does not have a strong taste, the tips are the best parts of the plant to eat. The further down the shoot you eat the more difficult to chew, but the tips are very tender. The best way to eat most vegetable is raw. Add some asparagus tips in your salads. IF you choose to cook asparagus just a flash (quick) in and out of a hot iron skillet and season to taste. EXPERIMENT WITH FLAVORS ON YOUR VEGETABLES...AgingWithoutDisease.com
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I wrap them in bacon and make a sweet sauce and bake them I will post the recipe they are remarkably low in calories
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    asparagus.gif

^ That almost made me giggle.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think asparagus is a polarizing issue. :laugh: I LOVE it. Only the fresh kind though. I grill it or roast it with olive oil.

My husband HATES it. But then, he hates most veggies.
  • Denjo060
    Options
    I wrap them in bacon and make a sweet sauce and bake them I will post the recipe they are remarkably low in calories

Here is the recipe
    It serves 10 and you can use real bacon instead if you want

Raw - Asparagas 4 Spears, 40 spears
    Best Yet - Golden Light Brown Sugar, 5 tbsp
    La Choy - Light Soy Sauce, 1 tblsp
    Land O Lakes - Butter (1/2 Sticks), 8 Tbsp
    Garlic - Powder - Generic, 1 tsp
    Butterball - Thin & Crispy Everyday Turkey Bacon, 20 Slices
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is very expensive right now. About April, the price will be about a third of what it is now. I like mine steamed in a frying pan, then drained and seasoned with melted butter, granulated garlic and lemon pepper.
  • ClaudiaTheNice
    Options
    I love it when it's prepared by someone who knows what they are doing. My mother makes delicious asparagus. But when I make it, it tastes horrible.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Makes my pee smell funny...

that being said, it makes a delicious lower-carb accompaniment when cooked wrapped in smoked bacon with some parmesan.

Oh, yums! I also like my Brussels sprouts like that too.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    my thoughts on asparagus: it's yummy, especially cooked in butter and garlic salt. but it makes my pee stink.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    my thoughts = nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom
  • Denjo060
    Options

Here is the recipe
    It serves 10 and you can use real bacon instead if you want

Raw - Asparagas 4 Spears, 40 spears
    Best Yet - Golden Light Brown Sugar, 5 tbsp
    La Choy - Light Soy Sauce, 1 tblsp
    Land O Lakes - Butter (1/2 Sticks), 8 Tbsp
    Garlic - Powder - Generic, 1 tsp
    Butterball - Thin & Crispy Everyday Turkey Bacon, 20 Slices

Sorry I guess I should have posted how to prepare them (Its early)
    Melt together the brown sugar
    Soy sauce
    Butter
    and Garlic
    Take 4 asparagus spears and wrap a slice of bacon around them to keep the bundles together lay them in a baking tray and pour the sauce over them Bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes or until bacon is done and asparagus is tender
    They are only 158 calories a bundle if you make them with Turkey Bacon.
    You can find this recipe on the Food Network Under Trisha Yearwood recipes
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    It tastes like unicorns and rainbows in my mouth. They are good plain with just a little salt and pepper. You can add butter, minced garlic, squeeze of lemon, or wrap them in BACON! You can broil them, bake them, grill them or microwave them to thew tenderness you prefer. So delicious, all of them.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Makes my pee smell funny...

that being said, it makes a delicious lower-carb accompaniment when cooked wrapped in smoked bacon with some parmesan.

Oh, yums! I also like my Brussels sprouts like that too.

Brussels and bacon (pancetta cubed is great with this too) if not too OT, is effing delicious. I don't know why people give them such a hard time. My favourite bit of Christmas dinner!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is one of my favorite vegetables as long as you don't over cook it. It's good raw or lightly sauteed in olive oil or roasted. Gets mushy if you over cook it.

Canned is digusting mush. :sick:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Asparagus is very expensive right now. About April, the price will be about a third of what it is now. I like mine steamed in a frying pan, then drained and seasoned with melted butter, granulated garlic and lemon pepper.

Come to AZ, it's already cheap and in season here, nyah, nyah! :tongue:
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I second this: the first time I tried asparagus was canned and then I boiled the stew out of it. The end result was like stringy bitter baby food.

Years later a chef taught me - heat water to boiling (seriously) then add asparagus for no more than 5 minutes (usually much less except for really thick stalks) then pull asparagus out of the water and immediately soak in cold water to stop the cooking. Then season the asparagus. I skip the seasoning since I love it plain.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party I'm sure. Nothing says PARTY like asparagus , but I digress ....

FRESH - always. roasted in the oven with a small drizzle of olive oil , sea salt and garlic
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff - had it last night just steamed, but also good with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, or roasted, or grilled, or with bacon....mmmmmm!

It's cheap in California too - got it for .98 a lb yesterday. I love asparagus season!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love it - I buy fresh and steam it - drizzle a little basalmic vinegar on it and eat it up. It is a little expensive when you buy out of season. And just because the store bundles it in one pound sections, doesn't mean you have to buy a pound (at least not around here) Just take the rubber band off and buy a small portion to try it.

Make sure you cut about an inch off the ends because that part is tough (woody) - and buy the skinny stalks - that is the most tender. The thick ones are tough. (I'm married to a chef and that is what he told me and I've learned he is right!) shhh don't tell him that tho! LOL