thoughts on asparagus?

Options

Replies

• MarKayDee
    Options
    Am I the only person who can eat asparagus without it affecting their pee? I have literally never had this problem, and I eat asparagus 2-4 times a week.

I steam it and serve it with roast chicken, or I top mushroom risotto with it, or just eat it with my fingers off on my son's plate of chicken nuggets (he's two and loves his veggies, I am the luckiest mother in existence.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It is one of my favorite vegetables as long as you don't over cook it. It's good raw or lightly sauteed in olive oil or roasted. Gets mushy if you over cook it.

Canned is digusting mush. :sick:

Yes.

Also, I find it to be not very good when it's undercooked. It tends to taste kinda bitter. But when it's right? Best veggie EVER.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who can eat asparagus without it affecting their pee? I have literally never had this problem, and I eat asparagus 2-4 times a week.

I steam it and serve it with roast chicken, or I top mushroom risotto with it, or just eat it with my fingers off on my son's plate of chicken nuggets (he's two and loves his veggies, I am the luckiest mother in existence.)

I never have the issue normally, but I used to live close to a farm and when it was in season we ate loads of it (like a pound plus a day) then it affected me ymmv:noway:
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Asparagus done in a skillet with eggs and parmasean is like, the best meal ever
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it.

I cook it with a little olive oil and garlic and it is delicious.

Most people don't like that it makes your pee smell funny though.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I love it! Really really love it! If you are worried, steam or roast them really really well, and if the seem really wide or light at the end, cut it off as it can be a bit chewy and bitter. Really tender asparagus, a sort of rich flavour, I would say they taste more savory than other veggies, though have a distinct "green" flavour. Uh,mmmmmmm, I wish I had about a thousand asparagus right here now!
  • MarKayDee
    Options

I never have the issue normally, but I used to live close to a farm and when it was in season we ate loads of it (like a pound plus a day) then it affected me ymmv:noway:

I've eaten over a pound of it in a day without a pee issue, in fact I didn't know that was a thing until I was 15. My mom used to joke that I love it so much because the town I was born in, in Germany had an annual asparagus festival, I think it's just because who in their right mind doesn't like it.
  • moya_rargh
    moya_rargh Posts: 1,473 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus! I steam mine and dip it in anything :)

Makes my urine smell bizarre, though!?!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It tastes like a veggie. Like asparagus. I can't think of anything else that it tastes like.

It's high in iron. I like it.:smile:

I get asparagus pee.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Love it!! We baked it in the oven with alittle Olive oil and Salt and Pepper, about 5 minutes before we pull them out we sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on them and set on broil til the cheese is melted and crisp... :drinker:
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I only like the thin, fresh kind. I roast it with olive oil, salt and pepper or grill it with cooking spray
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    makes your pee smell but is super yummy.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. It makes your pee smell funny though.

You don't have to spend £3 on it, it's cheaper in May/June and tastier. They have it in Aldi and the market fruit stalls about that time too, maybe scrawiner specimens, but that way you won't have spent a lot if you don't like it.

I like it roasted, boiled, griddled, in a salad, dipped in egg or with hollandaise.

This recipe is good, from Ottolenghi, I just use splodges of soft goat's cheese. Could use Hallumi if you like it, too squeaky for me.

http://eattherightstuff.squarespace.com/blog/2008/6/7/char-grilled-asparagus-courgettes-and-manouri-salad.html
  • kbkeats
    kbkeats Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I looooove asparagus! I'll mi\x it in with my pasta, or eat it boiled on it's own with lemon juice. If you're looking for a bit less healthy option, I've also made "asparagus fries".
    Just take asparagus (trimmed), dip in beaten eggs, roll in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese, and bake. Delicious!
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    found frozen ones in asda for £2 :) boiled them for 30 mins... the taste was ok but they were stringy? :sick: have i boiled them for too long? they were un chew-able, yuk!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff.

Steamed with a little salt. Yum!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how am i going to describe how it tastes like to you? i love it. it tastes like asparagus. i generally oven roast it with oil, salt and pepper for about twenty minutes, depending how thick they are. if i want, i'll chop up some garlic (better through a press though) and spread it on it the last 3-5 minutes
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i love asparagus baked in olive oil with some spices on it... delicious... i like to eat it with chicken usually
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I always hated them until I had them grilled. Yum!
  • DirtyCurvesAhead
    Options
    asparagus.gif

^ That almost made me giggle.
    I must be easy because I lol'ed IRL!