I have no energy to work out :-/

Options

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, I wouldn't have the energy either if I was eating the amount of calories you are.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Eat more, definitely. . but everyone else said that already..

I've found that when starting or re-starting an exercise regime. . I'm very low on energy and have a really hard time "getting back" into it. . It's hard to get motivated because I feel I just won't be able to do much so why bother. .

but for me. . it's the doing it that fixes that problem!. .If I just force myself to do it. .within a week or so I'm back on track and loving it!. Even if you don't go all out the first few times. but just show up and do what you can. .

Also. .if you ARE doing some exercising then it's easier to get past that fear that you might be feeling of increasing your intake.

Good luck!
  • minuz5
    minuz5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Alright, everyone is buzzing about eating more carbs, true, if you're starving yourself then it's fair enough that you have no energy. Carbs - energy. But that's just a part of a game. Supplement your body with decent multivitamins! You'll see a big difference in your body. Energy levels, mental alertness, better focus, etc... So Carbs + vitamins.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Btw I am not starving myself...I eat and I feel full up and when I feel peckish I snack on fruit so I am never really ever that hungry.

I'm also giving up smoking so I thought the lack of energy could have been from that (probz an adding factor)

But defo taking into account that I need to eat more! just stay under my 1400 goal!

thanks guys! I really am no good at this eating healthy lifestyle...i'll either go overboard or underboard...never in the middle!

Be honest. You are not eating enough, therefore you are technically you are starving yourself. giving up smoking should give you more energy as your body is now able to absorb more oxygen and move it through your body more easily and your heart does not have to work as hard to do that. By not eating enough your body will begin to break down lean muscle.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Alright, everyone is buzzing about eating more carbs, true, if you're starving yourself then it's fair enough that you have no energy. Carbs - energy. But that's just a part of a game. Supplement your body with decent multivitamins! You'll see a big difference in your body. Energy levels, mental alertness, better focus, etc... So Carbs + vitamins.

No, she needs to eat more. not take a multivitamin.
  • HappyNewTamera2014
    Options
    Btw I am not starving myself...I eat and I feel full up and when I feel peckish I snack on fruit so I am never really ever that hungry.

I'm also giving up smoking so I thought the lack of energy could have been from that (probz an adding factor)

But defo taking into account that I need to eat more! just stay under my 1400 goal!

thanks guys! I really am no good at this eating healthy lifestyle...i'll either go overboard or underboard...never in the middle!

I quit smoking Jan 8th when I started my journey as well...it took me almost a full month to eat 1200 plus cals a day. I decided to be totally sedentary until I could eat sufficiently. I do not wish to lose muscle mass only fat. I started finding things that helped me hit 1200 plus calories a day and since I have begun to exercise by training for my first 5k in Oct. I easily eat 1300 cals a day now and earn anywhere from 300 to 800 from exercise. Exercising makes me hungry. Cravings make me exercise to earn them. Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I try not to eat too many processed foods. Those combos tend to alter my hormones.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

For the record, when people say they're "starving," it's more "slangy" to use that to mean hungry? The word starving means a lack of food, or deprivation, though; you don't have to feel hungry to be starving your body. Hormones control appetite, and can very quickly adapt once less food is coming into your body. In other words, when people are starving, they often can lose hunger signals.

You not feeling hungry, but feeling a lack of energy, seems to line up with that! The change with smoking might be a culprit, as well, but since calories = energy, it's a good first thing to look at when energy waxes or wanes :wink:

As for the moderation issue, perhaps looking into other posts on the subject here or in other places might help. Learning balance is key to success in not only weight loss and fitness, but life.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eat more....that is literally the best thing I heard all week :-D I love the sound of that...what can I increase? Carbs as in pasta, potatoes etc? and what fat is good fat? otherwise I will shovel doughnuts and other junk down my throat lol!

I am thinking of eating carbs during the day and not in the evening?

I recommend staying away from refined carbs (like pasta and breads) because they are not really efficient sources of energy--you'll get more calories, but feel less satiated and energetic. Instead, focus on whole foods, full fat (but healthy fats). For example, you could have a couple scrambled eggs with avocado. Or have a steak with a baked potato with fresh salsa on it and veggies sauteed in olive oil. Just be sure to weigh and measure everything (especially the olive oil--the calories can add up!). Those sorts of meals will up your calories with nutrient dense foods. You'll feel full and energetic on fewer calories than if you eat pastas and breads. Good luck! :-)
  • Micha121
    Options
    I think a mixture of both will make the world of difference! you can never go wrong with Vitamins!

Will defo add more carbs into the equation...some nuts etc...and a chocolate bar every now and then....

it would be great to look at someone's diary who is eating a balanced diet

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eat more, definitely. . but everyone else said that already..

I've found that when starting or re-starting an exercise regime. . I'm very low on energy and have a really hard time "getting back" into it. . It's hard to get motivated because I feel I just won't be able to do much so why bother. .

but for me. . it's the doing it that fixes that problem!. .If I just force myself to do it. .within a week or so I'm back on track and loving it!. Even if you don't go all out the first few times. but just show up and do what you can. .

Also. .if you ARE doing some exercising then it's easier to get past that fear that you might be feeling of increasing your intake.

Good luck!

Very true! The trick is to "fake it until you make it" with exercise. Just force yourself to do it every day (or every other day, whichever your goal is), whether you feel like it or not and then you'll find that you want to do and feel better when you do!
  • Kndrf
    Kndrf Posts: 5
    Options
    More calories more water more sleep ..some stretches in the morning and u will be ok
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    You only average 1000 calories of food per day and you say you work out, there's your answer, fish bulb!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I think a mixture of both will make the world of difference! you can never go wrong with Vitamins!

Will defo add more carbs into the equation...some nuts etc...and a chocolate bar every now and then....

it would be great to look at someone's diary who is eating a balanced diet

'

My diary is open, you can look if you'd like.
  • RobotZombieNinja
    Options
    Eat more....that is literally the best thing I heard all week :-D I love the sound of that...what can I increase? Carbs as in pasta, potatoes etc? and what fat is good fat? otherwise I will shovel doughnuts and other junk down my throat lol!

i like that you said that.

eat what you'd like. good fat is usually from places like nuts and vegetables like avocados, or fatty fish like salmon, and just regular cooking oil.

some people do prefer carbs during the day, as it's usually a good source of quick energy, but eat how you'd like. if you want a big bowl of pasta for dinner, go for it!

This...and make sure you're getting plenty of rest.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options

it would be great to look at someone's diary who is eating a balanced diary.

I just started this, so my results aren't in. .but here's a spreadsheet that works with MFP that helped me figure out my dietary ratios (macronutrients: Fat, Carbs, Protein). . The idea is to keep all these balanced. .After you find a meal plan that balances these according to the percentages from the spreadsheet, you tweak it for other important nutrients like sodium / sugar / fiber / etc. It's very easy to use as it tells you EXACTLY how to set up your MFP profile. Anyway. . here's the link. I downloaded a copy for myself. If you can fit a chocolate bar in there, great!. but you'll find that this method steers you toward healthy foods, which is the idea.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE
  • caquandt2012
    Options
    I was in the same position - exhausted. My trainer put me at 1,600 calories per day because I was too low. (I'm in the gym 3 days/wk lifting and 2 days cardio, around an hour each time. I have a desk job and am a student - so lots of time sitting when I'm not at the gym.) Keep everything balanced between protein, carbs, and fat by staying within the percents given - don't load any one category. I've also been eating more whole grains for my carbs - quinoa, bulgar, etc -. and that seems to help keep me steady all day with no spikes of energy. I've also been told to avoid fruits in the evening because they spike your sugar levels. Also try to eat every 2 hours with a bit of protein in each "mini meal". It keeps me from getting overly hungry and prevents a binge or making poor choices.

Good luck!
  • CorinneyJ
    CorinneyJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I first started eating fewer calories, but then found that I have WAY more energy in the morning and try to do my workouts first thing. That way, it's behind me which I find very motivating. I also like to think of the mantra "No matter how slow I go, I'm still lapping everyone on the couch" and that really lights the fire under me. Good luck!
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

it would be great to look at someone's diary who is eating a balanced diary.

I just started this, so my results aren't in. .but here's a spreadsheet that works with MFP that helped me figure out my dietary ratios (macronutrients: Fat, Carbs, Protein). . The idea is to keep all these balanced. .After you find a meal plan that balances these according to the percentages from the spreadsheet, you tweak it for other important nutrients like sodium / sugar / fiber / etc. It's very easy to use as it tells you EXACTLY how to set up your MFP profile. Anyway. . here's the link. I downloaded a copy for myself. If you can fit a chocolate bar in there, great!. but you'll find that this method steers you toward healthy foods, which is the idea.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

Sounds like a lot of work with no real benefit
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Complex carbs first thing in the morning along with protein will sustain your energy. Aim to eat complex carbs with protein at each meal but in smaller quantities of carbs later in the day. Carbs can make you sleepy but also give you quick energy.. strange how that works. Eat an apple forty minutes before your workout for quick energy. Make yourself commit to 30 minutes of moderate exercise and if you feel great you can keep going. It's a trick I have to play on myself some days when I just don't feel like it... Protein and complex carbs after workout. Some recommend chocolate milk immediately after a work out, I go for almond milk (dark chocolate) YUM! Just factor all of your food in and you will find you have energy when you eat enough.